Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Diameter of 22 rimfire bullet "grove"

  1. #1

    Question Diameter of 22 rimfire bullet "grove"

    What is the grove diameter of 22 rimfire bullets as they come out the muzzle end of a 4 grove shilen ratchet or octogon barrel? Is it .222 or .224? I know it varies in tenth's but as a general rule in conversation we would say a 22rimfire bullet is .222 and the bullet we shoot in a 22ppc or centerfire is a jacketed .224 bullet. Now here is the BUMMER why do we use a .224 plug to check close shots in rimfire? " Now final question" Are we getting screwed by Ammo mfg and the Plug? Chief

  2. #2

    Friend jerry mcfall

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry mcfall View Post
    What is the grove diameter of 22 rimfire bullets as they come out the muzzle end of a 4 grove shilen ratchet or octogon barrel? Is it .222 or .224? I know it varies in tenth's but as a general rule in conversation we would say a 22rimfire bullet is .222 and the bullet we shoot in a 22ppc or centerfire is a jacketed .224 bullet. Now here is the BUMMER why do we use a .224 plug to check close shots in rimfire? " Now final question" Are we getting screwed by Ammo mfg and the Plug? Chief
    Friend jerry mcfall:

    All the ratchet and octagons I've used were slightly under .222" groove diameter at the muzzles.

    Why the plugs we use are .224", I have no idea.

    The 224" diameter plug obviously gives something to Position, PSL, IR-50 and RBA shooters......and it takes away from ARA shooters......

    But to make a change now would mess up all the world records.

    Your friend, BC

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    127
    Jerry:

    I agree with you.. The .22 cal. plug is .224 and most of the bullets are .222 or even .221. Like Bill said, the Official plug helps the shooters of RBA, IR-50 and PSL targets because of best edge scoring, but hurts ARA shooters with the worst edge scoring.. I know that I have had several competitors protest some shots on the ARA target, because they could see a slight amount of blue, but when the plug was inserted, it scored the lower value..

    Don't know what the answer is going to be, other than continue to use the .224 plug and "bite the bullet" (no pun intended). I can't see having three or four different plugs and having to test fire all the competitors rifles to see what plug to use on their targets. And what a mess it would create with the current records.

    Only thing is, that by using the .224 plug, everyone is scored on the same level playing field....

    JMHO for what it's worth..

    Dave

  4. #4

    Question diameter of 22 rimfire bullet

    If you look at the top lefthand square it shows how measuring should be done,if you can see blue it scores 100 points. I looked back at some old targets that were hand scored in ST Louis several years ago"NATIONALS" targets were scored as per instructions on target. Is that true today? We remember seeing the first few 2500"s shot would they make it with the new Electronic measuring of today. Nuf said Chief

  5. #5

    Program itself??

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry mcfall View Post
    If you look at the top lefthand square it shows how measuring should be done,if you can see blue it scores 100 points. I looked back at some old targets that were hand scored in ST Louis several years ago"NATIONALS" targets were scored as per instructions on target. Is that true today? We remember seeing the first few 2500"s shot would they make it with the new Electronic measuring of today. Nuf said Chief
    Jerry,

    I think the program uses several points within the hole to locate the center of the hole. Then if it was part of the program to score from a .112" off the center point, scoring should be the same as with the .224" pin. It could also pick up on the amount of removed paper from the bullet passing threw, it could be programed that way also, as long as the program works from the .224" scale the score should be good.


    That is a great question, I hope someone gives you an answer, because if they did base the hole size at .222" there would be .001" advantage to the new electronic scoring. I think hands down the electronic scoring is the way to go.

    Ivanhoe

  6. #6

    advantage or disadvantage

    Ivanhoe read the reply from Bill C and Dave S ::: you will see that the Electronic measuring will tell you to plug a close shot, as a result you are putting a .224 plug in a hole made by a .222 bullet "paper will tear give rip or whatever" therefore the plug will lap over further than the bullet hole, that small amount of blue you saw to give you that hundred you are trying for is now gone and you have a fifty. Chief

  7. #7

    Again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry mcfall View Post
    Ivanhoe read the reply from Bill C and Dave S ::: you will see that the Electronic measuring will tell you to plug a close shot, as a result you are putting a .224 plug in a hole made by a .222 bullet "paper will tear give rip or whatever" therefore the plug will lap over further than the bullet hole, that small amount of blue you saw to give you that hundred you are trying for is now gone and you have a fifty. Chief
    Until you know how the electronic program is set up .222" or .224" its not tearing the paper like a plug, but it will read the center of the bullet hole and score accordingly.
    Ivanhoe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •