Extended Front Base

DiOrioMFG

For those who are interested, we are now offering this base as a stock item. I just finished a production run and have units in stock for immediate shipping. Cost of the base is $65 plus shipping, the base is supplied with the mounting screws.

Best Regards, Anthony DiOrio

7E87C6E3-347F-49BD-82A6-8646D9D398CC.jpg

Friend AD

For those who are interested, we are now offering this base as a stock item. I just finished a production run and have units in stock for immediate shipping. Cost of the base is $65 plus shipping, the base is supplied with the mounting screws.

Best Regards, Anthony DiOrio

View attachment 3148

Friend AD:

Excellent........most excellent...

You know me, I blabber a lot about stuff.......

First of all, for a single piece base for mounting both rings, using only the front scope base holes, requires the radius on the bottom of the base to be smaller than the OD of the action....

For a 1.350" diameter action, a radius on the bottom of the base of .625" works perfect....( 1.250" diameter)

This causes the base to act like a V block......

And AD, since you use the good Weaver pattern screws, along with three base attachment screws, a base with a radius like I've just described will not move.
(although some folks can make anything move)

Ad, the radius doesn't have to be that small, but, it must be smaller than the diameter of the action...

I use the .625" radius figure because it can be machined with a 1.250" diameter ball mill...

AD, I'm not telling you something you don't already know...

I learned the hard way about radius size, and had some base slippage early on......even with me using three screws...

Two pictures:

The first shows a base that's too short......and I don't want folks to get the idea this will work properly..

DSC00107 (2).jpg

This second picture is the proper ring spacing......like your new base.

DSC01636.jpg

AD, thank you for making this base available.......

I don't push the use of this style of scope mounting, not even to CYankees...

But it does have serious advantages over bridging the loading port with traditional scope mounting.

As you can tell, it ain't hurtin' Big Dog any...

Big Dog and Black Death - Copy.jpg
Your pistol fool friend, BC

Thanks Bill

Bill,

I manufacture all of our bases with a smaller radius, with my CNC machines, it's very easy to generate any radius or profile one could imagine. Over the past year, I've had several people contact me inquiring about these extended front bases, I made a half dozen a few years back when I received an order for 2 from a customer. From that, I guess word got around that I at one time supplied these. Thanks for supplying a platform to get the word out to people who may be interested and thanks for allowing me to post about "things" we make.

Take care and thanks again, Anthony

Friend AD

Bill,

I manufacture all of our bases with a smaller radius, with my CNC machines, it's very easy to generate any radius or profile one could imagine. Over the past year, I've had several people contact me inquiring about these extended front bases, I made a half dozen a few years back when I received an order for 2 from a customer. From that, I guess word got around that I at one time supplied these. Thanks for supplying a platform to get the word out to people who may be interested and thanks for allowing me to post about "things" we make.

Take care and thanks again, Anthony

Friend AD:

Your comment in bold orange:

I figured you did make the radius smaller.....and with your use of three, angle head, Weaver pattern screws the base will not shift......that is with any reasonable care......I've seen folks shift traditional scope mounting...

One other point.......

When folks use dovetail rings, they should use the type that has one leg floating....

This prevents the scope tube from being egged if the ring is not an absolutely perfect fit to the base, which most are not.

Your comment in bold sky blue:

You're most certainly welcome.

AD, Wally and I provide this site for the advancement of rimfire accuracy...nothing else....

We sell nothing nor have advertising, and I've not been a practicing RFBR schmidt in years....

We provide this site strictly because we love seeing how well we can make the 22 LR shoot.

This is why we don't allow, what I term, the "mickey mouse" side of rimfire accuracy to be discussed.

Thank you again for providing this base...

10X Actions

Bill,

Just wanted to pass this along. I just received a call from a customer with a 10X action whom purchased one of these bases. The customer stated the base will not work on a 10X action, I believe it's an issue with the mounting hole spacing.

Best Regards, Anthony

Friend AD

Bill,

Just wanted to pass this along. I just received a call from a customer with a 10X action whom purchased one of these bases. The customer stated the base will not work on a 10X action, I believe it's an issue with the mounting hole spacing.

Best Regards, Anthony

Friend AD:

Your base will work on the early 10-X actions because they use an .860" hole spacing.....

The early 10X actions had a 1.140", or so, tenon length.....

The later 10-X actions went to a 1.000" tenon length, like your Turbo, which didn't leave room for the standard .860" hole spacing on the front receiver ring....

The front hole spacing on the late 10-X actions is, I believe, .750".........

Thank you again for making these bases......

AD, a whole bunch of folks are going to want your base.....including late 10-X owners...

So you might have to make a special base for them....

By the way, if you do, place the third hole in the base centered on the .750" hole spacing....

10-X actions are not drilled and tapped for the third screw like your actions...

But..............

10-X owners can use the middle hole in the base as a drill jig to put the third hole in their actions....

All actions using this base should have three mounting screws...

Friend AD

Friend AD

Friend AD:

I'll check to make sure the late 10-X actions do use a .750" hole spacing on the front receiver ring.....the first 10-X actions use the common .860" spacing....

Anthony, there's several big time players who are comfortable with the 10-X actions.....

Folks like Greg Monroe and Jerry Smith for example, and you can't blame them....

Greg just won the PSL in Georgia, and is one of only two competitors to go over 12000 PSL, the other being Chuck Morrell.

And look at the 2500's Jerry Smith has kicked out with a 10-X action....

Here's my point:

Your V-3 and late V-1 have better features than the 10-X actions......glued in firing pin tip verses silver soldered, being one.

But...................

Those folks are comfortable with the 10-X actions and are not likely to change....and you can't blame them...

Therefore..............

If you'd produce your base for the late 10-X actions, I suspect every 10-X owner would want one...

I'll double check on the .750" hole spacing.....and post.......soon...

Friend AD

Friend AD

Friend AD:

Yes, the scope base hole spacing on the late 10-X actions is .750"...

Here's a drilling jig I made up when I ran across my first late 10-X action with the .750" hole spacing..

I made it from the back section of a Weaver #70A base for an XP...

The two outside holes are counterbored for Weaver angle head screws, which self center the jig on the two existing front base holes of the late 10-X actions.....

I left the center hole drilled with a #31, not counterbored, to very accurate put the middle hole in perfect alignment with the two existing holes....

DSC01650 - Copy.jpg

PS:

I started to head to the range to shoot my pistol, it was dead calm, then I checked the weather report and severe thunderstorms are headed this way, so I chickened out...

Anthony, these pistols don't back up from no rifles.....

DSC00107 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom