A SAP verses MD-PAS story from 2013'

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
A SAP verses MD-PAS story from 2013

CYA gun fool friends:

On the "OPEN" forum here at CYA, member Geo is exploring the differences between MD-PAS and SAP ignition.

Tony "TDX" Harper, a few hours ago, posted some advice to friend Geo.

You can go there and read TDX's advice for friend Geo, as friend Geo explores the differences between SAP and MD-PAS ignition......

I'm posting this story here to keep from interfering with Geo and Tony's conversation....

Anyway...................

Here's a story from 2013, involving Tony and a new SAP build....

Before I start, here's a picture of my slave Falcon that I cut the barrel tenon length back from 1.250" to Turbo length of one inch.....so I could test Turbo tenoned barrels...

And by the way, I converted this slave Falcon to MD-PAS ignition...

So it's really a Turbo with Falcon written on the side...

You can see the Falcon logo in this picture.

Falcon octagon with Turbo length barrel tenon.jpg

Now................

The story from 2013':

Tony sent me a new SAP build in October of 13', and requested me to evaluate it...

When it arrived, I'm not going to mention what SAP action it was built on, I examined it carefully.

It carried a Muller 4-MI barrel, and was in a beautiful Pippin straight line...

Whoever built it, did a wonderful job..

So here's what I did:

I removed the extractors from the breech bolt, then put the barreled action in my old #1 slave stock.

I did this because, I was going to test this barrel in my MD-PAS Falcon, later, and the extractor cuts in the barrel were angled, and the extractor cuts for the Falcon are 180 degrees apart..

Plus..................

I wanted to test in my old #1 slave stock to keep possible bedding issues from skewing the comparison, when I tested this barrel in my MD-PAS Falcon, which I did in my old #1 slave stock, too.

So I first tested Tony's new SAP build in my slave stock, without extractors....

And it shot good......not killer, but it kinda nibbled around the edges .....

A lot of RFBR folks would be tickled with it......but not TDX.

Then I removed the barrel from this SAP action and fit it to my MD-PAS Falcon....

Same #1 slave stock, and no extractors........

Ammo the same, scope the same, everything the same except the action...

I then tested this Muller barrel in my slave MD-PAS Falcon and it simply killed it.

I'm going to cut to the chase:

If this offends any of our SAP ignition friends, I apologize, OK.

I put Tony's new SAP build back together, and shipped it back to him...

With this note.....and TDX will vouch for this............

I said:

"Tony, this Muller barrel is killer, I recommend you get if off this SAP action and put it on an action that will showcase its potential"...

And he did........he finally wound up getting rid of the SAP action...

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom