First five rounds, movie

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
First five rounds, movie

CYA friends:

Had threatening weather yesterday afternoon as I started to test this new Mullerworks, corrugated 8.........

My original intent was to start the camera and sight the scope in, then shoot a 5 shot group...........good or bad, either way you would have seen the movie............

Anyway, I held in the center of the target and fired the first round, then a second round return to battery, then moved the cross hairs down and right, to the two shots, then went ahead and fired the next three RTB...........

I had fired two rounds in my bucket to check the differential between my firing pin resting on its mechanical stop and it resting in the case head....

By the way, I have not run a single 10 round penetration test yet..........

Actually, I've not even blueprinted the ignition yet.............

I snapped on a fired case from another chamber and my differential, with the factory firing pin spring and spacer, was something like .024"....way too much.....

So I knew I wouldn't have any ignition.............( the factory pin tip is wide and hangs out over the edge of the rim, so there is no way the small factory spring can drive this pin tip shape, even with the spacer)

By the way, I'm glad the pin tip hangs out over the rim as this will allow me to shape it like I want............

Anyway, I removed the factory spring and spacer and installed a full length Pepper spring...........

Even with the Pepper spring I still had a differential of .016"...............which is still too much.......(with the pin protrusion of this action I want something between .008" - .012" differential)

But, even with me not blueprinting the pin tip yet, I knew with the Pepper spring I would have some degree of uniform ignition.

Another thing; I just slipped my slave RVA on, no adjustments of any kind.........it is weighted just the same as a HH/MD......

So, here are the first five rounds out of this new Dan Muller, corrugated 8, save for the two in my bucket....

Oh, one other thing............

After I fired the two rounds in my bucket, I pushed a slug through the bore and left the bore in that state.........no patches or solvent....

Tomorrow I'm going to blueprint the ignition, then hopefully, weather permitting, test more.......

Simply amazing...............

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Amazing

I know you've heard this before but that new rifle is amazing.

I realize you are promoting this new build but I for one really like seeing movies like this one. You do a great job of narrating while shooting. I know it'll never happen but I'd really like to see a movie made of you shooting a whole card or at least a portion while explaining your hold off for wind and other conditions. Naturally I'd like see what you see from your scopes point of view. I hate that all the good movies were lost when the old web site crashed.

Thanks for sharing,
Raymond Hawkins

Friend rhawk0451

I know you've heard this before but that new rifle is amazing.

I realize you are promoting this new build but I for one really like seeing movies like this one. You do a great job of narrating while shooting. I know it'll never happen but I'd really like to see a movie made of you shooting a whole card or at least a portion while explaining your hold off for wind and other conditions. Naturally I'd like see what you see from your scopes point of view. I hate that all the good movies were lost when the old web site crashed.

Thanks for sharing,
Raymond Hawkins

Friend rhawk0451

I'd much rather do "through the scope movies"........like the one below.

But, I have to use a magnifier to see the little screen on back of the camera............it's like trying to aim at an ARA target that is the size of a postage stamp..............

So the best I can do, is try to align the cross hair, looking through the magnifier, on an aiming bull and then shoot groups "return to battery".

By the way, my movies are to prove the accuracy of the guns...........so shooting groups does this...

Also, even if I could see the target perfectly, as where to aim, I wouldn't know how to shoot.........I never was much of a shooter.....and most certainly never could shoot in switching conditions...

I've posted over 200 movies through the years, and I still have them all..........

So, from time to time, I'll re-post some of the more interesting ones here on CYA.

Probably the two most unreal movies I've made, where where I fired the four rounds with a new sporter build, that went .018" C to C.

I removed the camera from the scope and walked down to the target to view it up close.........

Then, two or three days later, I brought the sporter back and fired a 5th round in that group.........and hit it..

What makes those two movies so special were several things:

For one, it was a sporter.........

Second was the .018" group of four..........

And third, and the most fascinating, was putting a fifth round in that same group a couple of days later...

Before I took that 5th shot movie, I posted that I would show the movie, no matter how it turned out.........

And folks need to keep in mind, that, I only had one chance to do it..........no out takes or seconds.......

I'll post them together one day..........

Your friend, Bill Calfee

More, More.

It would be nice to see some of those movies again. I'm glad you still have access and nothing was lost or wasted. Next time around I'll probably be a little more pro active at saving more of the things that apply to me and improving my shooting skills. I'll never build a gun but hope to be shooting for another 100 years. Accurate rifles that make little holes miraculously appear in the middle of these dime sized targets is very addictive and I want to learn all I can.

Don't forget about one movie where you are talking about mirage. You set the scope to the target but didn't touch the gun again to show how the cross hairs still moved around the bull. I have a very hard time understanding something as abstract as shooting indoors and holding off for no apparent reason. That's why I would love to see you or another very good shooter make a movie just the way you do so I could actually see what they see, the proper amount of hold off for the condition prior to the trigger break. Now wouldn't that be a million dollar movie. Heck, you can shoot too. Anyone that could do what you did here through a camera lens with a sporter would most definitely whoop most of us. But I understand your role in the scheme things so I'll take what I can when I can.

Thanks
Raymond Hawkins

Friend rhawk0451

It would be nice to see some of those movies again. I'm glad you still have access and nothing was lost or wasted. Next time around I'll probably be a little more pro active at saving more of the things that apply to me and improving my shooting skills. I'll never build a gun but hope to be shooting for another 100 years. Accurate rifles that make little holes miraculously appear in the middle of these dime sized targets is very addictive and I want to learn all I can.

Don't forget about one movie where you are talking about mirage. You set the scope to the target but didn't touch the gun again to show how the cross hairs still moved around the bull. I have a very hard time understanding something as abstract as shooting indoors and holding off for no apparent reason. That's why I would love to see you or another very good shooter make a movie just the way you do so I could actually see what they see, the proper amount of hold off for the condition prior to the trigger break. Now wouldn't that be a million dollar movie. Heck, you can shoot too. Anyone that could do what you did here through a camera lens with a sporter would most definitely whoop most of us. But I understand your role in the scheme things so I'll take what I can when I can.

Thanks
Raymond Hawkins

Friend rhawk0451

Mirage is one of the most misunderstood subjects in shooting, especially when it comes to indoor shooting, or even outdoors at times.

There are seasoned shooters who do not believe it is what it is, and they will not be convinced otherwise.

Simply put, the effect of mirage will at times displace the target image so as to cause the shooter to aim at the displaced image, instead of the actual target.

Some shooters, even some seasoned shooters, simply do not believe this actually takes place..........but it does.

So, since these folks do not accept the effect of mirage, they conjure up other reasons for what is happening when their shots are "wallering" as Rick Shouse would say.

A movie I'm dying to make:

I want to shoot my pistol with the camera on the scope....

The problem is, it takes two hands to shoot a pistol, so, when I get time, I'm going to rig up a magnifier, someway, that is affixed to the back of the camera so I can see without having to hold it as I shoot...

Here's Jeff Patterson shooting my #4 pistol, to give an idea of what's involved in shooting one.

These pistols are addictive, bad addictive.......and they will shoot with any rifle.

So, I think it would be so cool to have a "through the scope" movie of one of these pistols...

I'm out of practice as I stopped shooting competitively years ago, but, I'd love to be able to fix up my camera so I could get on a run and let folks see one of these things at work...........

The cross hair never comes to a complete stop, at times, when one is on a run across the target, the complete antithesis of shooting a rifle off of a rest.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Back
Top Bottom