Raising the bar?.......maybe

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Raising the bar?.......maybe

CYA gun fool friends:

Anthony "gun fool" DiOrio started out to re-produce the Turbo RFBR action.....he was in another type of manufacturing business, not gun related.

Anyway, he's worked for several years now making his V series Turbo RFBR actions..........mass producing a product...

But lately Anthony has become as big a gun fool as me..........cause he's gotten into the Art of rimfire accuracy.......spearmenting.....trying to raise the bar of rimfire accuracy advancement....

He's building sportas.......and working on a new triple pistol, and making triggers and stocks..........along with his position rifles and action making.

And now he's come up with a new idea for firing pins....

So that gun fool has a ton of irons in the fire................

OK.......

Anthony sent me one of his new spearmental V-3 firing pins......

So I want to make a real world test with it.........and what better contraption could I do this with than my new MD-PAS pistol...

But......................................

It's based on the 10-X action..............

Well, no problem....

So here's what I did:

This first picture shows my 10-X pistol bolt, with the V-3 firing pin installed, beside the original 10-X firing pin.

Please look closely....

The Savage style extractors, of the 10-X action, protrude into the firing pin raceway of the breech bolt body, so as you can see the firing pin is relieved for them.

And you can also see, that the V-3 firing pin body is not relieved, as Turbo extractors do not protrude into the firing pin raceway in the bolt body.

Note: The picture is a little deceptive as to the overall lengths of the two pins...

I've got the 10-X pin pushed a tenth inch or so forward of the V-3 pin....in this picture..

Although the head of the firing pin of the V-3 is slightly longer than the 10-X....it's really not an issue, as the critical specs are the same.

DSC00725%20-%20Copy.jpg

So I had two choices, to relieve the V-3 pin, or, to relieve the 10-X extractors....

I chose to relieve the extractors.

DSC00727%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

Here's the V-3 firing pin installed in my 10-X based triple pistol.

DSC00728.jpg

Therefore, for any of you folks who shoot the 10-X action, and might wish to try this new V-3 pin, it most certainly can be done.

Some things:

The firing pin protrusion through the breech bolt nose counter bore is exactly the same for both pins.

The extractors will have to have a little clearance ground in them....per picture...

And..........................

You do lose about .035" of firing pin travel, so the trigger hanger will have to be moved rearward the same amount.

Although, even though my trigger linkage is adjustable, I'm going to shoot it, as is, to start with, before I go to the trouble of readjusting my hanger and linkage.

I've fired some in my bucket, and it's visually obvious I need a little more pin travel......but not at all bad.

I probably shouldn't say this, but, the most interesting part is when you pull the empties out and look at the head of the case.

This old gun fool is cited......

Rain and big wind now........or I'd be at the range....

Your gun fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

One other consideration:

I'm currently running the large Wilkinson spring in my pistol....

A coil probably should be removed from it....as the counter bore for the spring is slightly deeper in the 10-X pin...

But, I've left it full length to make up for some of the .035" pin travel I've lost.

Although, the bolt lift is still surprisingly light.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom