Bond trigger, additional....

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Bond trigger, additional....

CYA friends:

Something I forgot to mention about Ralph Bond's XP three lever conversion:

The factory XP trigger has no provision to adjust the trigger spring tension.

The trigger sear in the trigger body itself is an "L" shaped affair.

There's a pivot pin at the corner of the "L".

The long leg of the "L" is the sear engagement surface that mates with the Bond third lever, or, the transfer bar of the factory trigger.

The short leg of the "L" has a pin inserted it it, that runs parallel to the long leg of the "L".

The transfer bar return spring in the factory XP trigger serves two functions:

It has a slot in the transfer bar for one end of the spring, and the other end goes over the pin in the short leg of the "L".

This spring returns the transfer bar, plus, it returns the trigger.

So there is no trigger tension adjustment in the factory XP trigger, except by clipping coils off this dual function spring.

But you can get in trouble doing this, because if you make the spring too short, it won't return the transfer bar.

The factory XP trigger does have an over travel adjustment located in the front of the housing.

More about my thoughts on trigger over travel for pistol shooting at the end.

Here's the clever alteration Ralph did.

Since in his conversion he uses the factory transfer bar spring to return his third lever, and transfer bar at the same time, he had to have provision to return the trigger shoe itself.

So Ralph installed a mild coil spring on the over travel adjustment screw, which returns the trigger.

And what this does, is to allow the trigger spring tension to be adjusted, in his conversion.

The spring is light enough that you can still set the over travel, without changing the tension of the trigger return spring drastically.

My personal thoughts about trigger over travel for pistol shooting:

I back the over travel screw completely out.......

When I pull the trigger on these pistols, after the sear breaks I want the trigger shoe to be totally free....

I do not want the sear to break, then the trigger hit the over-travel, with me still applying pressure, which no human being can possible avoid doing.

If I shot position shooting, I probably would have a close over travel setting.

I do not want "creep" in my trigger, but after that sear breaks I want the trigger shoe completely free...

Yes, as I follow through after the sear breaks, the trigger shoe eventually hits the back of the trigger guard or the "long over travel setting" screw, but, the round is long gone by this time.

Something else:

Is the Bond conversion as light of pull as a FF or B&A, no not quite.

But it is probably as consistent of pull as either, or very close.

In other words, if a player can't win a Big National event with one of these pistols, with the Bond trigger, that player couldn't win if the pistol contained a FF or B&A, or Jewell.

CYA friends, I'm so cited about the possibility of getting these pistols for the masses that you can't believe it.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

DSC09798%20-%20Copy%202_1.jpg

One other thing about these triggers.

If all of you folks reading this could sit behind my new 40-X pistol and kick out a card, I doubt seriously that any of you would complain about the trigger not being light enough.

Even though the trigger in my 40-X pistol is copied after the Bond, I converted it myself.....it is not even a Bond trigger, yet I don't believe a single soul would complain if they kicked out a card with it so I know they wouldn't complain about a true Bond.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom