Thread: Friend Paul Tolvstad

Friend Paul Tolvstad

Friend Paul Tolvstad

Friend Paul Tolvstad:

I fooled a little more yesterday with this corrugated 8 you made for Foster...

Taper lapping a RFBR barrel, or straight lapping any target quality barrel for that matter, is something the general shooting public can't possibly understand the difficulty of doing....

Before I got into lapping I didn't understand the "artistic labor" that's involved in lapping a bore........and taper lapping a rimfire bore magnifies the "artistic labor" required to do it correctly.

Paul, here's what I'm telling you this:

I do understand the "artistic labor" that's required to properly taper lap a RFBR bore.

This corrugated 8 you did for Foster may not shoot in a bucket.......

But..............

If it doesn't, it's because it was incorrectly fit, or, the twist rate is messed up.

Because this thing is about as perfect as possible, otherwise.

BC knows what you went through to do this........

You gave a little away when you said the thing didn't fight you....

I know exactly what you meant.

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

Name:  DSC01224.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  103.3 KB

PS:

Something else I fully understand and appreciate about this barrel:

When you reduce the diameter, sharply, from 1.150" down to .800", a step is created in the bore of a button rifled barrel....

And the bad part is, this leaves the 1.150" section restricted, tighter, than the rest of the bore...

Paul, I want you to know that I fully appreciate how you removed that restriction, then taper lapped the entire bore, and kept from washing out the breech end....

That my friend is extremely difficult to do, without washing out the breech end...

One other point for CYA folks:

It matters not whether the barrel is stepped down quickly, like this one, or, it's stepped down with a long, gradual taper from the enlarged breech end to the muzzle...like a #5 contour for example...

The bore is still restricted at the enlarged breech end either way....

This is why the world of RFBR did away with actions using the giant, centerfire barrel thread years ago....

So we don't have to fight the lapping difficulty involved with barrels with an enlarged breech end.

Straight profiled barrels are so much easier to taper lap properly, which results in a greater percentage of killers.
    Last edited by Bill Calfee; 1 Week Ago at 02:12 PM.