I'd like to do something kinda silly....

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
I'd like to do something kinda silly....

CYA friends:

You know, we hear all the time folks claiming that RFBR is all about nothing but barrels and bullets....

I'm sorry, but nothing could be further from the truth.

( The day Tony "TDX" Harper calls me and tells me it's all about nothing but barrels and bullets, I'll probably give it some serious thought.)

The greatest example of how ridiculous the notion of barrels and bullets being all that's important in producing killer rimfire accuracy has to be my old slave Lilja.

I've had this old slave Lilja on 40 to 50 builds over the years doing the initial testing.

But when I fit it to my triple proto back on March 26, 2014, that triple proto caused this old slave Lilja to light up like it had never done before.

And then when I shot it a few days ago on this new V-3, it shot exactly the same killer way.....by the way that was with .180" pin travel and in my old #1 slave stock...

So it's an absolute ridiculous notion that killer rimfire accuracy is only determined by barrels and bullets.

OK, I've been playing........

I took that fine Jim Peightal stock that my 10-X based triple slave is bedded in, this is the spearment I sent to the barn where Robert Oates kicked out that mind blowing 17X PSL card in about 6 minutes, only firing 29 rounds on the target.

And I fit this new DiOrio V-3 into it....

This 10-X action has a cut-out for a safety on the right of the tang, which I bedded into the bedding....

I had to remove this little spot of bedding for this new V-3 to fit.

Also, the 10-X is slightly longer, both at the action face and in the tang.

The extra bedding at the action face doesn't matter, but this leaves a gap at the tang for this new V-3.

Anyway, the two bedding screws turn in by hand, then they go completely solid when a wrench is applied.....no mushy feel at all...rock solid.

So except for the gap at the tang I'm very comfortable with the way this V-3 beds in this fine Peightal.

It's way too windy to test today.....

But, when I test it, and if it acts like I think it will, I'd love to do something silly:

I'd love to send this thing to the upcoming ARA/PSL, and see what someone could do with that old slave Lilja.

I'm telling you, I believe it will run with the heavy hitters with the right person pulling the trigger, and some reasonable ammo....

No CYA friends, it's a ridiculous notion that killer rimfire accuracy is produced only by barrels and bullets.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I've got this new V-3 fit to my fine Jim Peightal straight line.......bedding is perfect......

DSC09700.jpg

I must have a recoil surface......which I don't have now, and I'm not going to mess the bedding up for my slave triple action.

DSC09698.jpg

I'm going to test this V-3/slave Lilja maybe tomorrow....

If it does as I expect, I'm going to make up an aluminum spacer to fit between the tang and the end of the bedding, to fill the gap.

DSC09701.jpg

Last edited:
I've made a correction...

I've made a correction...

CYA friends:

I've made an edit in my thread starter post. ( I put it in bold red)

I had listed the pin travel when I first tested this new V-3 as .280".............of course that should have been .180" travel, which is what I believe these new V-3's will come with, that capability for all three triggers, Jewel, FF and B&A.

Here's the corrected sentence.

And then when I shot it a few days ago on this new V-3, it shot exactly the same killer way.....by the way that was with .180" pin travel and in my old #1 slave stock...

Weather is supposed to be in the 60's today and tomorrow, so if the wind lays I'll get a chance to shoot this V-3/slave Lilja in my Peightal stock.

If this thing shoots like it did the other day in my old #1 slave stock, man I'd love to get it to the PSL/ARA Indoor.

I know it's way too much to ask for someone to actually shoot it in the matches.......

Robert Oates has Paladin now, and Fred Sears has General Lee, so them shooting it is out.

So we'll see.............

There's one thing for sure, and this old slave Lilja proves the point perfectly:

It's what action that killer barrels shot with killer bullets are fit to, that produce Big National event winning accuracy.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

You know, about this ridiculous notion about barrels and bullets being all that produces killer rimfire accuracy........

If that were actually the case, then it means that for the past 20 years the Turbo shooters have gotten all the best barrels and bullets, and the Hall shooters have gotten none of either.

Last edited:
The absolute most ridiculous notion..

The absolute most ridiculous notion..

CYA friends:

How ridiculous the notion is, that only barrels and bullets are responsible for killer rimfire accuracy!

I quote from my above post:

"You know, about this ridiculous notion about barrels and bullets being all that produces killer rimfire accuracy........

If that were actually the case, then it means that for the past 20 years the Turbo shooters have gotten all the best barrels and bullets, and the Hall shooters have gotten none of either."

The action is the conductor of the rimfire accuracy orchestra

The action is the conductor of the rimfire accuracy orchestra

CYA friends:

The action is the conductor of the rimfire accuracy orchestra.

All the orchestra players, the barrel, trigger, stock, scope, MD and ammo have their roles in producing ultimate rimfire accuracy.

But, the action has to make sure the orchestra plays in harmony.

When I have fit the same barrel to 40 or 50 different actions, and out of all those actions there have been two actions that caused that barrel to excel above the others, there's something unique about those two actions.

The first action that caused this barrel to excel above the others was my MD-PAS, triple lug proto that I tested on March 26, 2014.

Here's a picture of the the second action, the new DiOrio V-3, with that old slave Lilja attached.

Your friend, BC

DSC09701.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom