Thread: Rear entry action wrenches are a non-starter in the world of RFBR accuracy

Rear entry action wrenches are a non-starter in the world of RFBR accuracy

Rear entry action wrenches are a non-starter in the world of RFBR accuracy.

CYA friends:

Unless you're fooling with a glue-in, the last thing you want to do is use a rear entry action wrench that applies torque to the tang of your action, when you remove or reinstall your barrel......

Name:  DSC01221 - Copy.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  60.4 KB

You can not apply torque to the tang of your action without taking the chance of screwing up your locking lug contact..

CYA friends:

As goofy as it sounds, there's a $13.00 fix to guarantee you'll never screw up your locking lug contact when you remove and reinstall the barrel on your valuable RFBR gun.

Name:  Harbor freight  12,99.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  29.2 KB

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

If you're using a glue-in

If you're using a glue-in

CYA gun fool friends:

The only reason to ever use a rear entry action wrench, is if you're using a glue-in.

And then the only, safe, rear entry style of action wrench is something like I devised 20 years ago, one that does not place torque on the tang of your action.

Name:  DSC01218.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  DSC01215.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  70.7 KB

Otherwise.............................

If you do not shoot a glue-in, the safest, and most foolproof action wrench, is simply a 12 inch crescent wrench and a couple of thin strips of aluminum....

As goofy as that must sound to some folks, there is no better, or safer way, to remove or install the barrel on your valuable RFBR gun....

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

PS:

I didn't even use rear entry action wrenches back in my centerfire days, except on the Hall actions, which have a breech bolt that has the same diameter as the locking lugs, so required a rear entry wrench.

I've used this same 12 inch wrench ever since Flash Ebert brought out his Turbo action 23 years ago...

Because it's simply foolproof safe........and it fits all RFBR actions......

And talk about cheap, someone gave me this one years ago.....

Name:  DSC01209.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  102.6 KB