Friend Trazor

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Friend Trazor

Friend Trazor:

Your comment and question:

"I live in the UK, and yes every man and his dog has a theory on Tuners, there is an awful lot to wade through."

Friend Trazor, there is a lot of nonsense floating around the Internet about muzzle devices, "tuners".

But a muzzle device and how it enhances accuracy is extremely simple.....

A muzzle device is used to stop the muzzle of a gun barrel, when fired, and once the muzzle is stopped the muzzle device's job is done......it is never adjusted again.

When I test a new build, if I don't have the muzzle stopped in 50 rounds, I head back to the shop to disassemble the new build to find out what's wrong with it.....or where I goofed up....cause it has a problem.

Your question:

"But if I remember correctly, did you not say you had found a way of checking the MD position, and would reveal this at some point."

Friend Trazor, I'm not sure I fully understand your question.....

Would you care to elaborate?

I'm honored you have my book.....

And I like your comment about God having a sense of humor, when it comes to the 22 rimfire.

Your friend, Bill pistol fool Calfee

PS:

Friend Trazor, I wish you could sit down behind this thing for 5 minutes, there's nothing else like them in the world of RFBR...

DSC00107 - Copy.jpg

Friend Trazor:

Your question:

"But if I remember correctly, did you not say you had found a way of checking the MD position, and would reveal this at some point."

Friend Trazor, I'm not sure I fully understand your question.....

Would you care to elaborate?

Hi Bill ,

Maybe it's my memory, but did you not say a few months back, that you had come across a method of checking the exact null position of the MD
By some new means.

Or perhaps it was late and I misunderstood.

Thanks for the reply...........Any chance of a new book !!!

Hi Bill ,

Maybe it's my memory, but did you not say a few months back, that you had come across a method of checking the exact null position of the MD
By some new means.

Or perhaps it was late and I misunderstood.

Thanks for the reply...........Any chance of a new book !!!

Friend Trazor:

I apologize, but I'm afraid I still don't understand your question....

It's not you, it's me being old and senile......

Your friend, Bill pistol fool Calfee

Hi Bill,

I have just found the thread I was thinking of.......

http://www.wwaccuracy.com/showthread.php?t=6045&highlight=device

I have quoted in yellow the bit I was interested in...........

"After all these years, and after devising a couple of different methods of how to determine if I had my muzzle stopped.....

Today I finally figured out how......................

Why in the name of the Almighty didn't I see this before today.....................??????

And I invented the muzzle device almost 30 years ago..............

This contraption pictured above, with its Muller 4-MI barrel, that I killed with a stainless cleaning rod a few years back, is so unbelievably accurate, that it's allowed me to finally figure out how to determine when I have the "exact center" of the "parallel node" at the exit of the crown............with my MD setting.........

I feel like a bumbling fool for not seeing this years ago................

I've got to do some pondering as to how I go about revealing this information......

Your gun fool friend, Bill Calfee"

Thanks for your time Bill

Friend Trazor

Friend Trazor:

Yes, now I remember......I am getting old and senile, cause I thought I had responded, but I see I didn't...

Before I reveal this method of determining if the muzzle is stopped, everyone reading this needs to keep this in mind:

The parallel node has length.......

And the parallel node lengthens and contracts depending on the severity of the muzzle oscillations.

As long as all rounds maintain uniform velocity, a barrel will shoot equally well at any location along the length of the parallel node....

Now, this is so important:

Even though the parallel node expands and contracts in length, depending on the severity of the muzzle oscillations...

The "exact center" of the parallel node always remains in the same location in relation to the exit of the crown.

Therefore.................

The muzzle is truly "stopped" when the muzzle device is set so the "exact center" of the parallel node is at the exit of the crown.....

Please remember, and this is what confuses so many folks:

As long as every round stays within the length of the parallel node, even though the exact center is not at the exit of the crown, a barrel will produce its best accuracy...

If you're within the length of the parallel node with your muzzle device setting, but the MD setting does not have the "exact center" at the exit of the crown, an excessive, or low, velocity round is confronted by two things:

The vertical dispersion at the target by the errant velocity round...

Plus.................

That errant round is leaving an oscillating muzzle......

When the "exact center" of the parallel node is at the exit of the crown, an errant velocity round is only affected by the vertical variation at the target....

That errant round will still be leaving a stopped muzzle........so is not affected by wild muzzle oscillations...

Please re-read this until it's understood.....thoroughly.....

Friend Trazor, not thoroughly understanding the the dynamics of the parallel node has spawned all of the ridiculous "tuning" theories floating around the Internet.

I'll post my new way of determining if the muzzle is stopped, soon...

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Friend Trazor

Friend Trazor:

As long as a MD is set so some portion of the length of the parallel node is at the exit of the crown, accuracy will be just as good as it would be with the exact center of the parallel node at the exit of the crown.

Provided..................

One has no arrant rounds........higher or lower velocity which step outside of the length of the parallel node.

Here's the difference between simply working within the protective length of the parallel node, and, having the exact center of the parallel node at the exit of the crown, which stops the muzzle.

Simply working within the protective length:

An arrant round faces two consequences......

1. The vertical displacement at the target caused by the velocity difference of the arrant round.

2. The arrant round is now leaving an oscillation muzzle, which can cause extreme dispersement of the round, or, the oscillating muzzle might even accidentally cause the round to hit the normal point of impact...

In other words, that arrant round receives a double whammy.....

Now...............

That same arrant round with the exact center of the parallel node at the exit of the crown....the muzzle stopped.

This arrant round only receives the single consequence of the vertical difference at the target caused by the velocity variation.

This arrant round is not leaving a wildly oscillating muzzle, since the muzzle is now stopped.

More later....

Friend Trazor, I want folks to thoroughly understand the dynamics of the parallel node before I submit my new method of determining when I have the muzzle stopped.

You pistol fool friend, BC

Stopping the muzzle...

Stopping the muzzle...

CYA gun fool friends:

Before the muzzle of a RFBR contraption can be stopped, the contraption must be capable of having its muzzle stopped..

CYA friends, when I discuss rimfire accuracy here at CYA I'm referring to the level of accuracy required to win Big National RFBR events, always.

Your pistol fool friend, BC

No secret way to make all RFBR guns killers..

No secret way to make all RFBR guns killers..

CYA gun fool friends:

I got to thinking about why I didn't post my new way of determining a stopped muzzle when I originally discussed this some time back......the thread that Trazor rediscovered....

I didn't post my new way of determining a stopped muzzle at that time, now that I've reflected on it, because there are so few RFBR contraptions that could actually take advantage of the information...

CYA gun fool friends, if you don't have a full on, Class A RFBR contraption, my new way of determining when your muzzle is stopped will be meaningless to you...

My new way of determining when your muzzle is stopped isn't a magic bullet to make any RFBR gun a killer...

My new way of determining if your muzzle is stopped will only apply to possibly 10% of the RFBR contraptions on Earth.

I'll post my new way soon.............for those 10%....

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

RFBR pistols.........my true passion.......

CYA gun fool friends, I've got to give a special call for Barbara Perkins......Az_Speed's wife.

Barbara had never shot a RFBR match.......

Last weekend Az asked Barbara to attend the local ARA match in Arizona with him, and shoot if she felt comfortable.....

Now keep in mind Barbara had never shot a RFBR match.....

So she decided to attend with Az......

Az offered to let her shoot Faith, or Hope, Steve's two killer Turbo RFBR contraptions...

Now hang on to your hats....

Barbara said, "No, I want to shoot your #14 Calfee XP pistol"

And Barbara did..............

First time ever shooting a RFBR match, and Barbara finished third.....

And.................

She produced the 6th highest score of the event.....

By the way, Arizona has tough shooting conditions.....

Congratulations Barbara Perkins.......

CYA gun fool friends, these pistols don't back up from no rifles....

What could Barbara do with one of these?

DSC00107 - Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom