uniform rifleing twist

Friend Karls42

an interesting item I recently came across

http://riflebarrels.com/twist-machine/

Friend Karls42:

Very good article...thanks for posting it.

As a RFBR schmidt for these past 40 plus years, both for IHMSA, RFBR and small bore position shooters, on occasion, the only thing I could never determine was the twist rate of the barrels I worked with.

I believe I can control every other aspect of building "killer" rimfire accuracy guns, except the rate of twist of the barrel.

The biggest regret I've had throughout all these years, is not being able to determine the twist rate of my barrels.

I have a handful of barrels in my shop today, brand new barrels that passed my evaluation 100%, barrels that slugged perfectly and measured perfectly in the grooves, and with perfect chambers fit to Class A RFBR actions, which would not shoot.

I'm convinced that this handful of barrels, with perfect specs otherwise, have faulty rates of twist.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

If you go to the right and click on "winners and world records" you'll see a ton of CYankees listed.

You'll see where Steve Turner won BR-50 National Championships three years in a row...

My old friend Warren "Mac" McFarland and his legendary accomplishments.

And of course Harry Deneen's amazing accomplishments.

And the amazing accomplishments of DJ Hepler.......

DJ started the 2006 ARA St Louis Nationals with a 1650 card........yes 1650.......with probably 125, or more, competitors in attendance.

No one can shoot a 1650 card at the St Louis ARA National and win.

Yet DJ Hepler overcame that 1650 first card, and came back to win.........mind blowing.

And a bunch of other CYankees are listed...

But the record that probably is most interesting, and ahead of its time, is Hoke Kerns' 4900 BR-50 all time record.

This record was set in 1998, on the BRV version of the BR-50 target.

The BRV version was 25 bulls, with the bulls staggered vertically to require the shooter to make more vertical sighting adjustments, than simply leveling the 50 bulls BR-50 target, with ten bulls in a row, then leveling the rest and gun to match, and simply dialing across the target.

Hoke's record target, scored as an ARA target, was 2450 actual score.

(The BR-50 and ARA bulls are the same size and scored the exact same way)

In other words, Hoke fired an actual 2450 ARA score back in 1998.

It took over five years, after ARA came into existence, for an ARA shooter to shoot the first 2450 ARA card.

And of course all of these CYankee records were accomplished with Lilja barrels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom