The psychology of winning 3-gun, especially at the big, multi day events.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
The psychology of winning 3-gun championships, especially at the big, multi day events.

CYA friends:

While we're waiting for the possibility of the masses having access to a MD-PAS triple pistol, we're discussing triggers, the World Championships and various other sundry topics, such as the psychology of winning 3-gun championships, especially at the big, multi day events.

I don't believe I've ever fired an IR-50 match.......I don't think?

But, I've made countless big national event, 3-gun winning rifles for the absolute best 3-gun shooters on the planet....

Tony K Harper and Harry Deneen come to mind, as well as a bunch of others.

And those talented shooters allowed me to understand the psychology of shooting 3-gun, even though I'd never done it myself.

The first thing they taught me is this:

There's only one winner at a big 3-gun event.

And the second thing they taught me:

The sporta class rules 3-gun.

Without a killer sporta, you ain't going to win a big 3-gun championship.

There's several reasons for this, but, the big one is psychological.

Sporta class is always fired first.

Attending a multi-day event is time consuming and expensive.

Therefore, if you don't kick out a big sporta score, psychologically you're dead for the championship.......there's only one winner.

This is why Tony and Harry, and others, like the Duck Hawk, put so much emphasis on getting a double killer sporta.

I have some more comments, but, I've got company at the back door.....

Your friend, BC

PS:

CYA friends, I have to run an errand..........

But first I want to add something before it slips my mind:

Unlike the ARA National, for example, where I always hated to see a CYankee leading after the first day........

At a big, multi-day 3-gun event, you win the sporta class and you simply set sail.........

I always loved it when a CYankee won sporta class at the big national events, cause I knew they'd be hard to deal with.

See, at a minimum you're a class winner.....

There's a completely different psychological effect between the two.

Last edited:
The sporta controls the big 3-gun events

The sporta controls the big 3-gun events

CYA friends:

One of the reasons the sporta controls the big 3-gun events, is because double killer sportas are much harder to come by than heavy class guns.

First of all, there's the weight restriction...........read barrel size limitation, compared to the flexibility of size for barrels on heavy guns.

And then the biggie:

The RFBR schmidt has to machine the muzzle stopped on a sporta........cause the muzzle device is, of course, not adjustable.

And stopping the muzzle through the machining process is much, much more difficult than simply twisting the MD of a heavy gun.

So there's simply not as many killer sportas as there are heavy guns.

I'm posting this picture of Tony Harper's sporta, TD Junior, for Anthony DiOrio.

I used this double lobe weight head configuration on Junior to make it easier to machine the muzzle stopped.

This way I can keep from having to deepen the counter bore if I remove too much material as I'm setting the MD.

Without the double lobes, if I removed too much material I'd have to deepen the counter bore and re-crown, which is tough to do.....at least for me.

DSC04622.jpg

The only drawback to this double lobe weight head, is that it works best on the Calfee 2nd generation sporta profile.

On the original Calfee sporta profile there's too much barrel weight directly behind the weight head for this double lobe configuration to work properly.

By the way, the Calfee 2nd generation sporta profile is superior to my original.......

It's much easier to machine the muzzle stopped with it, plus, it's easier to properly lap the bore, because it does not have any reverse taper to it.

Deputy Sheriff uses the 2nd gen profile, only I configured the MD differently.....

Your friend, BC

sporter fun

I wish we had discovered RFBR years before we did. When there was still sporter matches to shoot. If there were places to compete within 6 hrs of home we would start on a new rifle next week. My UL rifle would not see near as much action.
Todd

Friend TE

I wish we had discovered RFBR years before we did. When there was still sporter matches to shoot. If there were places to compete within 6 hrs of home we would start on a new rifle next week. My UL rifle would not see near as much action.
Todd

Friend TE:

If ARA would have made a "sporta" ARA target, same scoring except with a broad ring around the 10 ring, like the IR-50 target, so you could aim a 6 power scope at it, and simply adopted the IR-50, 7 1/2 pound sporta rules, the world of ARA would be shooting all kinds of sporta matches today.

Actually, the sporta ARA target could be used for unlimited too.......just like IR-50 does....

Scoring would be unchanged........the ARA sporta target would simply allow the use of a 6 power scope.

But, ARA chose to go their own way with sportas'..............and it withered on the vine.

Which is a shame, because shooting ARA with a legal, IR-50 sporta would be a blast........and a totally new experience.

Anyway, Anthony DiOrio sent me a picture of a sporta blank for me to identify.....

Your friend, BC

IMG_5649.jpg

Friend AD

Thanks Bill, I was hoping the blank was a 2nd generation.

Anthony

Friend AD:

I see you've posted that you completed the sporta...

And the really great groups......at meters.

When Mother Nature completes Her work that little thing is going to be bad......

Whomever gets that little thing is going to be tickled.

Congratulations on your first sporta build.

IMG_5649.jpg

CYA friends:

AD sent me this sporta blank to evaluate.

As it turned out, the blank was from the time period back when Shilen first started producing the Calfee 2nd Gen sporta profile.

It is ratchet rifled, and after I slugged and evaluated it, man it was so nice.....

Those first 2nd Gen's were extremely well lapped......

This one was not washed out in the breech end at all......

And a beautiful, gradual taper right up to the perfect location for the crown, right at the depth of the back bore.

I gave AD the specs for the back bore and weight head length...

It's kinda funny, cause I told him if he hit those spec's exactly this barrel was going to be a killer....

And then he said, "Bill, you've got me nervous, now".........jokingly.

I told him that it's good to be nervous, it keeps one on their toes.

Cause this 2nd Gen blank was right.

CYA friends, I'd like to have been a fly sitting on the wall in AD's shop watching him do his first sporta...

By the looks of the targets he posted, it looks like AD hit his marks perfectly.

That first run of Shilen 2nd Gen's produced some double bad sportas, and it looks like that includes this one AD just completed.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom