I apologize, but............

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
I apologize, but............

CYA friends:

I have only one goal left with my involvement in rimfire accuracy.

That's to hopefully see the masses have access to a MD-PAS triple pistol, one day soon.

So until then the subject of MD's is an interesting subject to discuss since so many folks have so much misunderstanding about what they're used for, and how they work.

Now here's where I must apologize for what I'm about to say.

CYA friends, there's more unadulterated nonsense about MD's floating around some of these Internet chat rooms than you can shake a stick at.

Again I apologize, but good gosh.

Anyway, something to ponder: ( while we're waiting for those MD-PAS triple pistols)

Muzzle movement.......

How does a 44 magnum pistol shoot so flat with the muzzle bucking as violently as it does under recoil?

I mean, we're trying to control rimfire barrel muzzle movement of maybe a thousandth or so, on a gun that doesn't buck at all, with it sitting on a rest system.

Put another way, what's the difference between the massive, violent muzzle movement of a 44 magnum pistol, and it being able to shoot as flat as it does, and the one thousandth or so movement of the muzzle we're trying to control in a RFBR gun?

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
That ridiculous compensation nonsense

That ridiculous compensation nonsense

CYA friends:

If someway a MD manipulated the muzzle of a gun barrel, so slower rounds and faster rounds struck the same elevation, say at 50 yards, then at 50 meters, without moving the MD, the rounds would no longer hit at the same elevation.

In other words, if the ridiculous compensation theory were fact, you'd have to change the MD for every different yardage shot.

Then how come:

Years ago I built Wiley and Janet Westfall a RFBR rifle.

And it was a killer.

For ten years those two killed it at the big national events, and, set several IR-50 world records, one of which was broken not too long ago.

Remember, IR-50 is shot at both 50 yards and 50 meters......

Anyway, after 10 years that fine Lilja finally wore out.

So Wiley asked me to re-barrel it.

When he sent me the gun, the MD had an old, yellowed piece of masking tape wrapped around the adjustment markings, covering them up and keeping the weight head of the HH/MD from turning.

Not only that, I couldn't get the MD off the barrel, cause it had oxidized to the steel barrel over those 10 years.

I had to make up a tool to drive the MD off the barrel.

So I called Wiley and asked him how long it'd been since he'd had the MD off the barrel.

He said he had not had it off since I shipped it to him ten years earlier, and not only that, he had never moved the adjustment a single click in all those ten years....

He said the HH/MD was at the same adjustment at which I sent it to him.

CYA friends, in those ten years of killer shooting with that rifle, using no telling how many different lots of ammo, and shooting in no telling how many different shooting conditions........

And then the biggie:

Shooting at both 50 yards and 50 meters, the MD setting had never been changed a single click, in ten years.

And they killed it at both yardages equally well, and won championships at both.

If the ridiculous compensation theory were fact, what the Westfall's did for ten years would have been impossible.

If the ridiculous idea of moving a MD for different shooting conditions was in fact, factual, the Westfall's could not have done what they did for 10 years, either.

CYA friends, the Westfall's accomplished what they did, at both 50 yards and 50 meters, in all kinds of shooting conditions, using no telling how many different lots of ammo, without ever adjusting the MD, because the muzzle was stopped on that killer rifle.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom