Are you creative schmidts ready for this?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Are you creative schmidts ready for this?

I heard some news today that made me think of the creative RFBR schmidts we have today, folks like Mike "Mule Skinnah" Bowland, the Ole Hawk, TKH, John Langley, Tom Wilkinson, Jeff Patterson and others, and what they'd think of the news I heard today.

It's important to keep something in mind here:

For the past 20 years the MD-PAS Turbo, and its clones, have dominated the Big National events with firing pin travel anywhere from .155" to a max of about .175", or so.

As you know I've already been spearmentin' with this V-3, and moved the pin travel up to .205" by altering the trigger hanger.

Today I worked with it again and using a Jewel trigger, moved the pin travel to .216".

In other words, with this Jewel trigger, .216" is the maximum pin travel that can be produced without machining on the receiver.

Now get this please:

At .216" pin travel the breech bolt closes like waxed velvet.....that's mind blowing...

On all previous TCA's, even if one could get .216" of pin travel, you wouldn't get the bolt closed without standing on the bolt handle.

Now, what did this do for me at .216" pin travel?

I went from the Wilkinson spring, that came with this V-3, which is in the 22-23 pounds rate range, down to the late Turbo spring, which is between 19 and 20 pounds rate, and I'm still driving this .050" wide footprint to depth, while standing away from my mechanical stop .009".

I took my readings today with once fired cases.

Plus, as a bonus, I reduced the pressure required to lift the bolt handle......these are short bolt lift actions, which have cocking ramps with a steeper angle, which requires more pressure to lift the bolt....that's just the nature of the beast.

Again please keep in mind, this is driving a .050" wide footprint.

OK, for you creative schmidts, and creative folks doing their own work, are you sitting down?

I was telling Tom Wilkinson what I did today.

And here's what he told me: ( I hope you're sitting down)

It looks like Anthony DiOrio is going to furnish these new V-3's with a trigger hanger that will give a minimum average of .175" of pin travel for all three triggers, Jewell, B&A and FF.

Now get this:

These hangers will give an additional .050" of pin travel adjustment!

In other words, it looks like we'll now have MD-PAS ignition with pin travel adjustment from .175" all the way to .225".

TCA's have dominated the Big National events for the past 20 years with less than .175" pin travel.

For you creative schmidts and creative folks doing your own work, just imagine the potential here.

It's mind boggling.

You know, when it's all said and done these new V-3's might not shoot in a bucket......

But on the other hand, they may change the world of rimfire accuracy as we now understand it.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

Here's the picture I sent to Tom Wilkinson today...

You can see I had to cut through the front attachment hole to get the hanger rearward to produce the maximum possible travel of .216"...

This jives with what Anthony is doing since he's going to .225" max pin travel.....he may be using a B&A trigger, which could be the difference....

And by the way, this is without machining on the receiver any.

The hanger Anthony will furnish won't have the front attachment hole cut through, of course.

I've got to emphasize something again, even at .216" pin travel the breech bolt closes like waxed velvet....

CYA friends, this is fascinating stuff, or, it could turn out to be nothing..

DSC09707.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom