Ed Shilen story 2

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Ed Shilen story 2

CYA friends:

Several years back I produced a RFBR gun for a gentleman, using a Shilen octagon barrel.

The gun tested killer, but, the gentleman simply didn't get along with it too well...........so he shipped the entire gun to Ed Shilen for him to see what the problem was.............

One day I got a call from Ed. I could tell he was excited. Then he told me he had just shot a perfect, 2500 ARA card.................with the gun that the gentleman has sent him................

Ed had not touched the gun in any way...........when he got it, he looked it over and could see nothing physically out of kilter, so, he decided to shoot it...........

He said he put up an ARA target, fouled the bore and then shot a perfect 2500, no plugged shots, nothing even close.........

He then told me that he didn't know what to tell the gentleman...........

I said, "Ed, tell him exactly what you did".................and he did.

Building these RFBR guns is fascinating............for a lot of reasons..........

Ed returned the octagon RFBR gun to the gentleman, who still simply couldn't get along with it, so the gentleman wound up selling it........

And today, that Shilen octagon barreled, RFBR gun is owned by another gentleman who is simply killing it, with it.........

You know, I have other stories about me and Ed...................I'll probably tell them from time to time..........

I loved working with Ed............he has a curious mind..........he wanted to know...............

I have no doubt that Ed wishes he had gotten into rimfire sooner in life, as he simply fell in love with it..........

Yes, Ed Shilen is a true, Gentleman's, Gentleman if there ever was one...............

Time moves on............but, I'd love to be able to go back 25 years and have known Ed then...............

But, I do have some wonderful memories of working with him on projects................I am thankful.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Back
Top Bottom