A tragic loss, if true...

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
A tragic loss, if true...

CYA friends:

I just heard a rumor that is tragic, if true..

SK SSHP and HVHP ammo is no longer being made.

Surly to God this rumor is not true.

What a tragic loss for the world of advancing rimfire accuracy, if SK has actually stopped making these two bullets..

See CYA friends, these are hollow point bullets.....so we can safely push the slug both ways..

And, they have the black oxide finish, which makes reading the slugs, for several reason, much more accurate than a natural lead colored slug.

And then they are so easy to remove from the case...

By the way, I do not recommend anyone pull bullets from live ammo to use for slugging....

CYA friends, surely the rumor of SK stopping production of these two bullets is false...

Over the years I've used thousands of these two HP, SK bullets......and I've never fired a single round of them...

And I ain't alone......

Man I hope this rumor isn't true....

Your friend, a saddened, maybe, Bill Calfee

CYA friends, I've used thousands of these bullets over the years, and I've never fired a single round of them in a gun..

And I ain't alone........surely they haven't stopped making these HP bullets........bc

DSC08718.jpg

Last edited:
Better stock up Bill. One case and you could slug as long as your arm would last. I don't think it costs that much. They have it at the Lapua test center for sale but don't test it.

Just as an aside, the CMP and Eley have teamed up with some kind of offering for about $325 a case. Probably some good stuff.

Maybe a replacement

I am thinking SK is gone but there may be a replacement. Fiocchi has a HP that appears to have the blackened surface. I don’t know if they are as easy to remove as SK. I am thinking of getting a box OF Fiocchi to try. I have a brick of SK, I can’t find any for sale.

Friend JH

I am thinking SK is gone but there may be a replacement. Fiocchi has a HP that appears to have the blackened surface. I don’t know if they are as easy to remove as SK. I am thinking of getting a box OF Fiocchi to try. I have a brick of SK, I can’t find any for sale.

Friend JH:

I did not know anything about SK stopping the manufacture of the SSHP ammo......or even the HVHP ammo...

Until Jeff Patterson told me yesterday he tried to purchase some, and there was none to be found.

So is the rumor true?

Has SK stopped making the SSHP ammo, that we've all used for years now for slugging?

Before we figure what to do next about slugging slugs, we need to know for sure.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Does SK still make the SSHP ammo we've used for years to slug with?

If not, serious seekers of rimfire accuracy advancement need to do something....bc

Last edited:
drawing

If it is true that you all are losing your slugging supply, can you show me a drawing of the requirements for the slugs? I have built a few lead molds for pouring fishing jig heads and electrical fittings. Maybe pour them, then coat them with whatever you like. Could it be as simple as that to keep you all supplied? or am I missing something?

Another thought is to find extruded lead wire at the needed O.D. then punch it in a mold to size then coat? Just a thought...

Gerry

Friend feednspeed

If it is true that you all are losing your slugging supply, can you show me a drawing of the requirements for the slugs? I have built a few lead molds for pouring fishing jig heads and electrical fittings. Maybe pour them, then coat them with whatever you like. Could it be as simple as that to keep you all supplied? or am I missing something?

Another thought is to find extruded lead wire at the needed O.D. then punch it in a mold to size then coat? Just a thought...

Gerry

Friend feednspeed:

Slugs that will allow one to properly evaluate the bore of a rimfire barrel, or centerfire for that matter, need to be waxed, and hollow point configuration.

The hollow point is so the slug can be safely pushed both directions in the bore.

As far as the wax, not all brands of ammo have wax with the required characteristics....

The wax (lube)issue is kinda funny...

If one used a plain lead slug, then put oil in the bore, one can not read the bore properly......any oil by the way.

One does not want to over grease either the slug or the bore....

But one does not want a dry slug either......

The absolute best bullets ever made for slugging, for accurately evaluating a bore, were the Fiocchi with Silver Stardust wax.

The only problem with them was they were not hollow point.....

So, I had to use a punch and dimple the nose.....so the slug could be pushed both ways.

The next best bullet for slugging, were the SK sub-sonic HP, or the HV HP....plus, with the black oxide finish they made visual reading of the slug easier.

Plus they were so easy to remove.....although I do not recommend that folks pull slugs from live ammo.....

I had one go off in my hand years ago.....I used to pull 50 at a time, by taking a needle nose and pinching the case while holding the bullet with my thumb.....and I must have pinched too hard on one, because it went off....

I stood there anticipating seeing blood dropping from where ever the slug hit me.....

But it didn't.....it burnt my thumb, but nothing else....I was lucky, big time......I never did find the case...

I'm going to get a box of the Fiocchi that Jerry Halcomb spoke of.....

If you try to make some slugs, use the dimensions of the regular Long Rifle slug.

As far as wax, I wouldn't know what to advise you.....you may have to spearment some here.

Your friend, BC

Well Sir,
I put in a couple hours this afternoon on this slug project. I made a mold, and poured a dozen or so with pure lead at 0.250" dia., then pushed them thru a die with a press. They are between 3/8" and 5/8" long by 0.223" and 0.224 and have a dimple in one or both ends and a flat on the other....that parts easy. I pushed a few thru a 16" barrel from an old build and they worked great.....and I didn't lube them. This is a quick first try, so if you need rounded ends etc. we can work on that, but the process is fairly easy so far. Here's a picture...

Have fun,
Gerry

Attachments

• IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 343
Friend feednspeed

Well Sir,
I put in a couple hours this afternoon on this slug project. I made a mold, and poured a dozen or so with pure lead at 0.250" dia., then pushed them thru a die with a press. They are between 3/8" and 5/8" long by 0.223" and 0.224 and have a dimple in one or both ends and a flat on the other....that parts easy. I pushed a few thru a 16" barrel from an old build and they worked great.....and I didn't lube them. This is a quick first try, so if you need rounded ends etc. we can work on that, but the process is fairly easy so far. Here's a picture...

Have fun,
Gerry

Friend feednspeed:

Very good.

Your friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom