It's art, in the purest sense of the word.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
It's art, in the purest sense of the word.

CYA friends:

I'm leading into this new thread with a post by 404tbang, from another thread.

"Howdy Bill,
This is interesting. It can be surprising how seemingly small details affect things. And noticing these small things can be a surprisingly big deal when wringing that last little bit of performance capability out of a rifle, or anything else.

Please keep posting about this.

Take care,

Greg"

Now, CYA friends:

Producing rimfire accuracy is art, in the purest sense of the word.

The word "precision" doesn't "necessarily" fit into the equation, like the following example:

The Turbo RFBR action.

The Flash Ebert, E Turbo, RFBR action started dominating rimfire accuracy class shooting, the day it was introduced.

And, it has continued to dominate today.

As the world knows, after Flash Ebert passed, someone acquired the rights to the Turbo action and continued to produce them, the V1 model.

But, the V1 simply has not had the success that the E model had, and still has.

( by the way, I've personally had great success with the V1, with no better example than Chuck "Raging Inferno" Morrell, who is leading the 2015 PSL season...........so the V1 can be made to win)

Anyway, if I had acquired the rights to the most successful RFBR accuracy action in history, and intended to continue to produce it, the absolute most important thing I could possibly do, would be to reproduce it EXACTLY.

I would not change any of the E clearances................none.

I would produce my V1 with the exact same clearances as the E, then, if I felt that changing clearances would increase accuracy, I would do a proto, test it in the field, and then if I determined, for certainty, that the new clearances helped, then, and only then, would I make changes for public consumption.

Below are the average clearances for the E Turbo, and the V1 Turbo:

1. Firing-pin hole diameter through the nose of the breech bolt: E Turbo= .107" diameter..............V1 Turbo= .100" diameter.

Both use the .0935" diameter firing pin......... 3/32nds.....

2. Tenon diameter at the rear of the breech bolt body for the locking lug collar: E Turbo= .4985" diameter........V1 Turbo= .5000" diameter.

3. Diameter of firing pin body: E Turbo= .3735" diameter............V1 Turbo= .3750" diameter.

4. Inside diameter of breech bolt body, where the firing pin rides: E Turbo= .3780" to .3800" diameter......V1 Turbo= .3770" to .3775" diameter.

CYA friends, as can be seen above, the V1 Turbo has much tighter clearances than the E Turbo.

But, those tighter clearances simply do not translate into the criteria of what makes the E Turbo so successful........

( and again, I've had some great success with the V1...........no matter what else, it still has that wonderful, momentum dependent, PAS ignition which, with thorough blueprinting, can translate into E Turbo class accuracy)

CYA friends, my dream, is for anyone who desires, to be able to purchase a momentum dependent, PAS ignitioned RFBR action, that, HAS IT ALL.

The point of this thread is this:

We produce rimfire accuracy through "art"............always have and always will.........

Super tight clearances, and force guiding the ignition system, does not produce accuracy.......

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Back
Top Bottom