Flavio Fare' Triggers

Tony K Harper

1Flavio Fare Trigger adj.jpg

Flavio Fare’ Triggers

Triggers are a subject you don’t often see discussed on the forums. Why? Well there really isn’t much to say, or is there?

Going back to the days of the 2 oz. trigger that was in the Remington 40XB BR rifles, we bench rest shooters have been pretty happy with our triggers.

Maybe a little too happy.

The Jewell 1.5 oz. BR trigger became the bench rest standard, and has remain so for more than two decades.

Shooters coming from hunting rifles are always impressed with Jewell BR triggers.

There have been other triggers around, but Jewell has pretty much dominated bench rest.

Just what do we need from a trigger? After all, the only thing a trigger does is release the firing pin/spring to start the ignition process.

Well, as it turns out there is a little more to it than that.

It has been stated, loud, and long that triggers, and trigger control, is more important to shoulder fired rifles (position rifles) than to bench rest rifles.

Many even say lock time to a bench rifle isn’t at all important. These statements have some truth. But they aren’t the whole truth.

This lack of concern over our triggers has led us down a path of no improvement in our triggers for 20 + years.

It has been a mistake to minimize the importance of the trigger/trigger control in bench rest shooting.

A couple of years ago Bix’ N Andy triggers became available. Made in Austria, a totally new design.

Very high tech, and well-engineered. Many thought the price, more than twice that of a Jewell, would limit their success.

But that has not been the case.

I’m pretty sensitive to triggers, when I first tried a Bix’ N Andy I was impressed. There was no doubt these were a step up from Jewells.

I, along with many others replaced my Jewells triggers.

Then, just two years later, I learned there is yet another new trigger available for actions designed for the Remington pattern.

This newest trigger is the Flavio Fare’ (FF) from Italy. This trigger is yet another new design, even more high tech, and unlike anything I’ve seen before.

It has five miniature ball bearings. The design is incredible, and the engineering, excellent.

These triggers are handmade, very low production, and very high quality. These are the Ferrari of triggers.

Both of these new triggers has come as a complete surprise. Who would have thought, two completely different triggers designs would become available, within two years of each other, to challenge the trigger that had been the bench rest standard for more than two decades?

If you have shot a high quality air rifle, you know they have the best triggers on the planet.

You have to experience one to understand what I’m talking about. You can break the shot at the exact instant you want the shot.

You can do it shot after shot, day in, and day out. Always the same feel, and always the same let off, always the same release.

This control, and consistency is extremely important for all shooters not just shoulder shooters.

There are two primary methods of shooting bench rest. One is to hold the rifle and have contact, the other is free recoil, where one has very little contact.

I happen to shoot holding the rifle. I very carefully, and deliberately release each shot.

I have developed a habit of testing (teasing the trigger) with increasing pressure until the rifle fires. It is kind of like milking the trigger.

People have watched me do this and asked why. The reason is I never really knew where/when the rifle was going to fire.

So I developed this testing method by using very light pressure, just touching the trigger blade and releasing, then touching the blade again increasing the pressure, little by little until the rife fired. BTW: I’m not the only one that does this. You others know who you are.

I believe, even the heaviest rifles, held in the tightest rest, are affected by the way the trigger is attacked, and how it breaks/releases.

The slightest variance will affect shot placement. These new triggers provide controlled, consistency like we have never had before.

Which of the new triggers is best? The Flavio Fare’ (FF), or the Bix’ N Andy?

I’ve shot both, and to me, there is no doubt, the Flavio Fare’ is the best.

As a matter of fact, I believe the Flavio Fare’ trigger is as much better than a Bix’ N Andy, as the Bix’ N Andy is to the Jewell.

Dan Killough has also tested the Flavio Fare’ triggers with excellent results.

Dan will be stocking Flavio Fare’ triggers at Killough Shooting Sports (KSS). Check with him on availability.

I’m told the price will be comparable to the Bix’ N Andy.

You owe it to yourself to try one. It just may improve your scores. One thing for sure, it will improve your shooting experience.

TKH

Last edited:
Tony,

The Flavio Fare' trigger I saw out of the box wouldn't work with teasing. Touch it and it goes. I would say much less than an ounce. Of course, it can be adjusted heavier.

Wally,

You are right. You can set a Flavio Fare' trigger down to about 8/10 oz. safely.

You can go below that but you are asking for trouble if you do.

At 8/10s oz. you don't need to tease the trigger, you know it's going to go as soon as you ask it to.

TKH

Back
Top Bottom