A pretty May day with my XP Pistol

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool

CYA friends:

Spent the afternoon shooting my XP pistol.

Brought back old memories.

Steve Turner owned this #4 pistol for a lot of years.

The last registered ARA match I can remember him shooting it, was the Indiana State ARA several years ago, at Livonia.

Anyone who has shot at Livonia during the day knows what the shooting conditions can be like, and they were kinda windy, as usual, for that Indiana State.

Anyway, after the 5th card, I was helping score, Steve was in the lead.

As he walked out the door of the clubhouse I said to Steve, "A 2300 and no one can beat you"

Steve then said, " It's up to me now, ain't it? "

Steve walked out there and laid down either a 2300 or maybe a 2350............and of course won.

Number 4 is kinda interesting.

It has a manual re-set trigger..........I'll do a little movie of it one day..........the neat thing about a manual re-set for the Remington pattern trigger is that the upward pressure of the transfer bar against the bottom of the cocking piece is entirely eliminated.

I produced this conversion back in the early 90's and yes, it has 6 ignition, so I've been using 6 ignition for a lot of years now......

You know, I've known the benefit of 6 ignition since the middle 80's when I produced my first XP with it, but I never thought the day would come when we would have it in custom RFBR actions........................

And now, today, we take 6 ignition for granted...........

Anyway, man these pistols are fun to shoot.......my competitive shooting days ended years ago, but, if someway I ever did shoot again, it would be with a pistol, and would I feel handicapped? Not hardly.

About this little movie:

For me to do a "through the scope" movie requires me to hold a magnifier in one hand so I can see the tiny screen on the back of the camera.

You can't do this with a pistol as it takes both hands to shoot it...........

But, I've been thinking about a way to mount a magnifier on the back of the camera mount so it will be hands free...........

When I get it rigged up, I'll do some through the scope movies..........

It is simply amazing how these pistols shoot.........

Big Dog has got that #12 pistol, a Shilen Ratchet and the last time I was up to Big Dogs cabin I got to shoot it.........

Man that thing will pickum' up and layum' down...............

My #4 won't run with Big Dogs #12..................it's close, but that #12's Ratchet will best my #4's Lilja.............

But that situation is subject to change............

Anyway, what a pleasant afternoon pistol shooting........

Your friend, Bill Calfee

A little fun movie

Last edited:

CYA friends:

Spent the afternoon shooting my XP pistol.

Brought back old memories.

Steve Turner owned this #4 pistol for a lot of years.

The last registered ARA match I can remember him shooting it, was the Indiana State ARA several years ago, at Livonia.

Anyone who has shot at Livonia during the day knows what the shooting conditions can be like, and they were kinda windy, as usual, for that Indiana State.

Anyway, after the 5th card, I was helping score, Steve was in the lead.

As he walked out the door of the clubhouse I said to Steve, "A 2300 and no one can beat you"

Steve then said, " It's up to me now, ain't it? "

Steve walked out there and laid down either a 2300 or maybe a 2350............and of course won.

Number 4 is kinda interesting.

It has a manual re-set trigger..........I'll do a little movie of it one day..........the neat thing about a manual re-set for the Remington pattern trigger is that the upward pressure of the transfer bar against the bottom of the cocking piece is entirely eliminated.

I produced this conversion back in the early 90's and yes, it has 6 ignition, so I've been using 6 ignition for a lot of years now......

You know, I've known the benefit of 6 ignition since the middle 80's when I produced my first XP with it, but I never thought the day would come when we would have it in custom RFBR actions........................

And now, today, we take 6 ignition for granted...........

Anyway, man these pistols are fun to shoot.......my competitive shooting days ended years ago, but, if someway I ever did shoot again, it would be with a pistol, and would I feel handicapped? Not hardly.

About this little movie:

For me to do a "through the scope" movie requires me to hold a magnifier in one hand so I can see the tiny screen on the back of the camera.

You can't do this with a pistol as it takes both hands to shoot it...........

But, I've been thinking about a way to mount a magnifier on the back of the camera mount so it will be hands free...........

When I get it rigged up, I'll do some through the scope movies..........

It is simply amazing how these pistols shoot.........

Big Dog has got that #12 pistol, a Shilen Ratchet and the last time I was up to Big Dogs cabin I got to shoot it.........

Man that thing will pickum' up and layum' down...............

My #4 won't run with Big Dogs #12..................it's close, but that #12's Ratchet will best my #4's Lilja.............

But that situation is subject to change............

Anyway, what a pleasant afternoon pistol shooting........

Your friend, Bill Calfee

A little fun movie

Howdy Bill,
"But that situation is subject to change....", that got me tickled. Probably made Mike a little uneasy!

Man! That pistol looks like fun! Part of the appeal is the simplicity in the shooting setup. Seems like a bipod setup such as that should work on a rifle too, shouldn't it?

Take care,

Greg

Friend 404tbang

Howdy Bill,
"But that situation is subject to change....", that got me tickled. Probably made Mike a little uneasy!

Man! That pistol looks like fun! Part of the appeal is the simplicity in the shooting setup. Seems like a bipod setup such as that should work on a rifle too, shouldn't it?

Take care,

Greg

Friend 404tbang:

There's a dirty little secret about this rimfire benchrest shooting, which is this: ............."it not only isn't a handicap when one uses a bi-pod, it's actually an advantage"......

With a bi-pod the orientation of the gun never changes....

There's a built-in recoil retarding system.............which by the way, unlike a bunji cord or torquing down the front rest, never changes.....this is a biggie.....

And talk about the ultimate straight line..............

Folks use one piece rests to keep the orientation of the gun, rests points, constant as it moves across the target...........with a bi-pod it's automatic.

Friend 404tbang, I'll never shoot competitively again, but if I did, it would be with a pistol...........off a bi-pod.

And, if for some unknown reason I decided to shoot a rifle, it would be off of a bi-pod, also.........

Next time you're up, we'll go to the range and I'll let you shoot little #4.................

But be forewarned: They'll hook you faster than anything you've ever shot.........

These little XP pistols are the easiest RFBR guns to sell in the world, hands down............all you have to do, is to get the prospective buyer to shoot it.............it's sold.

Your buddy, BC

TCA pistol legal?

Would it be legal to use a new TCA action and make a pistol instead of a rifle? I know that is is illegal to use a barrel on a rifle shorter than 16" , and the minimum legal length for a rifle is 26". So if someone used a TCA action and installed A "normal" length rimfire bench rest barrel of 24"-30" the result, no matter what kind of stock was used, should be considered a "rifle" legally...right? Mr. C has almost convinced me to try it.

Maybe Mr. C will do one....he seems lo love super accurate pistols....

Bn1

Friend Bn1

Would it be legal to use a new TCA action and make a pistol instead of a rifle? I know that is is illegal to use a barrel on a rifle shorter than 16" , and the minimum legal length for a rifle is 26". So if someone used a TCA action and installed A "normal" length rimfire bench rest barrel of 24"-30" the result, no matter what kind of stock was used, should be considered a "rifle" legally...right? Mr. C has almost convinced me to try it.

Maybe Mr. C will do one....he seems lo love super accurate pistols....

Bn1

Friend Bn1:

As good as my XP's are, they simply do not have the ultimate accuracy potential of a TCA action..........

Here's some things to keep in mind...........oh, and I've seriously thought of doing just what you describe.

I found out back in the late 80's, when I decided to convert one of my XP-22, IHMSA Silhouette pistols to a BR-50 bench pistol, that the most accurate way to stock one was the center grip method.

I tried rear grip with a wide fore-end placed on conventional rests.........a rear grip off of a bi-pod and finally the center grip, both rested and off a bi-pod....

Center grip off of the bi-pod, no question about it........

So, if I were to do this, I'd center grip it.................which means one would need to have a linkage type trigger, like the XP.

This makes it a little more complicated since the TCA's use a trigger hanger which protrudes below the bottom of the action, whereas the XP trigger is pinned flush with the bottom of the action...........

If I did this, and again I've thought a lot about it, I believe I'd mill the bottom of the trigger hanger opening so I could shim the opening then cross drill the action so I could install a XP trigger by pinning it like a Remington trigger.

I'd also have to have a recoil lug so the trigger linkage could be hung from it like and XP.

There is a difference in the linkage length but changing this would be a very minor problem.

Here's what I firmly believe about doing this:

In the hands of a dedicated shooter, a TCA center grip pistol, off of a bi-pod, would most certainly run with rifles off of one piece rests.........

Even my XP's will do this, although if I'm truthful about it, and I have always called things just like they are, my XP's won't do it like a TCA could.

I'm too old now, and don't have enough physical energy left to be able to keep up with my mind.............

Since I got my #4 pistol back, and have been playing with it, my old pistol spirit has been rekindled..........

There's a part of me that wants to chuck the rifle making and go back to my pistols.........and if I did this, yes, there would be TCA pistols....

Would this be stupid of me?..........is there enough potential pistol business, since you don't see them being shot anymore?

I guarantee if I did get up the nerve to do this, I'd have a long waiting list of potential pistol users in sight of a month.

But will I?

I probably don't have the gumption at this stage in my life.

I do have my #14 pistol under construction........and hopefully one day I will get time to finish it.........

The one thing about my XP's, is the fact that they are doable now.......and I've had years of experience learning all of their secrets....

But would I love to have a TCA, center grip pistol, man, you better believe it.......

After talking so much about Big Dog bringing out his Ratchet barreled #12 pistol, I've probably put way too much pressure on him.....

But, I will say one thing, if Big Dog ever does it, and gets back comfortable shooting a pistol in competition, he will open some eyes....

I don't think he's turned a 2500 yet, but, I've seen him turn 2450's with it at his cabin range.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I'd sure like one !
I don't have the knowledge to convert/build one. But I'd sure like to find one for sale, just point me in the direction.

Friend Bill,

Loved that movie! Nothing like shooting one of those little XP's on a nice sunny day. I got mine just 2 years ago, and it is such a pleasure to shoot, especially the way you showed me just like in your movie. Of course, I've thoroughly enjoyed my other 2 XP-22's for many years of silhouette competition, and they still remain my favorites.

You really need to finish your #14, then make some more of them, like we talked about on WWA. I would surely like to have another one some day.

Friend, Dean

Friend Bill,

Loved that movie! Nothing like shooting one of those little XP's on a nice sunny day. I got mine just 2 years ago, and it is such a pleasure to shoot, especially the way you showed me just like in your movie. Of course, I've thoroughly enjoyed my other 2 XP-22's for many years of silhouette competition, and they still remain my favorites.

You really need to finish your #14, then make some more of them, like we talked about on WWA. I would surely like to have another one some day.

Friend, Dean

Friend IHMSA80X80:

I wish I had ten just like #4 built and ready...........cause they'd be gone in a week............

I have a Baity 6 ignition bolt for #14 that Johnathan made up for me some years ago.........so I'm good there....

I'll be using a Mullerworks barrel, but, there's no way I'd ask Dan Muller to make me a big breech end blank.........he's way too busy....

I've got a 90 driver and a standard MI, both .900's.............and both un-lapped..........

I'm going to re-profile one of them down to .825, then taper lap it............

Then I'm going to do something different.........

The breech end of the barrel has to be stepped down to .700" so it will fit back into the breech bolt raceway to the loading port opening, just like all XP-22's..............

But, I'm going to bush the giant Remington thread down to .825" x32 TPI................and use a lock ring...........

And, I'm going to only reduce the breech down to .700" just the length of the chamber, actually slightly less than the length...

I'm going to have the most distortion free barrel ever put on one of my XP's................

Your friend, BC

That was a Good movie about the XP!!

Friend Bill,

Friend, Dean

IHMSA80x80,
You are right about the little movie, it was good. It's real interesting about those pistols. I would be scared to shoot one as then I'd would have to get me one to! Y'all have fun with them.
YBRF!! Rambo
(Douglas)

IHMSA80x80,
You are right about the little movie, it was good. It's real interesting about those pistols. I would be scared to shoot one as then I'd would have to get me one to! Y'all have fun with them.
YBRF!! Rambo
(Douglas)

Nothing to be afraid of. After you shot one, you would want to sell everything in order to get your own. The only problem would be finding one. Very few want to sell theirs. I was extremely lucky when I found my latest one.

uLPgvxd.jpg

Last edited:
They look like a HOOT to shoot!

Nothing to be afraid of. After you shot one, you would want to sell everything in order to get your own. The only problem would be finding one. Very few want to sell theirs. I was extremely lucky when I found my latest one.

CalfeeXPBR57_zps991a0b22.jpg
[/IMG]

IHMSA80x80,
That's a good looking XP you are showing there! I got so many 22's now and can't shoot them all. I would love to shoot one those XP's for sure and maybe one day I will. Thanks for sharing!
YBRF! Rambo
(Douglas)

I’m excited that Mr. C is pursuing a TCA action pistol...your posts will fuel my daydreams. This is the most exciting news on precision shooting that I have seen for quite some time!

Friend Bn1

I’m excited that Mr. C is pursuing a TCA action pistol...your posts will fuel my daydreams. This is the most exciting news on precision shooting that I have seen for quite some time!

Friend Bn1:

Can you imagine a pistol with MD-PAS ignition........that would be the ultimate.

I have to shorten the entire ignition system of a 40-X breech bolt for an XP pistol..

So I can blueprint the 40-X ignition, used by an XP, so as to have the absolute best SAP ignition possible.

But no SAP ignition, even with me doing the blueprinting, has the uniformity of well blueprinted MD-PAS ignition.

One reason I love this new IR-50 10-SHOT so much, which is the most pure accuracy demanding RFBR discipline, by far, is because it demonstrates the difference in ignition uniformity between MD-PAS and SAP ignition.

Shooters using MD-PAS ignitioned guns have completely dominated the three major 10-SHOT events so far....

The worlds best SAP ignitioned shooters were in attendance at these first three 10-SHOT events and couldn't come close.

And these first three major 10-SHOT events were indoors, which places a premium on the accuracy of the equipment.

I have to have another pistol......and I'd love for it to be on a TCA action...

But I'm kinda stuck right now, since the TCA's I have are 10-X versions with left ports.

10-X opens the loading port up way too much at the top, killing the backbone of the action, which prevents me from dual porting mine.

And a pistol for a right hand shooters needs the port, and bolt, on the right side.

Making a pistol from a TCA with a rear grip would be no problem since a regular trigger can be used.

But, I've tried rear grip and I simply could not get the accuracy that I can with the center grip stocks.

By the way, a good project for the "scientific minded" rimfire accuracy folks, would be to figure out why the center grip works so much better.

Anyway, a pistol with MD-PAS ignition would be something.......that's for sure.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Friend Bn1, I've already worked out the details of converting a 40-X breech bolt to MD-PAS ignition....

But, a 40-X breech bolt has to have the rear, or ignition half, of the breech bolt shortened 1/2" for an XP pistol.

So there's not enough room left to incorporate MD-PAS into the XP length breech bolt..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom