The Triple Crown - The Primer

Tony K Harper

Triple Crown – The Primer

The first ever, fully sanctioned, Triple Crown match will be held at the Kettlefoot, Va. 23-24 May 2015.

This promises to be the largest Rimfire Benchrest match ever held in this country.

It also represents the first time all three of the major rimfire benchrest organizations have come together for a combine event.

What are we shooting? Three American Rimfire Association (ARA) cards, three Professional Shooting League (PSL) cards, and three

International Rimfire (IR) 50/50 cards, over two days.

Whomever shoots the best, over the 225 shots will be the Triple Crown winner, and will be crowned, or should I say Triple Crowned?

The prestige alone will be fantastic, and then there is the cash that goes along with it. Pictures will be taken, babies will be crying, it will be fantastic!

Who are the shooters? The best this country has to offer will be there. The best from some other countries will also be there.

This is it. We may never shoot an event of the size, and prestige again.

Everyone serious about competitive rimfire shooting should be there. I did not say competitive benchrest rimfire shooting, I said competitive rimfire shooting.

Regardless of disciple, there is a great many things that can be learned about competitive rimfire shooting at this match.

Rimfire benchrest represents the cutting edge of rimfire accuracy. Every shooter/gunsmith will pull out all stops at this match.

This is the Match! No more hedging, no more saving your best stuff for later, no more excuses. It’s all on the table, your all in, it’s time to go for broke.

Be there or be square. Pictures, and an equipment list will not begin to tell you what happened like being present will.

It is not too late to sign up and shoot. We have benches available. Come on down, be part of it.

Who are the front runners? The winter season has produced some shooters that are clearly on top of the game.

In no particular order I’ll list some names.

I’ll start with Ivan Wells. He has shot more 2500s than we have ever seen in a single indoor season.

He has also started the outdoor seasons with a bang.

Next, Chuck Morrell, he is the PSL leader, and has shot great all winter.

Next, Jim Morehead, he handily won the Kettlefoot PSL, made it look easy. Not to mention he shot a 2400+ agg. Tournament this winter.

Joe Besche, won more matches than anyone last year, and has plans to do it again this year. He won this year’s Kettlefoot ARA Tournament.

Noah Johns, yes, that is right, he is a junior that can kick all our butts. I’m not even going to try to list his accomplishments.

Tom Wilkinson has come on strong this winter season. Started his outdoor season by finishing second in the Kettlefoot ARA tournament.

Jeff Jeffreys, shot the first, and the only, back to back, outdoor ARA 2500s ever shot. Had the nerve to do it sitting next to me! Ohcch!

These are the hot guns, but we have others that always seem to be in the top of the shooters lists.

Fred Sears, never take your eyes off Fred. He is odds on favorite in any crowd, in any ARA, PSL, or IR 50/50 match.

Jerry McFall, always right there near the top.

Richard Gorham, he can win anytime, anywhere.

Todd Wooten, always a threat, anywhere he shoots.

Mike Cameron, can show up, and take this thing home. He shoots IR 50/50, as well as ARA, and PSL.

Bruce Doster, has been shooting very well, and this just may be his day to shine.

Jason Thornhill, tough anytime anywhere.

I could have listed any number of shooters that are just as deserving.

But the truth is everyone has a chance to win!

WE start Saturday morning with zero points. There will be three relays. We will rotate benches every target.

When you shoot, and where you shoot, has a way of evening up the odds.

You will have 20 minutes per card, and what you do with that 20 minutes will determine where you finish.

Over the two days you have 225 scoring shots to make. Remember what Harry Deneen said, “throw no shots away”.

What he was saying was if you don’t think you know where it is going, don’t pull the trigger.

No shooter has this thing in the bag. The bag is up for grabs, come get you some!!!

Sponsors: An event of this size can’t take place without sponsors.

We are so lucky to have the ones we do. I’m not going to reprint the list of sponsors here, but I ask every shooter to look over the list,

make sure you go to these businesses first. When you buy, make sure you tell them how much we appreciate their support.

Without them, none of this happens.

See you on the firing line.

TKH

Last edited:
Tony..
Well written promotion for the Triple Crown..I think the excitement for the shoot is starting to build in all the shooters.
You left out one important detail...that would be your name at the top of the list of shooters that are likely to win....

Tom

It doesn't get any better than this.....

Top competition, cutting edge equipment, sponsor participation, and friends from all locations & many different vocations sharing in a common interest, it doesn't get any better than this. We are all fortunate to be a part of this great event. I agree with TKH that we all need to show our appreciation to all of our sponsors and the hospitality of the Kettlefoot Club in making this "Triple Crown Tournament" possible. Also I would like to thank Paul Tolvstad for taking the leadership role in planning this event.

Remember to bring your "A" game, a smile, and a handshake to Kettlefoot for a great weekend event. See you at Kettlefoot.

Mike Sherrill
"Big Dog"

Friend Big Dog

Top competition, cutting edge equipment, sponsor participation, and friends from all locations & many different vocations sharing in a common interest, it doesn't get any better than this. We are all fortunate to be a part of this great event. I agree with TKH that we all need to show our appreciation to all of our sponsors and the hospitality of the Kettlefoot Club in making this "Triple Crown Tournament" possible. Also I would like to thank Paul Tolvstad for taking the leadership role in planning this event.

Remember to bring your "A" game, a smile, and a handshake to Kettlefoot for a great weekend event. See you at Kettlefoot.

Mike Sherrill
"Big Dog"

Friend Big Dog:

I'll second..................

By the way, one of these days you need to get that Ratchet barreled #12 pistol out and turn it loose...............

Big Dog, I'm wanting to get back into pistols so bad it's killing me.....

I dream of a full on, TCA actioned, Muller 90 Driver barreled pistol, with someone like you doing the driving...........

Or Mark Meadows.................Mark can drive one as well as anyone..........

This Triple Crown is going to be double bad killer............Man, I can't wait.

Thanks TDX for your Triple Crown Primer............

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Mr. Bill, I will 3rd it!!

I'll will 3rd this! This is a good write up from Mr. TKH as I have shot with some of the guy's he has talked about on here. Got a lot of good tips and idea's from some of them to!! I'll say GOOD LUCK to all the ones that will be shooting in Triple Crown to!!
YBRF!! Rambo
(Douglas)

Back
Top Bottom