Exploring the limits of this new DiOrio MD-PAS triple.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Exploring the limits of this new DiOrio MD-PAS triple.

CYA friends:

I've been bonding with this new DiOrio V-3 today.

I've been exploring this new V-3's limits.....

Mind blowing limitation one:

How does this new V-3 produce a firing pin footprint this deep, that is .050" wide, with a 19 pound, standard, Turbo spring?

The Jim Pepper spring, that has produced killer winning TCA accuracy at a bunch of Big National events, is 24 pounds plus rate.

And this new DiOrio triple is doing it with 19 pounds spring rate.......this blows my mind...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

DSC09718%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:
The possibilities are endless

The possibilities are endless

CYA friends:

Am I sold on this .050" wide footprint?

I'll answer this way:

So far is hasn't hurt anything.

This V-3, with this big footprint, is causing this old slave Lilja to react exactly like it did back on March 26, 2014 when I tested it on my proto 10-X based triple.

About this old slave Lilja:

It's from the late 90's or very early 2000's...........

Lilja's ruled back then, even though they were not taper lapped by Lilja.

I fit this 6 groove Lilja to a Turbo build, for whom I do not remember.

I do remember is wasn't competitive, so I ate it.

(I've had a standing agreement with every barrel maker I've ever dealt with: If I cut on a new blank, it's mine, no matter how it shoots.)

It then laid on the shelf until I stated working with Leonard Baity, and Johnathan, on their new Falcon action.

Since the Falcon had a 1.250" barrel tenon length, I needed a slave barrel so I could screw it in for all of my ignition development, on my builds.

So I moved the shoulder of this old Lilja out to about 1.260", which gave me some wiggle room, and then I made up a bunch of precision spacers so I could fit it to various Falcon builds.

Even though this old Lilja wasn't competitive, it shot good enough that I used it for my first range test on my builds.

I could easily determine if my action blueprinting was successful, or not.

At some point I decided to taper lap it.....knowing better.

I did, which wound up tapering the bore alright, but left it way oversized....

Plus, the breech end of the barrel, right in front of the chamber, is somewhat restricted, which I knew would happen.

Short story is, it didn't shoot a bit better.

So over the years I've had this old slave Lilja on 40-50 builds, at least.

And I got to know exactly what its accuracy capability was, which is the reason I could do my initial tests with it successful.

Even though it was not "hot", not even close to being hot.

And then March 26, 2014 happened.

When I tested my proto triple with it, I got a shock at how that triple caused this old Lilja to light up.

It had never shot like that before.

Was it killer accurate, no.

But it was far better on that triple proto than it had ever been on any action I had ever tested it on...

And by the way, there's no telling how many Big National events have been won by actions that were first tested with this old Lilja.

So that test on March 26, of 2014, is what convinced me that the future of rimfire accuracy advancement lay with a properly executed, MD-PAS triple.

And now four years later, I've tested it on this new Diorio V-3, and it acts exactly like it did back in 2014 on my proto triple.

So at this point this big .050" wide footprint is working.

Will it ultimately prove better?

That question is still unanswered.

But my gosh, think of the endless possibilities for creative schmidts, and creative individuals who do their own builds.

Can you imagine how light the spring rate can be when a traditional sized pin tip is tried?

And the resultant ease of cocking, as a bonus.

This big footprint is being driven with less than 20 pounds of spring rate, which is simply amazing.

Your friend, BC

DSC09718%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Been waxing my new car.......

Been waxing my new car.......

CYA friends;

I've been waxing on my new V-3 and pondering things.

Anthony DiOrio's goal, is to make everything about his new V-3 as up-to-date, latest technology equipped, as humanly possible.

And at some point he will have to say to himself:

"I've done everything to this new V-3 that the known world of rimfire accuracy has possible knowledge of, therefore, it's time to share it with the public."

And when Anthony DiOrio arrives at that point, and turns his new V-3 out to the public, it won't be very long until someone will think of something else that needs to be added, or changed, or modified in some way.

And that's what advancing rimfire accuracy is all about........moving forward, always moving forward.

CYA friends, even with the very limited amount of time I've now spent with this new V-3, it's obvious that this is the most flexible, most adjustable and ready for any kind of spearmentin' that a creative schmidt or a creative individual doing their own work, has ever had available in a RFBR action.

And one could have taken this action as I received it, screwed a barrel into it, and shot it, as is, if they wished.

Although, I simply can not imagine any serious competitor, with expectations of producing Big National event winning accuracy, doing that, with this action or any other.

The cogs are turning.......

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

You know, after I took this picture I got to studying it.

MD-PAS ignition has dominated the Big National events for the past 20 years because of its amazing consistency.

The main reason for this amazing consistency is the simplicity of its design.

In this picture there are three pieces.....

One of them, the bolt handle/locking lugs, has nothing to do with the ignition.

Which leaves just two pieces that form the basis of MD-PAS ignition.

DSC09726%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom