The first thing that's went wrong with my 40-X pistol

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
The first thing that's went wrong with my 40-X pistol

CYA friends:

I'm shot, wore out..........

Matter of fact I'm too wore out to do anything but post a picture....

I'll finish tomorrow.....

Everything has went so killer with this 40-X pistol....so far..

But I'm kinda scared of how things turned out today...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I completed the finish machining on my bushing today....

And everything went killer, till I installed the cross pin........

Tomorrow.........................

Gosh dang it.............

DSC09489.jpg

Last edited:
Did pinning the bushing change the bore?

Mr. Calfee,
Have you ever tried loctite retaining compound #609? It is made for an almost never to be removed press/slip fit interface between parts and works very well. I have used it many times for close fit to very light press fit applications and have been very pleased with the results. In press fit applications it helps almost like a lubricant in getting the part set in location on the receiving part. Let sit a few hours and you will think the parts have been pinned together. If and when you feel like the parts need to separate then a little heat (my estimate around 300°F) and they will come right apart just as easily as they went together. I always keep a bottle of it in my toolbox. Only downside is I haven't found a store that keeps it in stock locally for me. I may be wrong but I think it would work great in an application such as this with the barrel and adding a bushing.

Tad

Friend Tad E

Did pinning the bushing change the bore?

Mr. Calfee,
Have you ever tried loctite retaining compound #609? It is made for an almost never to be removed press/slip fit interface between parts and works very well. I have used it many times for close fit to very light press fit applications and have been very pleased with the results. In press fit applications it helps almost like a lubricant in getting the part set in location on the receiving part. Let sit a few hours and you will think the parts have been pinned together. If and when you feel like the parts need to separate then a little heat (my estimate around 300°F) and they will come right apart just as easily as they went together. I always keep a bottle of it in my toolbox. Only downside is I haven't found a store that keeps it in stock locally for me. I may be wrong but I think it would work great in an application such as this with the barrel and adding a bushing.

Tad

Friend Tad E:

First, thank you for the info on the Loctite retaining compound.

And yes, you're exactly right.......the pinning did cause an issue with the bore.....although how bad I'm not sure...

I've got an interference fit of about .0007", the best I can tell......

So I've got excellent metal to metal fit, without disturbing the bore in any manner........can not detect any difference when slugged.

And of course I did the machining without the cross pin, then cleaned the bore and shot it in my bucket a couple times, checking how the cases looked after setting the HS..

Everything absolutely perfect up to this point.

But there has to be a safety cross pin, even if I glued the bushing on.......

I used a roll pin.....since the pin collapses when driven in, which holds good, but does not exert the kind of pressure to the walls of the hole like a solid pin would do with the same amount of holding ability.....

But, my hole for this roll pin is probably a couple thousandths too small.....

And I knew when I was driving the pin in that it was probably too tight...

After driving it in I cleaned the bore and slugged it....

And yes, if I use my imagination I can detect ever so slight resistance where the pin is located....

A second slug pushed through felt almost nothing...

And a third slug pushed through, no dry patches between slugs, and I could not tell any restriction....

Wax will fool us when slugging, this is why when I evaluate a bore I push a dry patch after every slug...

Here's where I'm at:

The pistol is all put together ready for me to shoot it........raining right now, plus, the traffic jam that I have to get through cause they're replacing the bridge between me and the range........

If it was dry I'd fight the traffic.......but the range is so sloppy with water right now and I don't want to put up a target......( ain't that the height of laziness)

So I'm going to shoot it, as is......just to see.....

If there's any doubt at all, I'll remove the roll pin and make up a solid pin that won't fit so aggressive.......this pin is for safety only.

When I drive the roll pin out the restriction will leave the bore..........

Just like when we over tighten a barrel, causing a spot in the bore, which returns to normal when the barrel is loosened...that is within reason, of course.

I'm most likely to get rambunctious after a while and head to the range, water or not...

Thanks again for the Loctite info...

Your friend, BC

DSC09489.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom