Theoretical question to Bill

Timo

Hi Bill!

Hypothetical question to You! Why not to others also.

If you someday find solution to RF:s kill this 0,15 " spread in RF groups to 50 yd/meters, what should you do?

Patent? Let all the world know it without any economical intrests?

Now I mean RF gun not ammo.I also mean that ammo is what it is now.

BR, Timo

Friend Timo

Hi Bill!

Hypothetical question to You! Why not to others also.

If you someday find solution to RF:s kill this 0,15 " spread in RF groups to 50 yd/meters, what should you do?

Patent? Let all the world know it without any economical intrests?

Now I mean RF gun not ammo.I also mean that ammo is what it is now.

BR, Timo

Friend Timo:

That goofy compensation theory nonsense is supposed to take care of the .150" of vertical caused by the velocity variation in the ammo we use.

But it don't.......that's why I term that goofy theory, "goofy".

I mean, it's supposed to compensate for the different velocity by magically causing the muzzle to change vertical locations to cause all rounds to strike the same elevation...

There is no such thing as "compensation".

Friend Timo, only the Divine Almighty could cause the contraption, itself, to manipulate the barrel in such a way, so as to allow the ammo we use today, with its velocity variation, to eliminate the .150" of vertical.

But no mortal human being will ever accomplish it........because it's against the laws of physics.

That's why it would take Divine Intervention.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

Friend Timo, as an optimist I hold out hope that anything is possible.........you're the same way......

But eliminating that .150" of vertical is one of the few things that even an optimist has to realize is impossible.

Only ammo with zero velocity variation will ever eliminate it.

To answer your question I highlighted in bold orange:

If someone actually invented a way to mechanically do this, it would be worth a fortune, and whoever invented it would deserve that fortune.

If I could actually, mechanically, eliminate that .150", I for sure wouldn't be living in a $7500.00 home and driving a 20 year old F-150....

Hi Bill!

I asked this because I am doing to my hobby "out of box" equipments & tests to guns & ammo.They mostly has been waste of time,but very fun.

I have patented few things to fishing equipments,but to gun sector only Reflex Supressors. I was only very little part of Reflex development.

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/general.html

If I find mechanical solution to this 0,15" spread You are the first to who I call! Dont wait call very soon-:).

BR, Timo

Friend Timo

Hi Bill!

I asked this because I am doing to my hobby "out of box" equipments & tests to guns & ammo.They mostly has been waste of time,but very fun.

I have patented few things to fishing equipments,but to gun sector only Reflex Supressors. I was only very little part of Reflex development.

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/general.html

If I find mechanical solution to this 0,15" spread You are the first to who I call! Dont wait call very soon
-:).

BR, Timo

Friend Timo:

You're always thinking...

By what means could a contraption be set up so the barrel would offset just enough vertically, to allow different velocity rounds to strike the same height at 50 yards?

And of course the thing would have to be adjustable when one went to 50 meters.

That goofy compensation theory says a MD does this now.....which is abject nonsense, cause there's never been a flat lined RFBR gun in history.

If that goofy compensation nonsense were a fact, the .150" of vertical at 50 yards, caused by the velocity variation of our ammo, would be eliminated.

Friend Timo, if you ever figure out how to eliminate that .150" of vertical, mechanically, then here's what else you'll be able to do:

The next time you're in Helsinki, and need to cross over to Estonia, just pack a couple sammiches and walk across the Gulf of Finland.....you won't need a boat.

Cause a feller that can solve this issue, will also be able to walk on water, I guarantee.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
An Idea

Hi Bill

Think about this.

Imagine a nano coating / process on the bore that had a velocity sensitive coefficient of friction.

i.e. the faster the sliding surfaces the higher the retarding force is, similar to an object moving through a fluid.

This could mean a higher velocity bullet would be caused to slow down and when it slows down the retarding force reduces.

Also a slower velocity bullet would travel down the barrel with less friction.

The net effect of this could be the bullets leave the barrel with similar velocities.

Something to ponder.

Regards
Graham

Hi Bill

Think about this.

Imagine a nano coating / process on the bore that had a velocity sensitive coefficient of friction.

i.e. the faster the sliding surfaces the higher the retarding force is, similar to an object moving through a fluid.

This could mean a higher velocity bullet would be caused to slow down and when it slows down the retarding force reduces.

The net effect of this could be the bullets leave the barrel with similar velocities.

Something to ponder.

Regards
Graham

Hi Graham,

That's interesting to ponder. If I recall right, there is something like a 20-30 fps velocity variation in a box of ammo. Could such a nano coating/process close that small of a variation in ammo?

A bore would obviously have to be lapped prior to using such a coating, would there be any negative affect on the bore from the coating? Would it change the internal finish? How would such a coating wear over time?

Interesting to ponder.

Take care,

Greg

Bill.This was good one:

"The next time you're in Helsinki, and need to cross over to Estonia, just pack a couple sammiches and walk across the Gulf of Finland.....you won't need a boat".

If I have long life, this is possible to happen.But not on the water...

Because of this:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/...by_end_2024_says_ex-angry_birds_boss/10547827

Tunnel from Helsinki to Tallinn estimated costs are 15-16 billion EUR. 16,7-17,8 billion USD.

If Bill & Timo get this money also from China, I think that we can make this 0,15 " spread much more smaller. Zero? Maybe very near inside range without any air condition.

This is ofcourse fantacy and if thisway RF cost then lets say 1 million USD / piece or so, what then? Nobody can purchase it.

I have told before of my late friend "gun fool" Pertti.T.Kekkonen (PTK). PTK has one serious project to get this RF spread down and I can say he was on something big.

We meet first time much before this Reflex Suppressor project and I can say that most of people said that PTK is crazy.I must say he was genious .

This one was serious project with Army & governmet.(To get army people and shooters hearing injures down)

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/measure.html

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/impact.html

If I ever found enough crazy gunsmith to make PTK:s idea living again, I dont steal honor of it. I tell everybody that it is PTK:s one.

BR, Timo

Last edited:
Friend Timo

Bill.This was good one:

"The next time you're in Helsinki, and need to cross over to Estonia, just pack a couple sammiches and walk across the Gulf of Finland.....you won't need a boat".

If I have long life, this is possible to happen.But not on the water...

Because of this:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/...by_end_2024_says_ex-angry_birds_boss/10547827

Tunnel from Helsinki to Tallinn estimated costs are 15-16 billion EUR. 16,7-17,8 billion USD.

If Bill & Timo get this money also from China, I think that we can make this 0,15 " spread much more smaller. Zero? Maybe very near inside range without any air condition.

This is ofcourse fantacy and if thisway RF cost then lets say 1 million USD / piece or so, what then? Nobody can purchase it.

I have told before of my late friend "gun fool" Pertti.T.Kekkonen (PTK). PTK has one serious project to get this RF spread down and I can say he was on something big.

We meet first time much before this Reflex Suppressor project and I can say that most of people said that PTK is crazy.I must say he was genious .

This one was serious project with Army & governmet.(To get army people and shooters hearing injures down)

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/measure.html

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/impact.html

If I ever found enough crazy gunsmith to make PTK:s idea living again, I dont steal honor of it. I tell everybody that it is PTK:s one.

BR, Timo

Friend Timo:

You've created a new name for folks like me, and you.

"Gun Fool"

I love it.....

Timo, if I were still building RFBR guns, I'd build one and name it "GUN FOOL".

Your friend, BC

Friend Deveng

Hi Bill

Think about this.

Something to ponder.

Regards
Graham

Friend Deveng:

The bore of a waxed, lead bullet, rimfire barrel is kinda funny.

When a round passes through it, that round is dependent, for accuracy, upon its brothers and sisters who passed through it immediately before it.

Now.............

Based on your theory of surface tension possibly evening out slight velocity differences:

I wonder if the old, well conditioned, killer rimfire barrels, that Mother Nature has done Her work on, might not do the same, to some degree, as your theory?

Your friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom