Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Do we need a professional barrel lapper in RFBR today?

  1. #1

    Do we need a professional barrel lapper in RFBR today?

    Do we need a professional barrel lapper in RFBR today?


    CYA friends:


    Had an interesting conversation.....


    A shooter wanted to know if Jeff Patterson would consider lapping a barrel, if, this shooter could get an unlapped blank from the barrel maker.


    Or, would I consider lapping an unlapped blank, for this shooter?


    Actually, this is the second conversation I've had in the past few days about this same subject....



    First...................


    I'm not doing any type of RFBR schmidt work......haven't been in years.


    As far as Jeff lapping a barrel for this shooter?


    That's strictly up to Jeff...


    Your friend, Bill Calfee


    __________________________________________________ _______



    PS:


    CYA friends:


    Do we need a professional barrel lapper in RFBR today?


    One who does nothing but taper lap RFBR barrels?



    In my opinion, desperately!



    Name:  DSC00449 - Copy.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  99.5 KB

  2. #2
    One who has a proven track record and can do it and will do it without a year backup. Yep we need that. They could do well but I understand it's a hard job not a lot of people are willing to do. Maybe we get the barrel and send it to China. They'll do it. Question is can they be good at it? It's something we've never had and suspect we never will. There are people good or were good at it but not professionals. Right now there's probably only one maybe two that can do a good consistent job.

  3. #3

    Friend Gingersnap

    Quote Originally Posted by wsmallwood View Post
    One who has a proven track record and can do it and will do it without a year backup. Yep we need that. They could do well but I understand it's a hard job not a lot of people are willing to do. Maybe we get the barrel and send it to China. They'll do it. Question is can they be good at it? It's something we've never had and suspect we never will. There are people good or were good at it but not professionals. Right now there's probably only one maybe two that can do a good consistent job.

    _____________________________________________



    Friend Gingersnap:


    Your comment in bold orange:



    Wally, if you could have any unlapped barrel blank you wanted, from any RFBR barrel maker....


    And......................


    You wanted it taper lapped so as to give it the absolute best chance of being a double bad killler............


    Who would you want to taper lap it?



    Your friend, BC

  4. #4
    You know who, which is why I said one or two. One claims to be retired. The other would be Jeff Patterson.

  5. #5
    Bill!

    Writing and smiling now.

    Business idea to You! Go to nearest body building club and open there new "machine"--> Barrel lapping pump.

    Companys business concept: Your brains and their muscles.They paid you XX USD/hour when they same time are growing their muscles.

    Seriously: High quality lapping knowledge was here going to the"grave" and we tried to collect every knowledge of lapping what we can find with our "RF accuracy Team".

    Took lapping course from barrel maker Mr Mäkinen etc. Nobody of us got there perfect lapping skills but we got lot of knowledge common mistakes etc.

    Now everybody of us can learn more by lapping them selves and time will tell can we hold on this handiwork skill.

    BR, Timo
    Last edited by Timo; 03-24-2020 at 03:22 AM.

  6. #6
    In 2008-2010 or so Shilen produced fairly consistently lapped barrels, but now it's no nearly as consistent. There are still some good ones but there are some bad ones. Probably depends on who was lapping that day or if they felt good, etc.

    The same is true of other barrel makers, at least those that do lap, some are good and some are not. Again probably depends on who is doing it that day. So there is no professional lapper. I don't think there ever has been or will be but that doesn't mean everybody can't do it. Most good gunsmiths can perform some lapping but most don't want to lap an entire barrel for various reasons. I have two rifles with fully hand lapped barrels that I'm sure are hand lapped. Two others are supposed to be. They all shoot well but the two I knw are better and it's not a psychological thing because I had to actually sit down and think why I gravitate towards those two rifles. Different barrels and different brand actions but both fully hand lapped and I know that.

    I've never done it. I figure I would just destroy the barrel and right now I don't have one to just destroy. At any rate I've heard it is a very tiring and difficult operation. So, I can see the two big issues. 1. They have to cost more. 2. People don't want to pay more at least in general.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmallwood View Post
    You know who, which is why I said one or two. One claims to be retired. The other would be Jeff Patterson.
    Wally,

    That ain't no claim. It is true, you know it. Can't get that old (but younger than he thinks) man to do anything. He has all but declared himself dead.

