Martin Luther King Jr day

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Martin Luther King Jr day

CYA friends:

One of my closes friends, and hunting buddy for many years, was a gentleman named Lawrence Parson.

I spent many days with Lawrence hunting here in Southern Indiana back in the 70's.

During those years Lawrence and I discussed many subjects while out hunting, race relations being one of them from time to time.

CYA friends, I have no answers when it comes to the races getting along with each other.

I do know this, I'm old enough that when I went to college in North Carolina back in 1962, I got to personally see gas stations with bathrooms and drinking fountains marked White, or Colored.

I knew about all this, but seeing it in person put a different perspective on things.

I have no answers, and are race relations better today.......absolutely!

So, I honor Martin Luther King Jr day out of respect for my friend Lawrence, and, for the major improvement in race relations, here in America, that Dr. King championed with his life.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Here are some memories of the times I got to spend with Lawrence.

This from spring of 1973

Lawrence3.jpg

These are from early October of 73'

Lawrence1.jpg

Lawrence2.jpg

Here's a doodle of Lawrence I still have in my home today.

lawrence.jpg

CYA friends, I could write a book about the experiences that a black man and a white man had together involving guns and hunting.

Last edited:
Lawrence loved barbecued groundhog

Lawrence loved barbecued groundhog

CYA friends:

It's cold wintertime....

Man I want to work on my MD-PAS triple pistol so bad.......

But, it's just too cold to try to heat the shop right now.

So I thought I'd do some reminiscing......

My buddy Lawrence was a most interesting individual.

When we hunted groundhog together, he did it for the meat.

Yes, he loved the thrill of the hunt and shooting as much as I did.

But he loved eating groundhog, especially barbecued........and he had a secret barbecue recipe that was double killer.

He barbecued slowly, adding a combination of white wine, vinegar and butter, until the hog was pretty much done.

And he doused this mixture on liberally.

Then when the hog was pretty much done, he added his secret red barbecue sauce.....

Then he let the hog simmer for a few more minutes with his secret red sauce on it.

So, how did his barbecued groundhog eat?

I personally couldn't tell you.........they looked and smelled awesome, but I couldn't get up the nerve to try some.

Lawrence knew I wouldn't try it, so he always had some chicken or a few pork ribs that he Q'ed just for me.

And it was without question the best barbecue I've ever eaten.

Your reminiscing friend, Bill Calfee

In this picture Lawrence is holding a new 700 Remington in 22-250 he had just purchased.

Lawrence normally shot a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in 243 cal.

At that time I was working with a heavy barreled 98 Mauser in 220 Swift.

DSC09889%20-%20Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom