Why the Falcon is the most consistent form of SAP ignition.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Why the Falcon is the most consistent form of SAP ignition.

CYA friends:

CYA is about advancing rimfire accuracy.

The weather is so beautiful, that I'm headed to the range to play with my new 40-X pistol, SAP ignitioned 40-X pistol.

But first:

I've probably spent more time fooling with Falcon SAP ignition than any other human being on earth, save for Leonard Baity and Johnathan.

I went to the shop and laid out some of the Falcon ignition components I've spearmented with.

Cocking pieces, bolt shrouds, various firing pin weights to add momentum, bolt shrouds to accommodate them, various jigs and fixtures, the large fixture in the upper middle of this picture is to hold cocking pieces so as to grind the engagement angle on them, and various springs, which I forgot to lay out....

DSC09623%20-%20Copy.jpg

Anyway, oh, I even drilled the back of one of the enclosed style bolt shrouds so I could very accurately run my 10 round case head penetration tests..

So I feel I probably know Falcon SAP ignition as well as anyone.

And there's no question that when properly blueprinted, it's the most uniform of any SAP ignition system.

Here's a special picture:

This is the set screw that locates the threaded bolt shroud to the breech bolt body.

Notice I said "locates", or stabilizes, the bolt shroud to the breech bolt body.

This screw is not designed to "bind' the bolt shroud to the breech bolt body......that could be a disaster.

DSC09625.jpg

I'm headed to the range.....

More later,

your friend, Bill Calfee

Gauging progress.

Gauging progress.

CYA friends:

I've not been a practicing RFBR schmidt for several years now.

But, if I were still building RFBR guns, and if the Falcon action was still being produced, would I use them?

No.

Even though a well blueprinted Falcon will produce the most consistent ignition of any SAP ignition system, it still isn't on the same level as a well blueprinted MD-PAS ignition system.

So why this interest in General Lee with its Falcon SAP ignition action?

Gauging progress.

Your friend, BC

DSC05062.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom