Refining my 40-X pistol now.....

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Refining my 40-X pistol now.....

CYA friends:

This 40-X pistol is coming along so kool.......better than I actually expected it would.

Anyway, I'm refining now......

Some 40-X's have too much land between the top of the cocking ramp and the resting notch, in the breech bolt.

When the land is too wide, as you lift the bolt handle you're of course using effort, then you get the cocking piece teat to the top of the ramp, with you still applying upward pressure on the bolt handle, then as the cocking teat hits the land, momentum causes the top of the bolt handle to slap against the top of the rear receiver ring....

Folks who have 40-X's like this simply get used to it.......

But as the top of the bolt handle slaps the rear receiver ring of the action, the whole gun is jarred.....

So what I did today, was to change the cocking ramp angle slightly, while blending it over so as to shorten the land between the top of the ramp and the resting notch....

Now when I open the breech bolt, that slap is reduced to almost nothing.........

This is a minor issue that most folks simply get used to......

The bolt on my 40-X pistol opens so quietly now as compared to before.......so smooth...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

This seems like such a small difference, but it makes a tremendous difference in how quietly the bolt opens, without jarring the action to pieces every time the bolt is opened.

DSC09451.jpg

The next thing I'm going to refine is to reduce the firing pin travel.....

Right now I have about .260".........

This has the trigger mistimed.........which causes the bolt to close hard.

Since there's no trigger hanger on a 40-X, I'll have to shorten the transfer bar of the trigger, to reduce the firing pin travel...

Timing on this particular 40-X action to be zero, would take shortening the firing pin travel by about .050"....

But from years of experience, if I shorten the transfer bar about half that distance, say .025-030", the hard bolt closing will cease..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom