I've decided to post the IR-50 target, now....

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
I've decided to post the IR-50 target, now....

CYA friends:

I'm not going to keep you in suspense.......I'm going to post the IR card I kicked out yesterday while fooling with a 6 power scope on my new MD-PAS pistol..

Along with some comments about sporta shooting with a 6 power scope......by which I got a surprise yesterday.

Here's the card.......I took this picture though my 24 power spotting scope.......

I left the target on the stand last evening, so I'll take a better picture of it today...

DSC00925 - Copy.jpg

If you notice, there's no shots high........none.....

The whole card I was favoring the black circle slightly toward 10 O:clock .....except on the four or five I got burnt on....

Here's some comments about my first "serious attempt" to shoot a IR card with a 6 power scope.

After I corrected the parallax, I grabbed a box of Eley black from the odds and ends behind my truck seat.....just to sight-in with.

I bore sighted the scope, then shot a couple rounds off to the side of the target, then started fine tuning the scope on the three sighters at the top of the card...

This old scope has 1/4" clicks, or more, cause I never could make the bullets hit behind the cross hairs......

I was always a click high, or, a click low........same for windage...

So I decided to live with it.......didn't have any choice....and just try to hold off

By the way, the upper left sighter has my last two rounds in it, yes there's two shots in that hole...

I was holding high and slightly left......

So I started shooting the record bulls....

It was windy and I watched the streamer in the woods.......

And I got burnt four or five times............by the way, I used the rest of the box of my sighting-in black Eley.....

Now, about the surprise I got......

First of all, I was lucky I had my spotting scope with me, cause you can't see the bullet holes with the 6 power.....at least I couldn't..

But what blew my mind was, how easy it was to shoot the 6 power.........

CYA friends, after only one "serious" afternoon of shooting with a sporta 6 power, I can't really tell much difference in the ability to kill it....

A 6 power scope is not really a handicap to killer rimfire accuracy shooting.

It blew my mind........

Here's the one difference I noticed between this 6 power and my 45 comp:

It's more difficult to make accurate hold offs........

Cause I got burnt four or five times trying to manage a condition.........and every time I overcompensated.....

I mean, it blew my mind how easy it is to shoot a 6 power........

Not at all what I expected...

And even with the old K-6 Weaver......it would be even easier with the modern 6 power scopes we have today..

I'm headed back to the range to take advantage of another 60 degree day here in February.

Your friend, BC

I'm glad I had my spotting scope, or I'd had to run back home and get it......

DSC00917.jpg

These little pistols are the most fun to shoot RFBR guns ever created by the hand of man.....

Last edited:
We shot yesterday and it was tough conditions. Id say conditions were about the same for you and us for no more distance as it is between us. I had my sporter out to shoot but could not get it set up in a one piece rest. We sold all of our two piece rest a while back. I was disappointed because a sporter is my favorite to shoot. By far the hardest thing about 6x is hold off in conditions. Its so much fun though. Its great to send a shot and lean ouer to look through the spotting scope to see a dot knocked out. Id say your card was very good for conditions you was in.
Todd

Friend TE

We shot yesterday and it was tough conditions. Id say conditions were about the same for you and us for no more distance as it is between us. I had my sporter out to shoot but could not get it set up in a one piece rest. We sold all of our two piece rest a while back. I was disappointed because a sporter is my favorite to shoot. By far the hardest thing about 6x is hold off in conditions. Its so much fun though. Its great to send a shot and lean ouer to look through the spotting scope to see a dot knocked out. Id say your card was very good for conditions you was in.
Todd

Friend TE:

It was 70 plus degrees today, but terrible wind........so I didn't shoot again.

Supposed to be 60 tomorrow, so I may get to shoot again then.....

You're right....

It is fun to shoot a bull then look through the spotting scope........

I agree with you, from my very limited experience shooting the IR card with a 6 power scope, making hold offs is the biggest challenge....

And it didn't help that I didn't have a good still air zero........need 1/8 minute clicks.......which the old K-6 Weaver doesn't have.

As a matter of fact, I don't believe the clicks are even as small as 1/4 minute.....more like a half minute......????

I did take a close-up of the target.......the bottom two rows killed me.......four 9's low......all in the same place.

But look how flat the top three rows are......

Shooting a 6 power scope isn't really much of a handicap, especially in calm or indoors, and with a 6 power scope capable of allowing the gun to have a good still air zero.

But it most certainly is harder to make accurate hold-offs in conditions.

Especially without having a good still air zero......

I'm pointing to where I was having to hold.....

DSC00926.jpg

When I took this picture I tried to put the cross hairs where I had to hold to hit the dot......out toward 10 o:clock..

It's double tough to calculate hold-offs while having to hold off the dot at the same time, especially when one isn't any better of a condition shooter, as myself...

DSC00915 - Copy.JPG

Friend TE, I can't wait till the masses have access to these little pistols......

There's really nothing else like them...

DSC00920.jpg

Your gun fool friend, BC

PS:

If you notice my ejector, secondary extractor, leaves the empties on the bench top....

So yesterday I re-worked it......

And now the ejector kicks the empties off the bench top....

This pistol, using the 10-X action, has the Savage style extractors.....

I'll have to take a picture and show you folks how I altered the secondary extractor to make it kick the empties farther away from the loading port.....

It's really a simple fix......and easy to do...

Last edited:
It's the contraption

It's the contraption

CYA friends:

The barrel I've got on my new MD-PAS triple pistol is not capable of producing accuracy like I'm getting...

The contraption, itself, is carrying this barrel....

Look how flat this contraption is...

DSC00926 - Copy (2).jpg

We must have these pistols for the masses.......................

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom