Fred "Rooster" Sears's philosophy on equipment.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Fred "Rooster" Sears's philosophy on equipment.

CYA friends:

When you want bread, you go to the baker.

So, I guess if I wanted advice on equipment, who else would be better to ask than Fred "Rooster" Sears?

When I talked to Fred after his big Livonia PSL victory, we got into his philosophy on equipment, in particular, how he determines what gun to use.

Fred told me that he has a room full of RFBR guns, his old Suhl, probably the best Hall RFBR gun ever built, several guns from other schmidts, and the three I made, Rooster plus two other Calfee guns.

Now here's the interesting part of Fred's philosophy:

Before Livonia, Fred said he shot the three guns........he rated his other two Calfee guns most accurate of the three.

With Rooster right in the mix.

So I asked him, "Then why did you shoot Rooster?"

And the answer he gave, is something I've preached ever since I've been doing this. I call it "bonding with your gun".

Fred said he thoroughly understands Rooster, and what it does, and does not like..........even though both his other Calfee guns faired slightly better in his pre-Livonia testing.

In other words, Fred has "bonded" with Rooster.

What's that old saying, "beware of the one gun man".

CYA friends, I'm going to tell you something:

I called Fred to congratulate him on his shooting, not on the choice of his gun.

The conditions at Livonia were so bad, that the absolute best shooter was going to win.

I told Fred it was not an equipment race at Livonia, and I firmly believe that.............

Then Fred said this: ( paraphrase) "No Mr. Calfee, it's that gun"...... or, he might have said, " No Mr. Calfee, it's Rooster".........??

That was a most interesting conversation which gave me a lot of insight into Fred's shooting philosophy.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom