I'm a nervous wreck......

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
I'm a nervous wreck......

CYA friends:

I've spent this day making absolutely sure I know exactly where I'm going with this 40-X RFBR pistol...

The more time one gets into a project like this, the more nervous one gets, cause I don't want to waste all of my hard work by goofing up now.

I took a grade five 1/4 x 28 bolt and annealed it.....

A grade five is more likely to contain less alloys that a grade 8, so is easier to anneal.......for someone like me.

I want the filler bolt for the old front bedding screw hole in this 40-X action, to be as close as I can get it to the hardness of the action, since my new front bedding screw hole will center between the action and my filler bolt......

And, I cut the filler bolt off so the body of the bolt, the un-threaded shank, is jammed into the opening of the original hole, making it tight..

Plus, I mixed up some epoxy and glued it in........the epoxy is drying as I type this...

I have hack sawed the bolt off close to the action.................

And I spent at least an hour getting it set up in my mill, so I can drill the new bedding screw holes...

Talk about measuring twice, and cutting once......no, I must have measured 50 times......

So I've got the 40-X set up in my mill like I want it.....

I'll wait till tomorrow, till the epoxy sets, before I proceed....

By the way, I've got the epoxy that was left over.......I keep it until it until I'm sure it has hardened properly...

If for some reason it doesn't, I'll do it again....

Here's what I've found out about the distance between the two new bedding screw holes, so they will match perfectly the distance of the XP, so I can use pistol stocks for the XP, or the factory stock.

I'm going to place my two holes 3.446" between centers....

I suspect the factory drawings for the XP calls for 3.450" between the two bedding screw holes......

Once I get these two holes drilled, then I can cut the front receiver ring of the action off, and bring the face of this 40-X back to the distance between the front bedding screw, and the face of the action, which is critical for use in these various pistol stocks...

Man I'm a nervous wreck, but a very cited nervous wreck......

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Back
Top Bottom