Will my barrel buck the wind?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool

CYA friends:

How can one tell if their barrel will buck the wind. or not?

There is a simple, and fool proof test.

With all else being equal, by this I mean, you have a barrel with a uniform rate of twist, with a perfectly centered and finished chamber, a perfectly executed crown with absolutely no check, with proper bore and groove diameters and fit to a Class A RFBR action, well stocked and bedded.

If your barrel meets the above requirements, here is a simple, and foolproof, test that will tell you whether, or not, your barrel will buck the wind:

With the bore clean and dry, push a slug to the exit of the crown, and allow the nose of the slug, bullet, to protrude from it........

Then with your finger, push the slug, bullet, back into the bore...........

If the slug pushed back easily, your barrel will not buck the wind........

If the resistance required to push the slug back bites your finger smartly, your barrel will buck the wind.

As a matter of fact, the harder it bites your finger to push it back in, the better it will buck the wind...........

( remember, the crown must not have a check in it or you will, of course, get a false reading...........and the barrel ain't going to shoot anyway with a check in the crown, wind bucking or not)

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Want to add something important

CYA friends:

How can one tell if their barrel will buck the wind. or not?

There is a simple, and fool proof test.

With all else being equal, by this I mean, you have a barrel with a uniform rate of twist, with a perfectly centered and finished chamber, a perfectly executed crown with absolutely no check, with proper bore and groove diameters and fit to a Class A RFBR action, well stocked and bedded.

If your barrel meets the above requirements, here is a simple, and foolproof, test that will tell you whether, or not, your barrel will buck the wind:

With the bore clean and dry, push a slug to the exit of the crown, and allow the nose of the slug, bullet, to protrude from it........

Then with your finger, push the slug, bullet, back into the bore...........

If the slug pushed back easily, your barrel will not buck the wind........

If the resistance required to push the slug back bites your finger smartly, your barrel will buck the wind.

As a matter of fact, the harder it bites your finger to push it back in, the better it will buck the wind...........

( remember, the crown must not have a check in it or you will, of course, get a false reading...........and the barrel ain't going to shoot anyway with a check in the crown, wind bucking or not)

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Want to add something important

CYA friends:

What we're wanting to check here, is the absolute last thing the heel of the bullet sees as it exits the muzzle........

This picture will explain why we must have a check free crown.

To run this test, the bullet needs to be pushed out of the actual exit of the crown, at least to the end of the first wax carrying band of the bullet.

If all else is equal, everything I described above, about the barrel/gun, the more difficult the slug is to push back into the bore, the better that barrel will buck the wind.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

EDIT: One other note:

This test will determine the wind bucking ability of whatever particular style of rifling your barrel has.......

Of course the "trick" rifled barrels will buck the wind better simply because of their design, than traditional rifled barrels.

But, even a trick rifled barrel will not buck the wind if you can push the slug back in the bore easily.

BC

DSC07079.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom