Where is the original Calfee ARA Project Rifle?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Where is the original Calfee ARA Project Rifle?

CYA friends:

Where is the original ARA Project Rifle.

This rifle is probably the most valuable RFBR rifle on Earth.

If memory serves me, a gentleman by the name of Kirk Larson won that first ARA project rifle...

Where is the most valuable RFBR gun on Earth, today?

CYA friends, if that first ARA Project Rifle is completely original, can you imagine what it's worth today......it staggers the imagination......!

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Memories..........

Memories..........

CYA friends:

It would be nice if the first ARA Project Rifle is still all original.

Because if it is, it's priceless today.

Your friend, BC

DSC08476.jpg

CYA friends, as you can see below, the first ARA Project Rifle was valued at $5,000.00....

This was back in 2003..........

If it's still all original, the value of it today is mind blowing.

DSC08483.jpg

The ARA graphics on the action were done by hand.

All of my action graphics throughout the years were done by hand.

Which means they are not "machine perfect".

But doing them by hand incorporates the "human frailty" into them.

DSC08482.jpg

Last edited:
The Human Hand

Hi Bill

"The ARA graphics on the action were done by hand.

But doing them by hand incorporates the "human frailty" into them."

Interesting you said that because many years ago I had a similar experience.
I was redoing the logo badge on the front of a 1960's McLaren race car and a graphic artist friend offered to do it by computer
Well when he had finished it was perfect, everything was even and symmetrical and perfectly spaced But it just looked wrong

It was only when I studied the original Logo badge in detail that I found things to be slightly off here and there ever so slightly, it had obviously been done by a human hand but it looked Right.

There must be something in us that makes us appreciate the art of the human hand.

Regards
Graham

Last edited:
Friend Deveng

Hi Bill

"The ARA graphics on the action were done by hand.

But doing them by hand incorporates the "human frailty" into them."

Interesting you said that because many years ago I had a similar experience.
I was redoing the logo badge on the front of a 1960's McLaren race car and a graphic artist friend offered to do it by computer
Well when he had finished it was perfect, everything was even and symmetrical and perfectly spaced But it just looked wrong

It was only when I studied the original Logo badge in detail that I found things to be slightly off here and there ever so slightly, it had obviously been done by a human hand but it looked Right.

There must be something in us that makes us appreciate the art of the human hand.

Regards
Graham

Friend Deveng:

I'd love to inspect that first ARA Project Rifle.

If that rifle is 100% original, and the bore is in pristine condition, not only would it probably be the most valuable RFBR gun on Earth, today, it would be competitive to boot.

In 2003 taper lapping by barrel makers had not come into vogue, yet.

Shilen did not start taper lapping until mid to late 2007, for instance.

I taper lapped the 6 groove Lilja that I used on the original ARA Project Rifle.

At that time Lilja straight lapped the bore, but the finished groove diameter was such that it left me room to induce a taper to the bore.

Also at that time I was using a reamer which I had a perfect matching hob for......something I do not have today, by the way.

So not only is that fine Lilja taper lapped, it has a full on hob finished chamber.

With some of the killer ammo that's coming into the country today, if that rifle is still pristine, it would be extremely competitive.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Most human beings appreciate things created by the human hand .........because things created such come from the soul.

Bill

Kirk Larson still has it all original and only has about a case shot threw it. ARA around Springfield pretty much died out. He let his son shoot it up until he quit.

Friend Brian

Bill

Kirk Larson still has it all original and only has about a case shot threw it. ARA around Springfield pretty much died out. He let his son shoot it up until he quit.

Friend Brian:

Thanks for the info...

I know that Kirk's son, soon after Kirk won the ARA rifle, kicked out a big time score with it.....

It seems I may have spoken to his son and congratulated him on that card......( although I can't swear to that, I may be dreaming )

Brian, if than fine barrel only has a case through it, and, if the bore hasn't been damaged from cleaning, here's what I like to do:

I'd like to pull that barrel and inspect it for wear and damage.

If the bore shows just a case of wear, and there's no damage of any kind, then I'd do this next:

I'd clean the bore and slug it to see if any glaze has built up.

If there's no glazing present, it would be good to go.

If there is some glazing, I'd be able to determine if something like a good work over with JB or ISSO would remove it..

Or, if I needed to cast a lap and do a full-on de-glazing of that fine bore.

If that fine barrel wound up totally pristine, no matter what I had to do to it, or not do to it....

That first ARA Project Rifle, with some of this new killer ammo that's being brought into the country today, would run with anything.

Thanks again,

Your friend, BC

PS:

I was talking to somebody yesterday, or maybe it was Friday, who said Kirk was left handed, which I did remember after he mentioned it, and of course the ARA rifle is left port...

Well, since it's a Turbo action with full backbone, there's a solution for that issue too.

DSC08865.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom