Trigger

Friend AD

Friend AD:

CYA friends:

AD is thinking about producing his own trigger for his Turbo position rifles.

We discussed this today, and I suggested he move the trigger shoe pivot pin higher, since I figured he'd be using the standard Remington height housing, like the 40-X, Mod 700 etc.

This is the standard housing height that the Jewel, FF and B&A use.

I didn't think about using the XP height housing.........

But, by using the XP housing, makes the trigger shoe pivot pin location higher automatically.

I do not use an over travel stop on my pistols.......or rifles for that matter...

But a lot of shooters do, and position shooters probably do too?

So I added an over travel screw to your drawing, AD.

The L shaped sear return spring screw can act as the over travel adjustment in the XP trigger, if needed, but, the trigger tension must be adjusted by shortening, or lengthening the return spring itself......

CYA friends, what AD has done by using the XP height housing, which moves the trigger shoe pivot pin higher, is similar to what folks have done for years to the Winchester Micro Motion trigger to turn it into a 2 ounce trigger for bench rest shooting.

CYA friends, the new XP tirgger AD is going to produce, using the tension re-set spring, will give the lightest upward pressure against the bottom of the cocking piece of any trigger.......

The trigger I made for my new MD-PAS triple pistol is like this....

The only unanswered question is this:

When the trigger gets gummed up from cleaning solvent, will it still re-set positively.......

By the way, I've seen Jewel's and one B&A that would not re-set from being gummed up by cleaning solvent, so this is a problem for all triggers, not just the new XP trigger AD is going to produce.

AD, I see no reason why this trigger would not make a killer position trigger........

And no particular reason it wouldn't make a killer trigger for RFBR rifles, too, especially with its upward pressure reduction feature.

Your friend, BC

DSC00248.jpg

The trigger shoe would have to have a hole in front of the over travel adjustment screw for access to the sear adjustment screw, which I didn't show in my drawing.

Last edited:
Is the three lever about to make a comeback?

CYA friends:

I was lying in bed pondering about this trigger...

It never dawned on my to use the short XP housing........which moves the pivot pin location higher on the trigger shoe/sear.

I was talking to AD about using his computer animation to figure out just how high the pivot pin could be placed, and still allow the third lever to arc it out of the way as it was resetting......

The tip of the third lever actually pushes the trigger shoe/sear out of the way as the return spring raises it to re-set the trigger.

But, by using the short XP housing the pivot pin location has already been raised......above the normal location of the 40-X/700 Rem size housing.

Then I got to wondering how that complicated trigger shoe/sear could be gotten through the hole in the bottom of the housing.....

I was thinking a slot would be needed in the bottom of the housing to accomplish this......

And then it dawned on me, AD's new trigger uses a removable side plate.......so no problem.

And something else:

On the XP trigger, the L shaped sear is "pulled" by the trigger linkage at a point "above" the pivot pin hole.

The only "fulcrum multiplication" is provided by the trigger shoe, itself, located in the front bracket that's attached to the recoil lug.

So look at the amount of fulcrum multiplication, from the tip of the trigger shoe, through the high pivot pin, to the top of the sear where the tip of the third lever rests, when the trigger is at battery!

AD, you're going to be real surprised at how light weight of pull this trigger is going to produce, because of the way the fulcrum points work out by using the short XP housing.

All triggers will fail to re-set if gummed up with cleaning solvent..

But AD, if your trigger will re-set positively, at the same level as the other triggers before failing to re-set because of gummed up solvent, and, can maintain the very light level of upward pressure against the bottom of the cocking piece........

Three lever triggers might just make a comeback in the world of competition.......all forms of competition.

Anthony, you said you're going to make up a couple of prototypes of this trigger as you're making the XP trigger, and, you said you'd send me one to examine.

I don't have any need for more rifle triggers.......

But.......

Now my curiosity it up, so yes, I'd love to examine one......

I'll say this again, I think you're going to be real surprised at how light weight of pull this trigger will have because of that short XP housing.

Your friend, BC

A couple of asides:

Three lever triggers are foolproof simplistic......there's no complicated internals....

And they've been made by a bunch of different folks throughout the years...

But, I don't ever remember seeing a rifle version, made from the short XP housing.

And I've never seen anyone's three lever trigger use anything but a clothespin style return spring.

Ralph Bond went to a coil compression spring in his three lever XP trigger..........the only coil, third lever return spring system I know of.

And now AD is using a tension return spring, which I know has never been done.

The key to this, is the lessened upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece.

If the tension spring AD is using makes for positive re-setting, and, maintains that light upward pressure.....

And by using the short XP housing, in a rifle application.....

There's a real possibility of a huge market for these triggers.

DSC00248.jpg

lLables please

Friend Bill,

For those of us totally unfamiliar with the workings of a trigger and following this thread. Could you please label trigger shoe pivot pin, L shaped sear, third lever, etc.? I'd like to understand this better. Thank you.

Your Friend Steve

Friend Az_Speed

Friend Bill,

For those of us totally unfamiliar with the workings of a trigger and following this thread. Could you please label trigger shoe pivot pin, L shaped sear, third lever, etc.? I'd like to understand this better. Thank you.

Your Friend Steve

Friend Az_Speed:

This picture doesn't show the return spring......but I marked where it belongs.

This is the picture of the XP trigger....the trigger shoe is mounted on the linkage, not shown, and is at the recoil lug.

Whereas the rifle version has the trigger shoe mounted on the actual trigger housing......

Your friend, BC

021519%20Turbo%20XP%20Trigger%20Assembly%201_1.jpg

In the rifle version, below, the trigger shoe is mounted at the housing, like all other rifle triggers....

In other words, the trigger shoe is an extension of the L shaped sear of the XP trigger.

DSC00248.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom