Why the muzzle was damaged on the old Broughton

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Why the muzzle was damaged on the old Broughton

CYA friends:

Awhile back, on another thread, I said I'd give my thoughts on how the muzzle got damaged on the old Broughton.

First of all, it was obvious that whomever owned that old Broughton cleaned the MD with it still on the barrel, like most folks do.

And in the process of cleaning for at least two cases of ammo, there was a circular carbon build-up on the face of the crown.

I had to use 5-0 steel wool and Hoppe's #9 to remove it.....( I wish I'd taken a picture)

Secondly, the crown, proper, was in excellent condition, no cleaning rod damage.

And there was a groove centered at exactly 6:00 at the crown.

And this groove was pitted, and rough, back into the bore for about 3/16".

OK, here's my theory as to how this place in the bore at 6:00 came into existence:

Most folks clean the MD as the last cleaning operation.

Whomever owned this old Broughton, probably had one of those MD cleaning tools with a 11 degree face on it......which is why the circular carbon pattern was on the crown face.......I've seen this a bunch of times over the years.

The tool is made to put a patch over the end, with solvent.......

My theory is, that over the years when the tool was first inserted into the MD, with a wet patch on the end of it, that some solvent got pushed into the cleaned bore.

The owner then completed the cleaning of the MD......

But, a trickle of solvent was left lying in the bore at 6:00, right at the exit of the crown.

To aggravate this situation, the cleaning was done as soon as the owner finished shooting, like most folks do, then the gun sat until the next relay.

Or until the next day, or week, depending on whether the owner was testing or at a match.

I believe that over the years the first round through the bore expelled this solvent, either wet, semi wet or dried out.......

And over the years those first rounds hitting that solvent caused the pitting to take place where it had resided.

Yes this is, of course, pure speculation.........

CYA friends:

This is the reason I always push a dry patch through the bore, after, I clean my MD.

I will say one thing, after I removed that pitted place this old Broughton lit up.....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Friend Todd Earhart

Friend Todd Earhart

TE:

Something happened to the site for awhile today......

I remember you had a post on this thread, but now it's gone.....

If you deleted it yourself, that's fine....

But if you didn't, why don't you re-post it.

Because why the muzzle of the old Broughton had that pitting at 6:00 is something that needs exploring, for all RFBR shooters.

Your friend, BC

I only clean the tuner after the last card of a match. I always do it before the bore so I know nothing is left in the bore. I would bet you are spot on what happened.
Todd

Back
Top Bottom