Does the action matter?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Does the action matter?

CYA friends:

Does the action actually matter, or is rimfire accuracy simply about bullets and barrels?

During my career as a RFBR schmidt, I've always thoroughly tested any device, action, barrel etc., before deciding whether to incorporate it into my guns, or not............( it'd be cool if all component makers would do that, but............)

Anyway, some years ago, I ran a series of tests to determine how the new momentum dependent, PAS ignitioned E Turbo stacked up against the vertical lock-up, SAP ignitioned actions that I was using at that time, in this case a highly blueprinted 40-X and one of my XP-22's, of course very highly blueprinted by their nature.

The barrel for this series of tests was a 6 groove Douglas that I had taper lapped, and shot a bunch in competition, so most of the shine was gone from it...

But, all I was interested in seeing, was whether there was a difference in accuracy when it was fit to a 40-X, my XP-22 and the new E Turbo.

If you study these pictures, I believe you'll see how I managed to fit this barrel to all three actions, without changing the chamber in any fashion, and keeping the exact same head space.....

I did not use extractors in any of the actions during the tests, to keep the test uniform..........

All three actions were shot using my old #1 Slave stock.........

Same scope and mounts, same ammo and same MD setting, the muzzle was stopped.......and all tests were shot the same day, cleaning the barrel for each test exactly the same way...

I'll post all the pictures, then as time goes on I'll list more details about the tests and the final results...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

These two pictures are of the barrel fit to the XP-22 in the conventional way......

Calfee%205.jpg

Calfee%206.jpg

Here is how the barrel was fit to the 40-X..

Calfee%203.jpg

Calfee%204.jpg

Go to next post for pictures of how the barrel was fit to the E-Turbo.....BC

Last edited:
Here's how the barrel was fit to the E-Turbo

Here's how the barrel was fit to the E-Turbo

CYA friends, especially 404tbang:

To fit this barrel to the E-Turbo, I actually threaded the .700" reduced portion of the XP 22 tenon......

Which means I had less than .007" actual thread engagement.......( so, for the Houston warehouse, does full thread engagement have any bearing on accuracy? The answer is no. ( For centerifre safety it matters of course, but not for accuracy)

Did the barrel center properly in the Turbo action with only .007" thread engagement? The answer is yes, it centered absolutely perfect.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

One other thing, look how thin the precision spacer is...........did it matter? No.......

This was a fascinating series of tests, and a learning experience................

So, does the action matter? Oh yes......I'll fill in the blanks and report the test results soon....bc

Calfee%201.jpg

Calfee%202.jpg

PS:

Before I forget........was this series of tests expensive and time consuming? Yes.

But, without tests like these and the data derived thereof, one is simply guessing at what actually produces rimfire accuracy and what doesn't.........

Like I've said already, it'd be really good if all component makers tested their products thoroughly before marketing them........but for some reason that just don't happen, so us consumers are left with modifying and blueprinting components ourselves, if we expect to win big Nationals on a regular basis, which I do expect to do, and always have.....bc

Last edited:
Does the action really matter?

CYA friends:

The answer is of course yes.........

Not only does the action matter, but the action is the reason that big time, RFBR National Events have been dominated by Turbo Class Actions since the advent of the original E Turbo.......

See, we can fit any brand of barrel to any action........

And we use the same ammo in all of our RFBR guns, no matter what action is used.......

So, if rimfire accuracy was the result of barrels and bullets, we would have a random dispersion of action types winning the big Nationals...

But, the momentum dependent, PAS ignitioned TCA actions dominate the big Nationals............using all brands of barrels...

CYA friends, these tests I ran show that there is a difference in accuracy potential that is produced solely by the action itself...

I took one barrel and fit it to three different type actions, and I did it in such a way that the only difference in the results of the testing would be due to the role that the action itself played........

IF, rimfire accuracy was the result of barrels and ammo, then all three tests should have been pretty much identical....

But as you will see later, they were not. Actually it wasn't even close......which shows why the TCA's dominate the big Nationals.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Calfee%201.jpg

Calfee%202.jpg

Back
Top Bottom