IF

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
IF

CYA friends:

IF I were starting a new build today, what barrel would I use, and why?

Oh, and let's say, that my goal is to produce another National Champion with this gun.

What barrel would I use?

And why?

CYA friends, I've had tremendous success with both the Shilen Ratchet and Shilen Octagon............I mean tremendous success.

So, either one would probably be a wise choice for this potential, National Championship build.

If I started from an unlapped blank, which by the way I have both, and lapped the bore myself, which would I use, the Octagon or the Ratchet?

I'm probably going to surprise some folks, but, I would use the Octagon.

But, as of right this minute, I don't think I would use either the Shilen Ratchet or Octagon.

Oh, before I forget;

The Shilen Octagon, if properly lapped, and, of the proper groove diameter, so the land cuts in the bullet will still carry some degree of wax, is potentially, the most wind bucking rifling design in history.

But, getting the right diameter grooves in an Octagon, plus, having it lapped like I want, is a tough proposition........

Probably the most underrated RFBR barrel made, today, is the 4-C Broughton..............and, I have some unlapped specimens of it too.........

One of these days, I'm going to lap one and use it on a new triple lug build..............

As far as wind bucking, the 4-C is not quite in the league with the Shilen Ratchet, or, a properly prepped Octagon......but it isn't far off.......

Now, the Dan Muller, standard, 4-groove MI?

When it's all said and done, these may be the absolute best, RFBR class of accuracy barrels, made today........

I've also had tremendous success with these 4-MI's...............

Tony "TDX" Harper, and the number of PSL Match Championships, and, PSL Grand Championships he's won, are a testament to the abilities of the Dan Muller, 4-MI barrel............

Plus, Chuck "Raging Inferno" Morrell is leading the 2015 PSL, plus, set the all time PSL AGG record with the first, and only, 12,000 score in PSL history, with his Dan Muller 4-MI...........( 2400 plus agg)

So, it would be most difficult not to choose the Dan Muller, standard, 4-MI for my "IF" gun............

But I'm not going to choose it either...........

OK, what about the other brands of RFBR barrels?

The only barrel, besides what I'm discussing here today, that I would be most interested in looking at, would be, if my friend Dan Lilja ever decided to produce a barrel with a trick rifling pattern................

( The ability to buck the wind is so important today, cause the folks you're going to be shooting against, will be using trick rifling pattern barrels..........and the greatest RFBR shooter on Earth, ain't going to beat these trick rifled barrels with old fashioned, conventional rifling, in the wind....)

So, what barrel would I use today, IF?

Unless down the road I discover otherwise, today, IF, I were starting a new build, with the expectations of producing another National Championship Class, RFBR gun, I would start that build with the Dan Muller, corrugated, 8 groove MI.

Why?

First, the Muller quality.

Second, this trick rifling pattern will equal the wind bucking ability of any rifling pattern in existence.

And third, this rifling pattern, without question, is the friendliest to production lap, of any trick rifling pattern ever designed....

Which means that a greater percent of them will be killers........

IF.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Back
Top Bottom