Is a 3-Lug Action Significantly better than a 2-Lug in Rimfire

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Is a 3-Lug Action Significantly better than a 2-Lug in Rimfire

CYA friends:

I was looking on Dan Killough's web site at the new KSS Straight Line stocks.

The all fiberglass fill version is going to be most interesting as it is something entirely new, as far as I know.

I was always under the impression that the Edge, HV version was a full fill, but I found out it isn't......

So actually having an entirely filled stock is exciting.

Anyway, I noticed the poll that Dan has going:

"Is a 3-Lug Action Significantly better than a 2-Lug in Rimfire"

The use of the word "Significantly" was interesting.

CYA friends, the days of "anything new" being "significantly better" in the advancement of rimfire accuracy, are pretty much over.

Today we're trying to rake the last few crumbs from the rimfire accuracy table.

Are the triple lug, PAS actions potentially better?...........yes........ but significantly better?..........I don't think one could make that claim with today's level of rimfire accuracy.

So the proper answer to Dan's poll question would be, of course, no.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Mr Calfee
Bill I went walk about and heard that a engineer with 4 benchrest actions in rimfire is now making a 3 lug.
Surely this must mean his vast studies have shown this to be a significant improvement?
Lynn

Friend Lynn

Mr Calfee
Bill I went walk about and heard that a engineer with 4 benchrest actions in rimfire is now making a 3 lug.
Surely this must mean his vast studies have shown this to be a significant improvement?
Lynn

Friend Lynn:

That's pretty significant.

Friend Lynn, as far as I know, the only makers of PAS ignitioned, triple lug, rimfire actions, in the USA, are 10-X and Turbo.

I ain't quite got Tom Wilkinson talked into it yet.............

If Tom ever decided to test the waters, I guarantee, that his PAS ignitioned, triple lug actions would re-define the word, "significant".

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Friend wsmallwood

Significantly better? Marginally better? Materially better? All mean something different to different people. In other words it's very subjective.

Question is, from what I'm kinda of getting, it's not really worth the effort and expense. Is it?
If not, I have a 10X I would like a 90 degree lug put on and a new barrel. I have both. I don't think it would matter if there was a notch cut for a three lug. Or, If somebody wants to do it, I'll sell the action and the three lug conversion kit and find something else. It's RB/RP

Friend wsmallwood:

Yes it is worth it, or maybe I should say that it will be worth it one day.

We all have to crawl before we walk................

The "only" issue with the state of the PAS ignitioned, triple lug RFBR action, is the fact that no action maker, yet, has refined the product to the state of perfection that I, and others, want.

As of this very minute, the 10-X version is the only one worth fooling with, and it ain't refined like I want, yet.

Wally, as everyone knows, I hope, I don't take new contract work, haven't for years, but, what I do, do, in the future, will use a PAS ignitioned, triple lug action as the basis.

The test I ran on March, 26 of 2014, after I had just finished my triple lug proto, sealed the deal.

When I screwed on that over-sized, 6 groove Lilja slave, a barrel that was never hot, and it shot like it did, the deed was done.....

Wally, Rome wasn't built in a day......in my case, I am extremely limited as to the amount of time I can work each day.......

I'm just now getting caught up with long over-due projects............

And I'm so looking forward to getting into, whatever it takes, to refine the PAS, triple lug actions that are available.

That is, if I can get the action makers to listen.

My days of dual lug actions are just about over............I have one left to complete, but I ain't in no hurry.

Wally, having said the above, and yes, I'm 100% into triple lugs, but, if I were starting a new build today, and had to have someone else build it for me, I would use the X-90 as the basis.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Back
Top Bottom