    Hell, there is still 15 maybe 20 killer rifles in that man if we could just get him to do them.

    When a man has that kind of talent he owes it to the rest of us to share it. Yea, yea I know, he don't have to, and his life will be just as comfortable.

    There isn't a lot of money in these guns, but it is such a waste. I hate to think we will never see another Duke of Earl, Black Death, Ginger Snap, and many, many others.

    OK, I've probably said too much.

    TKH

  8. #8

    Thank you for the kind words.....all of you.

    Thank you for the kind words.....all of you.


    All of you guys, thank you...


    Now........................


    I've got to get my garbage set out, and check the mail box, and do the other chores I do before I sack out for the evening.


    But......................



    Tomorrow, or soon, since we're talking about lapping............


    I'm going to talk about a barrel, that in my humble opinion, is the yardstick to measure all other barrels by, from the lapping standpoint.


    I taper lapped this barrel from an unlapped blank furnished by the barrel maker.


    TDX


    The Muller 4-MI on TDX, is the "perfect" example of what barrel makers, and lappers, should strive for in a killer RFBR barrel.




    Name:  DSC05229 - Copy.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  21.2 KB


    More tomorrow.....


    Your friend, Bill Calfee
    \

    __________________________


    PS:


    TDX, when you have time, and if you don't mind, could you give us a rough idea of all the Big National event wins you've had with TDX?


    I know you've had at least 7 or 8 PSL Championships, alone....


    And St Louis ARA Outdoor Nationals...( and Indoor too, maybe )


    And the various IR-50 Big National Events that you and TDX have won.....

    OK........bc
    Last edited by Bill Calfee; 03-24-2020 at 10:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calfee View Post
    Thank you for the kind words.....all of you.


    All of you guys, thank you...


    Now........................


    I've got to get my garbage set out, and check the mail box, and do the other chores I do before I sack out for the evening.


    But......................



    Tomorrow, or soon, since we're talking about lapping............


    I'm going to talk about a barrel, that in my humble opinion, is the yardstick to measure all other barrels by, from the lapping standpoint.


    I taper lapped this barrel from an unlapped blank furnished by the barrel maker.


    TDX


    The Muller 4-MI on TDX, is the "perfect" example of what barrel makers, and lappers, should strive for in a killer RFBR barrel.




    Name:  DSC05229 - Copy.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  21.2 KB


    More tomorrow.....


    Your friend, Bill Calfee
    \

    __________________________


    PS:


    TDX, when you have time, and if you don't mind, could you give us a rough idea of all the Big National event wins you've had with TDX?


    I know you've had at least 7 or 8 PSL Championships, alone....


    And St Louis ARA Outdoor Nationals...( and Indoor too, maybe )


    And the various IR-50 Big National Events that you and TDX have won.....

    OK........bc
    Bill,

    I've never tried to count the National titles I've won with TDX. I know one out door, and one indoor ARA Nationals were with TDX, the others were with Tack Driver.

    TDX has been my 10.5 and 13.5 lbs. rifles for IR 50/50 three gun. I know I've won at least three 6-Gun Nationals, but I'm not sure how many three gun (yards/meters) Nationals.

    I've also won some unlimited Nationals both indoor and outdoor but I don't have an accurate count.

    There was a time I planned my objectives each year. When those were achieved some of the fire came out of me.

    There has been many rifles that has put in individual performances that far exceed anything I've done with TDX, but I don't think any rifle has ever won as many different national, regional, and state titles as TDX.

    If you look at the IR 50/50 Hall of Fame (www.ir5050.com/hall-of-fame/)

    and the ARA Hall of fame

    www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/hof

    http://www.americanrimfire.com/index...imited_outdoor

    TDX earned most of those points for me.

    I guess this is going to come across as bragging and I don't mean this that way, but I am extremely proud of what you and TDX have allowed me to accomplish.

    TKH
    Last edited by Tony K Harper; 03-24-2020 at 11:26 PM.

  10. #10
    "I guess this is going to come across as bragging and I don't mean this that way, but I am extremely proud of what you and TDX have allowed me to accomplish. "

    Tony, it did not come across as bragging at all. You stated the facts.......humbly.

    Take care,

    Greg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •