"Do it yourself" RFBR rifle......

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
"Do it yourself" RFBR rifle......

CYA gun fool friends:

What if you wanted to build a RFBR rifle, yourself, but, had little or no machining experience, nor, the equipment needed for such a project?

OK, how's this:

Let's say you acquire one of the new DiOrio V-3 actions......the one's I've seen were ready for a barrel, as is........

By the way, that doesn't mean they'll all be this way.......but if there were an issue, Mr DiOrio would correct it.

Or better yet, get a new V-3 action that a qualified schmidt had thoroughly evaluated.

But I've never bedded a stock, Calfee.

Then now's the time to figure out how........

So obtain a stock and bed it.........yourself.......hey, if me, BC, can do it, I guarantee you can do it.

But what about the barrel work and fitting a MD.

OK......................

What if you could obtain a quality barrel that is already threaded, chambered, crowned and been fit to a .750" tenon TCA action, that already has a MD fit to it?

Plus, the barrel has a shielded cone breech......like the picture below, so there would be no extractor issues to deal with.

DSC00713%20-%20Copy.jpg

At this point all you would need is a simple, basic barrel vise and a 12" crescent wrench for tightening the action, a headspace gauge and an assortment of spacers to place between the action face and barrel shoulder, for setting the headspace.

In other words, you could build yourself a quality RFBR rifle........and enjoy all the pride of having done it, yourself.

Your gun fool friend, Bill Calfee

Friend Todd E

Could this be a premonition of things to come?
Todd

Friend Todd E:

You can buy "drop in" barrels for the 2007-13 Anschutz, cause the barrel is clamped in place...

You can buy barrels for the 54 Anschutz that you glue in.........I can't imagine gluing a quality RFBR barrel to an action.....but that's just me.

But what if some energetic RFBR schmidt produced barrels so an individual could build a Class A RFBR rifle using one of the good, threaded RFBR actions?

There's a deep sense of pride in building your own rifle........and ten fold if you win with it.

If someone produced chambered, crowned and shielded cone breech barrels, that were threaded a few thousandths longer than some of the current RFBR actions, then supplied a set of spacers and maybe even a HS gauge, they would stay real busy...

This could be done.....

One would need three different tenon lengths with .750" diameter threads...

And lets say each length was produced .025" longer than the average spec for each length...

Examples:

For Falcons...... 1.275" tenon length...

For older 10-X actions....... 1.175" tenon length...

For all DiOrio, E-Turbo and the late 10-X and Stiller actions........1.025" tenon length.

Hall actions use a .750" X 18 TPI tenon........ so could be special ordered.

There's some other actions that are threaded, like the ones that use the giant Remington thread pattern, both in 16 and 18 pitch threads...

But in the case of the Swindlehurst, which uses a semi-rebated chamber opening, this wouldn't be a good idea....

The person who furnished these barrels could also furnish a HH/MD installed.........Harrell's and KSS will bore them, too.....

In other words, an individual without any machine tools could build a good quality RFBR gun, some may even turn out to be Class A examples.

This could be done......

Your friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom