"A mini version of a completely stationary barrel"

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool

CYA friends:

My muzzle device has revolutionized accuracy over this last quarter century.

With the single exception of my experimental lapping of the barrel on Butt Naked, no serious individual would consider building a RFBR gun today without a muzzle device.

CYA friends, here's a quote from another thread, probably one of the most profound statements about what and why a MD does what it does:

"See, mother nature, GOD, some karma in the universe, whatever, has given us shooters, who have to deal with a vibrating barrel as the bullet travels down the bore, a mini version of a completely stationary barrel, if, we have enough sense to make use of it.

Making use of this gift from GOD, mother nature, the universe or whatever, is what stopping the muzzle, with a properly weighted and positioned MD, is all about."

This simple quote above, is probably the very best explanation I've ever read to describe, exactly, what the Parallel Node is.

The Parallel Node is in fact, a "mini version" of a completely stationary barrel, as a bullet is passing through it.

When one thoroughly understands the Parallel Node, and the physics surrounding it, every serious question, or observation, concerning the function of a muzzle device, will have a clear explanation.

Here's just one example:

How many times have you read comments from folks, serious well meaning folks, who feel there are multiple "sweet spots" in their MD adjustment range?

The fact is, there is only one "sweet spot" that a properly weighted and adjusted MD produces, that being the setting that moves the "exact center" of the Parallel Node to the exit of the crown, ie., stopping the muzzle.

But, because the Parallel Node has what I term a "length of protection", which, as long as every round produces a velocity that maintains barrel vibrations within this "length of protection", the gun will shoot equally as well as if the muzzle were truly stopped, without actually having the exact center of the PN at the exit of the crown.

This means you can move the MD to multiple settings and maintain killer accuracy, as long as those settings produce the above result.

Being able to do this, would, of course, give some folks the impression that there are multiple sweet spots in their MD range of adjustment.

By the way, for the folks who insist they have multiple sweet spots from one end of the adjustment range to the other, I'm sorry, but they'll have to demonstrate that one to me, cause that is an impossibility.

Yes, this is the perfect, mental pictorial explanation of what the Parallel Node is.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom