Friend Peter Armstrong

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Friend Peter Armstrong

Here's a quote from you from another thread, when you mentioned a new MD made in Australia without any wobble.

"We have some smart guys down here who have designed a tuner that doesn't have any any wobble in it like you get in a Harrell. I've heard the design work was done with 3D printers and then CNC machine the parts and going by results they do seem to work."

Peter, my original MD was hard attached to the barrel....

The RVA MD is hard attached to the barrel........

When Ron Hoehn came up with his easily adjustable MD, based on my original 8 ounce version, he had to incorporate rubber "O" rings to be able to stabilize the weight head through its click adjustment ......this was not done for any perceived notion of helping accuracy.

But, over the years, and with the success of the rubber insulated weight head MD, there is a difference of opinion developing as the whether the weight head of the MD works better insulated from the barrel, or, mounted solid.

The school is still out on this extremely important issue.................

My practical opinion as to which is better?:

I honestly do not know............

But my gut opinion:

I believe that Ron Hoehn, by necessity of design, stumbled onto something..................with the insulated weight head of his HH/MD.

That insulated weight head gives the "protective length" of the Parallel Node time to stabilize................before the bullet exits the muzzle.

Therefore, and this is simply my gut............solid mounted MD's will never come into vogue, unless they are integral to the barrel............for the reason I stated.

Remember, this is by gut..............

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Bill

So far I haven't played with one of these tuners so I don't really know, but I might have one with me at the Triple Crown.

I've noticed a few guns with this tuner that shot better than I thought they might, so my next build I'm going to try one of these tuners to see how it goes. They have a finer thread and one full turn might only move the head about 1mm and then you can lock the head but I don't know if it can be left unlocked.

Peter

PS a solid tune on a sporter seems to work.

Bill

Peter

PS a solid tune on a sporter seems to work.

Friend Peter Armstrong:

Here's the last comment from my thread starter above:

"Therefore, and this is simply my gut............solid mounted MD's will never come into vogue, unless they are integral to the barrel."...........for the reason I stated.

Yes, the MD on my sporter profiles is integral with the barrel.

I have my theory as to why the insulated weight head is a benefit............but it is only a theory, and my gut.

It may not be, when it's all said and done....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Bill

The Huntsman tuner certainly works well
I have no idea "why" it works as well as it does but I think i may be in part something to do with the mico adjustment of the tuner?
It locks back on its self when the correct adjustment is found and is rock solid like a lock nut.
Norm Bardell ,Tony Steele and Neil Digweed designed them and so far a rifle with one fitted on it has set two new Australian records.
I know that tunnel results are not the be all to end all but, that rifle also has shot a 0.005 group of five shots at fifty metres.
On another rifle it shot a 0.06 inch group at one hundred yards in the tunnel.
John Radford who shot the 1500 at the IRB worlds last year in France sent Norm a email stating it was the best tuner he had ever used.
Again though I have no idea why it works as well as it does but they seem to be going alright .
kind regards Ben

Bill
I now have one of the Huntsman tuners and I'll be taking it to the Triple Crown and if anyone wants a look at it they only need to ask me.

I don't have any photos but think of a von Ahrens type tuner with the fine adjustment but the whole head moves and then locks into place, it came with stackable weights and could easily used as a tuner with a lighter moving head than a Harrell too.

Peter

Bill
I now have one of the Huntsman tuners and I'll be taking it to the Triple Crown and if anyone wants a look at it they only need to ask me.

I don't have any photos but think of a von Ahrens type tuner with the fine adjustment but the whole head moves and then locks into place, it came with stackable weights and could easily used as a tuner with a lighter moving head than a Harrell too.

Peter

Friend Peter Armstrong:

I've had more experience with MDs than any other human being on Earth........I invented them a quarter century ago.

And with all of this experience, my gut tells me that the insulated weight-head MD just may have an accuracy producing advantage over a separately mounted MD where the weight-head is mounted solid, at least for the average Joe.

Will a solid mounted style weight-head MD work as well as a rubber insulated weight head MD?

Yes I think so, if, it is extremely precisely mounted to the barrel.

Peter, if one can mount a solid fit weight-head MD to a barrel, so it maintains the same physical attributes as a integral to the barrel MD, it will work fine.

But my gut, along with a quarter century of experience tells me, that for the day in and day out RFBR gun, the solid mounted weight head MD is not going to replace the rubber insulated weight-head version, again, except in very precise applications.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom