Barrel muzzle choke

Timo

Bill!

We have here in Finland word "krymppaus".It means that gunsmith makes choke to rifle barrels muzzle.

Have you made this and if you have I am interested to hear your results.

To our old gunsmiths it was normal work,but to younger I think it is too "dirty" job-:).

Old smiths has little differences their own measurements/working methods and depends little of barrel steel,but basic was/is like this:

They run in lathe barrel muzzle outside diameter to about 0,59 " thickness, 0,75-1,0 " lenght.

Made bushing about 0,0012-0,002 smaller inside than 0,59".

Put barrel to deep freezer and heat this bushing 250-300 degrees C or over and put bushing to barrel muzzle.

I think you use word "washed out" and it is/was problem especially with hammer forget barrels.

But many times this method made also with cut rifling and button rifled barrels to better accuracy.

This came my mind when I read your reamer to freezer text.

BR, Timo

Friend gun fool Timo

Bill!

We have here in Finland word "krymppaus".It means that gunsmith makes choke to rifle barrels muzzle.

Have you made this and if you have I am interested to hear your results.

To our old gunsmiths it was normal work,but to younger I think it is too "dirty" job-:).

Old smiths has little differences their own measurements/working methods and depends little of barrel steel,but basic was/is like this:

They run in lathe barrel muzzle outside diameter to about 0,59 " thickness, 0,75-1,0 " lenght.

Made bushing about 0,0012-0,002 smaller inside than 0,59".

Put barrel to deep freezer and heat this bushing 250-300 degrees C or over and put bushing to barrel muzzle.

I think you use word "washed out" and it is/was problem especially with hammer forget barrels.

But many times this method made also with cut rifling and button rifled barrels to better accuracy.

This came my mind when I read your reamer to freezer text.

BR, Timo

Friend gun fool Timo:

I've tried to mechanically induce choke in barrels without much success.

Timo, every shooter in RFBR today has the opportunity to mechanically induce choke in the muzzle of their barrel.

Just over tighten the MD.

Actually, one doesn't have to over tighten a MD much to actually restrict the bore.

As a matter of fact, it's difficult to tighten a MD enough to keep it on the barrel, without restricting the bore.

This is why I try to fit MD's with a gauge fit.........although not always completely successful.

The perfect MD to barrel fit, is when you can slip the MD on, and without tightening the clamp screws you can turn the barrel muzzle down and the MD will stay on the barrel...........this is what I mean by a gauge fit.

Timo, you're always thinking........

This is why you're a gun fool, like me.

Your gun fool friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom