Foster, you lucky dog!

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Foster, you lucky dog!

Foster, you lucky dog:

Foster, 99% of the world of big time RFBR ain't never seen one of these things.....

And you now own one!

And it's "perfect".............

I catch it at .22165" at the muzzle....and extremely uniform groove to groove.

And the lapping is "dream time".......

At 24 1/2 inches, then back to the breech end, it has that "perfect" release........

I could lap for a week and could not duplicate this....

AND THE BREECH END OF THE BORE IS PRISTINE..................

Foster, you lucky dog!

Your jealous gun fool friend, Bill Calfee ( You lucky dog)

PS:

Pardon my English, OK.

Somebody worked their ass off producing this thing...............

Foster: I'll give you $500.00 for this thing......today.....cause I'd love to put it on my new MD-PAS pistol...bc

Last edited:
If they were all like this one....

If they were all like this one....

CYA gun fool friends:

Can I really tell how a barrel is going to perform, before it's shot, by slugging and evaluating it?

Oh yes.

The only thing I can not determine is the uniformity of the twist rate.

If the twist rate of this new barrel of Foster's is uniform, and, it gets properly fit, it's going to simply kill it.

To Dan Muller and Paul Tolvstad:

I tell it like it is.......always have, even if it sometimes skewers some sacred cows, including at times some of mine.

I've been most critical of barrel lapping, by all RFBR barrel makers, in two areas:

1. Taper lapping that does not produce a "gradual" taper from breech to muzzle.....

2. Taper lapping that washes out the breech end of the bore.

Dan and Paul, if every barrel you guys produced were like this thing you made for Foster, nobody but you guys would be making RFBR barrels.

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

PS:

CYA friends, what makes this particular barrel even more impressive, is that it has the enlarged breech end for the giant thread pattern of the XP action.

And properly taper lapping a button rifled barrel with that giant breech end, without washing out the breech end of the bore, is five times more difficult to accomplish than lapping a straight profile blank....

This is why we use straight profile blanks in RFBR, and why we went away from those giant, centerfire size barrel threads years ago.

Yet, even having the giant breech end, this thing is not washed out in the breech end of the bore...

Paul and Dan, I don't know which one of you taper lapped this beautiful blank......

I just want you guys to know how impressed I am, cause I fully understand the difficulty of taper lapping blanks with the giant breech, without washing out the breech end of the bore.........

8 groove

I did the lapping on that barrel. Dan rarely laps any rimfires anymore he's just to busy with centerfire barrels.

Hopefully it shoots as good as it lapped. It didn't fight me at all during the lapping.

Friend PT

I did the lapping on that barrel. Dan rarely laps any rimfires anymore he's just to busy with centerfire barrels.

Hopefully it shoots as good as it lapped. It didn't fight me at all during the lapping

Friend PT:

You did good.

If it gets fit properly, and the twist rate is uniform, it will be a killer!

PT, I like the way you contoured the step down from the big breech end to the straight profiled section...

You didn't have to do this......but Foster will appreciate it, I guarantee...

DSC01223.jpg

Paul, the corrugated 8 is the "RFBR barrel of the future" of rimfire accuracy advancement.

I've never seen one with the breech end of the bore washed out....

Your friend, BC

PS:

Paul, I can't imagine taper lapping RFBR barrels for a living....

If you can someway taper lap every barrel like you did this one for Foster, nobody but you will be lapping RFBR barrels.....

Cause the corrugated 8, with you doing the lapping, will totally dominate big time RFBR.

Last edited:
The things that impress me.....

The things that impress me.....

CYA friends:

I believe the things that impress me the most are the things I know I couldn't do, even if I tried with all of my ability.

CYA friends, if I take my time, I believe I can taper lap a RFBR barrel as good, or better, than anyone on the face of the planet.

I'm just too lazy to do it.........without some unique inspiration.....( like lapping a barrel for a new DiOrio V-3XP pistol, maybe...)

This corrugated 8 that Paul taper lapped for Foster, is lapped so fine, that if I worked hard for a week the best I could possibly hope to do, would be to tie Paul's lapping job....

It would be impossible for me to better it.

DSC01224.jpg

Now....................

This piece of Paul's RFBR art still has to be fit properly....and the uniformity of twist must be correct....

If these two things are proper, this thing will be a killer....

Oh...Oh......something else.....

Is all this talk about this fine corrugated 8 putting pressure on Foster?

Well of course it is........

But he can handle it........

See, I admire Foster so much because he's going against the grain, by shooting a pistol.

I have no doubt if this barrel turns out as good as it evaluates, one day Foster will have a "Girl with a pistol moment".

Buck Creek 7/7/18----Top Ten

( Look at some of the names the "Girl with a pistol" beat that day)

1. Mary Stark 2100 2450 2200 2200 2200 2300-- 13450

2. Greg Monroe-- 13250

3. Donald Hamblin -- 13200

4. Wallace Smallwood -- 13025

5. Tad Earhart -- 12950

6. Carrie Earhart -- 12550

7. Foster Arvin -- 12550

8. Scott Reid -- 12325

9. Todd Earhart -- 12025

10.Sydney Combs -- 9655

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

Back