Friend Big Dog

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Friend Big Dog

Big Dog, would you do me a favor?

The other day were were discussing the number of 6 card, ARA, Indoor 2400 Aggs that were produced this last ARA Indoor season.

When you have time, would you post your findings.....OK.

CYA friends, 6 card, 2400 ARA Indoor aggs are the watershed measurement of the progression of rimfire accuracy advancement...

Thank you Big Dog, in advance.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

CYA friends:

I'm particularly interested in the actions used for these 6 card, Indoor, 2400 ARA aggs this past season..

The number of MD-PAS actions compared to the number of SAP actions

Attachments

• Big Dog and Black Death - Copy.jpg
    Big Dog and Black Death - Copy.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:
6 Card 2400 aggs during 2020 Indoor Season

Bill, below are the 6 card 2400 aggs shot during the 2020 Indoor ARA Season. I researched this information from the ARA website. It was an unbelievable season for accuracy during this indoor season. Congrats to all that were able to accomplish this feat.

10/12/2019
Mike Lowe 2416.67 (1-2500) new Turbo action?
James Garrett 2433.33 (2-2500) 10X action?

12/21/2019
Bob Cleveland 2400.00 (1-2500) Suhl action?

1/18/2020
Tom Wilkinson 2408.33 (1-2500) new Turbo action?
Chuck Morrell 2400.00 (1-2400) new Turbo action?

1/26/2020
Tom Wilkinson 2416.67 (2-2500) new Turbo action?

2/15/2020
Mike Lowe 2408.33 (0-2500) new Turbo action?

Tom Wilkinson also had 5 card aggs of 2440.00 and 2420.00
Bob Cleveland also had a 5 card agg of 2400.00

I'm not 100% sure on the actions used, correct me if there is an error. Also, let me know if I missed any 5 or 6 card 2400 aggs. Good shooting by all.

Mike Sherrill

Friend Big Dog, thank you

Bill, below are the 6 card 2400 aggs shot during the 2020 Indoor ARA Season. I researched this information from the ARA website. It was an unbelievable season for accuracy during this indoor season. Congrats to all that were able to accomplish this feat.

10/12/2019
Mike Lowe 2416.67 (1-2500) new Turbo action?
James Garrett 2433.33 (2-2500) 10X action?

12/21/2019
Bob Cleveland 2400.00 (1-2500) Suhl action?

1/18/2020
Tom Wilkinson 2408.33 (1-2500) new Turbo action?
Chuck Morrell 2400.00 (1-2400) new Turbo action?

1/26/2020
Tom Wilkinson 2416.67 (2-2500) new Turbo action?

2/15/2020
Mike Lowe 2408.33 (0-2500) new Turbo action?

Tom Wilkinson also had 5 card aggs of 2440.00 and 2420.00
Bob Cleveland also had a 5 card agg of 2400.00

I'm not 100% sure on the actions used, correct me if there is an error. Also, let me know if I missed any 5 or 6 card 2400 aggs. Good shooting by all.

Mike Sherrill

Friend Big Dog, thank you...

Michael, you left the "biggie" out........yours.......ARA Indoor Nationals Record 2416.67.....and 2 2500's.

I apologize, as I should have written these down when we talked the other day.....then you wouldn't have had to do this...

It looks like there were eight (8) ARA Indoor, 6 card 2400 aggs kicked out this past indoor season...

If, the actions you listed are correct?

MD-PAS ignition kicked out seven of the 6 card, 2400 aggs....

SAP ignition kicked out just one.....and it was a Suhl.......

If this is correct, there was not a single, 6 card, 2400 ARA Indoor agg kicked out by any "custom" SAP action this season.

Big Dog, I'll have some final comments to make after we confirm the actions used.

Thank you again....

Your friend, BC

PS:

Big Dog, here's the results from the ARA Indoor Nats......

It looks like your action listings are possibly correct....

I blocked out everything but the 2400 agg shooters...

DSC00865.JPG

Last edited:
6 card, 2400 ARA Indoor aggs

6 card, 2400 ARA Indoor aggs

CYA gun fool friends:

6 card, 2400 ARA Indoor aggs are the absolute best yardstick by which to evaluate the current state of RFBR equipment, because indoor shooting places such an emphasis on the equipment itself.

Does the shooter play a role in indoor shooting, oh yes....

But please, let's not try to kid anyone..........

If you ain't got the equipment, you ain't going to draw a smell indoors, no matter how talented you are as a shooter.

So, the best yardstick to gauge the current status of RFBR equipment, are 6 card, ARA Indoor 2400, or better, aggs.

I'll have some final thoughts soon.......

Please be forewarned, though:

If you anticipate what I might say may skewer any of your sacred cows in the world of RFBR equipment, please don't read further.....

OK?

Reading CYankee accuracy is an option, for anyone.....

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Custom RFBR actions

Custom RFBR actions

CYA gun fool friends:

Approximately 23 years ago Flash Ebert introduced his custom Turbo RFBR action to the world of rimfire accuracy.

The custom Turbo action uses Momentum inspired, PAS ignition based on the 52 Winchester PAS ignition system.

During these same 23 years there's been the following custom, SAP ignition RFBR actions introduced:

In no particular order:

1.... Time Precision

2.... Lawton

3.... Hall

4.... Lonestar

5....Myers

6....Swindlehurst

7....2500X

8....ULA

9...Copperhead

10..Falcon

11..Trident

So in the past 23 years we've had the MD-PAS Turbo, and the 10-X copy.....

And at least eleven custom SAP actions.

So where do things stand today in the world of custom RFBR actions, after all these years?

During the most recent ARA Indoor season there were seven, 6 card, 2400 aggs fired by MD-PAS actions.

There was not a single, ARA Indoor, 6 card 2400 agg fired by any of the above eleven custom SAP actions.

7 to 0

A question/thought has to come to mind by any serious seeker of rimfire accuracy:

Why?

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

WHY?.................

WHY?.................

Why was there not a single, ARA Indoor, 6 card 2400 agg produced by any of these custom SAP actions, this past season?

1.... Time Precision

2.... Lawton

3.... Hall

4.... Lonestar

5....Myers

6....Swindlehurst

7....2500X

8....ULA

9...Copperhead

10..Falcon

11..Trident

Yet..............................

There were 7, ARA Indoor, 6 card 2400 aggs produced by custom MD-PAS Turbo actions.........Seven.

And by five different MD-PAS actions....

Why?

Your friend, BC

PS:

Our friends in the custom SAP action world don't like to hear it.......

But....................

No form of SAP ignition is capable of producing the ignition consistency of a well blueprinted MD-PAS ignition system.

And consistent ignition produces better scores........which is highlighted by indoor shooting, where the quality of the equipment is at a premium

WHY................?

WHY................?

CYA friends:

During this past ARA Indoor season, none of the SAP RFBR actions listed below produced a single, 6 card, 2400 agg.

1.... Time Precision

2.... Lawton

3.... Hall

4.... Lonestar

5....Myers

6....Swindlehurst

7....2500X

8....ULA

9...Copperhead

10..Falcon

11..Trident

Why?

Your friend, BC

PS:

I suppose the most important question that should be asked about this lack of accuracy, by SAP actions, is this:

Why are SAP RFBR actions still being produced?

Last edited:
RFBR actions

To extend your question a little farther, why would anyone build a RFBR rifle and not use the best action available?
Nostalga,
Practice,
Habit
Already have an ok action
As you can guess, this is a ornery way to use your own words to encourage you to use the best action available for SPEC 10. Which way you decide to go will provide us with some great reading and more insight into how thoroughly you think things out before acting. Your writings continually surprise me as to how many things act on each other, effecting the final result...more accuracy...thanks for your work!
Brian

Not you too, Bn1!

To extend your question a little farther, why would anyone build a RFBR rifle and not use the best action available?
Nostalga,
Practice,
Habit
Already have an ok action
As you can guess, this is a ornery way to use your own words to encourage you to use the best action available for SPEC 10. Which way you decide to go will provide us with some great reading and more insight into how thoroughly you think things out before acting. Your writings continually surprise me as to how many things act on each other, effecting the final result...more accuracy...thanks for your work!
Brian

Not you too, Bn1!

First it was Tony "TDX" Harper trying to get me to use the V-3 for THE VIRGINIAN, SPEC 10.

And then 404tbang chimed in.....

And now you, Bn1....................man!

You three are correct....

If I were going to do a build with the intent of producing the absolute most accurate RFBR gun of my career, as a RFBR schmidt, of course I'd use the V-3..............

But that isn't my intent........although I hope SPEC 10 comes close.

I'm finishing a job I started 11 years ago...

There were no V-3's back then, of course.

My intent is to build the greatest gun of my SPEC rifle series.

Which is going to be kinda tough, since I've got to better this:

DSC05055 - Copy (2) - Copy - Copy.JPG

I promise everyone this:

I'm going to give it everything I've got in my soul.......to try and accomplish it.

Your gun fool friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom