Pistol sandbag

Bn1

A question for those fortunate to have a bench rest pistol. What do you use to fill your grip sandbag. I have seen considerable discussion for rifle butt sandbags, but never about pistol sandbags...probably because there aren’t as many benchrest pistols (yet).

Also about what size are your sandbags?

Friend Bn1

A question for those fortunate to have a bench rest pistol. What do you use to fill your grip sandbag. I have seen considerable discussion for rifle butt sandbags, but never about pistol sandbags...probably because there aren’t as many benchrest pistols (yet).

Also about what size are your sandbags?

Friend Bn1:

I like the adverb you hung on the end of the sentence I highlighted.

If AD can get us the trigger, the second pistol revolution will come.

Sandbags for RFBR pistols:

A good question cause folks will need them soon.

By the way, when the second pistol revolution comes about, folks will use their creativity as to the best way to handle a RFBR pistol...

This is what makes benchrest shooting so fascinating.

Here's my thoughts about the sand bag:

The bag I currently use is made from half of a Lawrence 25lb shot bag.

I can get two bags from a 25lb Lawrence shot bag.

The bag needs to be made from fairly flexible material, since the bag is used for the vertical holds from top to bottom of the target, by squeezing it.

My other bag is made from the leg of a pair of work britches.

( This ain't got nothing to do with RFBR, but, every time I use the word britches I think of Larry Munson describing the Georgia Bulldogs running on the field as the "Dixie Dawgs in their silver britches".)

Anyway, about how full of sand should the bag be?

I use white silica sand.

One needs enough flexibility in the bag to cover the target from about 2 inches above it to the bottom row.

If the bag is too flexible, it will wear your hand out holding it.

I like to set my pistol up so when it is sitting solidly on the bag, the horizontal hair will be a couple of inches above the top of the target.

This means I will be squeezing the bag for every row on the target.

You do not want to get yourself in the situation where you have to force the pistol grip into the bag hard, to work on the top row.

If your horizontal hair is way above the target, you'll wear your hand out squeezing it to get to all the rows.

This is why the legs need to be adjustable....

By the way, getting good adjustable legs isn't going to be a problem.....there's some very pretty work already being done in this area.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

My bag is made from 1/2 of a Lawrence 25lb shot bag.......

About 5 inches square and filled with white silica sand.

This picture gives one an idea of how full the bag is....

It only needs enough flexibility to cover from about 2 inches above the target to the bottom of the target.

DSC00202.jpg

By the way, my legs are not adjustable, yet, but will be.....

I got lucky and have the absolute perfect length for shooting on the range here in Borden.

But I'm still going to make them adjustable....

If someone shot this pistol at Livonia the legs would have to be blocked up......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom