Ready for stock and barrel....

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Ready for stock and barrel....

CYA friends:

I had to do two things with this recoil lug....

To bore it to fit my 40-X, and, to make it perfectly the same thickness....

I got lucky with both operations...

I of course bored the lug from the side that faces the action, so the other side was held by a 4 jaw chuck...

I bored it to the depth and diameter I wanted, then took a slight cut on the face of the opening, to square it with my new bore..

But I had to make the back side perfectly parallel to the front side, some way....

So while it was still in the lathe, I installed the boring bar with the tip I use to cut the locking lug seats in my XP's, which has a flat face with a draft to both sides, like a parting tool....

I carefully put the bar through the hole in my recoil lug, then came back and "felt" the draft on the inward side of the cutter just kiss the opposide side of the lug...

I then drew the compound in .001", rotated the chuck by hand and drug the bit across the back side of my recoil lug, slowly, because I had to watch, feel, for the tip to contact the inner jaws of the chuck........

I could tell my first cut was not continuous.....

So I added another thousandth with the compound and drug it again......and this time the cut was continuous.......

When I removed the recoil lug and measured its thickness, it's exactly .373" all the way around.....absolutely perfect.....blind lucky.

CYA friends, man this has been fun........some headaches yes, but fun.....

Stock and barrel?

Man I want a factory modified stock......but man they are so much hassle....I don't know if I have the gumption.....

Barrel?...........Temporarily I think I'm going to use my old salve Border cut rifled....

I'll have to shorten it in the breech end about .450"......then re-chamber it....

I can use the same threads, even though the new threads are about .010" oversized.....it will work fine.....(rimfire only here, though)

I'm headed to the shop......I can't wait to shoot this thing.....even with the old cut rifled slave....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Boring the recoil lug turned out absolutely perfect.....thank you LORD.

DSC09372%20-%20Copy.jpg

I'm now ready for the stock and barrel......man I'm cited...

DSC09378%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom