These DiOrio, MD-PAS triple pistols are coming

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool

CYA friends:

The most anticipated and citing new development in Big Time RFBR today, is the possibility of these new DiOrio, MD-PAS triple pistols, for the masses.

I just received a picture of Jeff Patterson's new bi-pod for these new pistols.

I love it.....

Man I'm cited..............and so is the rest of the world of Big Time RFBR...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Jeff, it's awesome.......I hope you find time to produce them, cause there's about to be a demand.

Patterson%20bi-pod.jpg

Last edited:
I guess he will produce them....

CYA friends:

The most anticipated and citing new development in Big Time RFBR today, is the possibility of these new DiOrio, MD-PAS triple pistols, for the masses.

I just received a picture of Jeff Patterson's new bi-pod for these new pistols.

I love it.....

Man I'm cited..............and so is the rest of the world of Big Time RFBR...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Jeff, it's awesome.......I hope you find time to produce them, cause there's about to be a demand.

Patterson%20bi-pod.jpg

I guess he will produce them....

CYA friends:

I've not talked to Jeff Patterson since he sent me this picture.......

Here I'm busy looking at the bi-pod itself and didn't notice the three sets of aluminum hardware for the rail attachment to the right of the legs.

Unless Jeff's getting ready to build himself four pistols it looks like he will be producing these bi-pods, although I'll have to confirm that.

Jeff told me he's going to first try a different set-up for placing the bi-pod feet on the bench, rather than using rubber feet resting on the Eley ammo trays.

He said he's going to try Delrin ball feet resting on a hard smooth surface.

CYA friends, this is what's going to be so kool about these pistols, folks will try different methods of dealing with the bi-pod/bench top.

If what Jeff is doing doesn't pan out, he can always go to the rubber feet on the Eley trays, or, like I used to do, have the rubber feet resting on a sheet of material that in turn rests on a flat base plate.

The idea here, and it works great, if for the rubber feet to grip the thin top sheet and allow it to slide on the base plate.

I used this method for years, actually using a phone book cover for the thin top sheet......

By the way, the base plate needs to have three thin pads under it, so it can't possibly rock on an uneven bench top.

I found some thin, clear rubber pads that I glued to my bottom plate...

One of my base plates has three round pads made from 80 grit wet or dry sand paper....and works great.

Anyway, it's going to be fascinating to watch the creativity of folks with these pistols.

Your friend, BC

Patterson%20bi-pod.jpg

Last edited:
Versatility is the key

You need the right weapons for the coming revolution. I whipped this one up with my right hand (I'm left handed) while watching a basketball game, playing chess, and writing a letter with my eyes and my left hand. Granted it still needs a tip on one of the long legs, but you can only do so much in fifteen minutes especially when you're not looking.

This has the cross brace as you notice and the stability is readily apparent.

There's a minimum of seven inches lift from the base. Probably about 6 1/2 considering the forward angle. The longer legs provide a max of about 91/2 inches. It should work well for the owner who has one that covers about 5 inches.

mini-Bipod_2.jpg

I can't say who really made it. He said he's not in the business.

Last edited:
V-3 XP pistols

I would be surprised if numerous enthusiasts weren’t making bi-pods and whatever else they can getting ready for the forthcoming V-3 XP. I’m going to stop on my bi-pods until I actually get my hands on the stock I will be using....probably not the nylon Remington stock I currently have. I want to know the slope of the forend before I finish the yoke....don’t want the legs to be to vertical or splayed to much. At this point I want a LBLP action...allowing me to keep my shooting hand on the grip between shots. Even though I love the look of the standard Remington stock and I have an extra one, i’m afraid it would be a real bugger to modify it to left bolt. Working on the things I can furnish helps reduce the anxiety I have waiting for my new present for me from me....and Mr. DiOrio.8949AF48-62D2-4103-94C4-3AA83D3F4DB9.jpg

Friend Bn1

I would be surprised if numerous enthusiasts weren’t making bi-pods and whatever else they can getting ready for the forthcoming V-3 XP. I’m going to stop on my bi-pods until I actually get my hands on the stock I will be using....probably not the nylon Remington stock I currently have. I want to know the slope of the forend before I finish the yoke....don’t want the legs to be to vertical or splayed to much. At this point I want a LBLP action...allowing me to keep my shooting hand on the grip between shots. Even though I love the look of the standard Remington stock and I have an extra one, i’m afraid it would be a real bugger to modify it to left bolt. Working on the things I can furnish helps reduce the anxiety I have waiting for my new present for me from me....and Mr. DiOrio.View attachment 1481

Friend Bn1:

You took the words right out of my mouth........

There's a bunch of folks with ideas mulling around in their heads about these pistols.

I like the idea of the knurled attachment bolt.........instead of using an Allen wrench...

If one could make it captive to the aluminum saddle, that would be kool....

I bet I've thought about doing this 50 times over the years, but never did.......

A very important question, and one which I've yet to answer, is this:

I'm right handed, so what bolt/port configuration will ultimately work best?

I spent my entire shooting career shooting a right/right XP pistol.

And I felt in no way handicapped.....but, of course, I had no choice in the matter.

The MD-PAS triple pistol I'm now building is RB/LP...

So I'm in for a new experience..........

I've sat and pretended I was shooting my new RB/LP pistol.......

Trying to get a feel for what it's going to be like.......

But, until I actually get it completed, and actually get to fool with it, I can't be sure whether I'll like it better, or not.

There's one thing for sure, since it's a 10-X based triple lug action, if I don't like it, I'm stuck, since I can't dual port it since 10-X removed the backbone of the action with their loading port configuration.

I'd use my new V-3 instead, in a heartbeat, but, the spacer to extend the front to XP length would have to bear the entire front bedding.....

Which means the spacer's attachment method would have to be as strong as the rest of the action, which would be a nightmare to execute.

The spacer for this 10-X action only needs to hold the recoil lug for the trigger linkage...since the action is long enough for the front bedding, as is.

You're right, the factory XP stocks are a nightmare to alter......way too much trouble...

But they do have the "classic" look of a Class A RFBR pistol.

A proper center grip stock, for the masses, will have to be developed, and there's folks doing that as I type this.

Friend Bn1, if you did the bi-pod in the picture Wally posted, that is nice work.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Friend Bn1

Friend Bn1

I opened the picture you posted....

Your friend, BC

bi-pod%20material.jpg

PS:

Spring is about to bloom, and if the world don't end first, my MD-PAS triple pistol is about to bloom, too....

Last edited:
Bi pod

Yes, whoever did Mr. Smallwood’s bi pod did really nice word with some good innovations. I’m not going to cut the legs to length until I have the stock. The legs are 5/16”. .049wall 604 stainless steel tube. I don’t have a lathe, so I coildn’t Bore the end of solid stock. By the looks of the recent pictures posted, it looks like bi pods will not be much of a problem for those putting pistols together. I’m sure as other issues/needs come up someone will post pictures and solutions. I’m having a good time, thanks for your forum!
Come on people....it’s show and tell time.

Last edited:
Friend wsmallwood

You need the right weapons for the coming revolution. I whipped this one up with my right hand (I'm left handed) while watching a basketball game, playing chess, and writing a letter with my eyes and my left hand. Granted it still needs a tip on one of the long legs, but you can only do so much in fifteen minutes especially when you're not looking.

This has the cross brace as you notice and the stability is readily apparent.

There's a minimum of seven inches lift from the base. Probably about 6 1/2 considering the forward angle. The longer legs provide a max of about 91/2 inches. It should work well for the owner who has one that covers about 5 inches.

mini-Bipod_2.jpg

I can't say who really made it. He said he's not in the business.

Friend wsmallwood

Wally:

When I first read your post, I thought you had doodled the picture of this bi-pod....

Whoever built this bi-pod did an exceptional job....

It looks like the aluminum saddle is rounded in front......kool!

Man I'm cited....

Your friend, BC

PS:

I at first thought this was a doodle you did, Wally...

This is a nice piece of work....

mini-Bipod_2.jpg

Bill,

I told you once that I couldn't draw a stick man. I sure couldn't draw that even though it is just angles, but it would require me drawing convincing feet and knurled bolts. Couldn't do it.

It's real, and will be in action shortly. I just can't tell who did it because as he said "I'm not in the business" but looks like many people are jumping in.

A nice piece of work...

Bill,

I told you once that I couldn't draw a stick man. I sure couldn't draw that even though it is just angles, but it would require me drawing convincing feet and knurled bolts. Couldn't do it.

It's real, and will be in action shortly. I just can't tell who did it because as he said "I'm not in the business" but looks like many people are jumping in.

A nice piece of work...

Wally, yes, there's a ton on interest in these pistols......I mean a ton...

I really like the knurled attachment bolt.........do you know if the maker of this bi-pod made it captive with the aluminum saddle?

I've thought about doing something similar for years, but just never got around to it.....

But I just may do it now........

Wally, creative things inspire......just like that knurled attachment bolt......

To have it captive with the bi-pod would be the koolest thing ever.

Your friend, BC

mini-Bipod_2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a note from the maker Bill,

Hello

I appreciate the positive comments. I only did what I’ve seen and tried to make an owner of the gold standard of RFBR, the Calfee XP pistol, proud and not detract.

The knurled attachment screw is not captive. It was thought of but decided against. The pistol was not at hand so unsure how long to make the threads. The owner could easily remove, cut and replace.

The 3 sets of leg feet are for different range setups. Only had 5 vacuum caps so one is missing. These are the Dorman type vacuum caps.

The owner wanted an upright sitting position as possible, therefore the long legs and feet.

I hope this clarifies the design parameters and decisions.

Friend wsmallwood

Here's a note from the maker Bill,

Hello

I appreciate the positive comments. I only did what I’ve seen and tried to make an owner of the gold standard of RFBR, the Calfee XP pistol, proud and not detract.

The knurled attachment screw is not captive. It was thought of but decided against. The pistol was not at hand so unsure how long to make the threads. The owner could easily remove, cut and replace.

The 3 sets of leg feet are for different range setups. Only had 5 vacuum caps so one is missing. These are the Dorman type vacuum caps.

The owner wanted an upright sitting position as possible, therefore the long legs and feet.

I hope this clarifies the design parameters and decisions.

Friend wsmallwood

Wally:

Please relay this for me:

To the anonymous builder of this beautiful bi-pod, you've inspired me to incorporate a knurled attachment bolt to my latest bi-pod, and, I'm going to make it captive to my bi-pod...

Also to the anonymous artist who built this bi-pod:

You say you don't want to do more of these beautiful bi-pods.

My anonymous friend, when duty calls, the artists of this world respond.

Your friend, BC

My anonymous friend, folks crave the art you have the ability to create.

mini-Bipod_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom