Why didn't I think of that?...Well, I just did.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Why didn't I think of that?...Well, I just did.

CYA gun fool friends:

There's so much, pardon me, horse manure floating around the Internet about how a muzzle device works that, no wonder so many folks are totally confused......

Enough of that.......

The muzzle of a gun barrel is stopped when the exact center of the "parallel node" is at the exit of the crown.

But.................

The parallel node has a working length........

One can have killer accuracy so long as you remain inside this working length..

But, if you don't have the exact center of the parallel node at the exit of the crown, when you have an excessive velocity round you step out of that protective length and receive a double whammy..............

The double whammy being, the vertical dispersion at the target by the excessive velocity round, plus, a now oscillating muzzle.

Therefore..............................

How does one determine if they have the "exact center" of the "parallel node" at the exit of their crown?

In other words, having their muzzle stopped.

CYA friends............

After all these years, and after devising a couple of different methods of how to determine if I had my muzzle stopped.....

Today I finally figured out how......................

Why in the name of the Almighty didn't I see this before today.....................??????

And I invented the muzzle device almost 30 years ago..............

DSC01227 - Copy (4) - Copy - Copy.jpg

This contraption pictured above, with its Muller 4-MI barrel, that I killed with a stainless cleaning rod a few years back, is so unbelievably accurate, that it's allowed me to finally figure out how to determine when I have the "exact center" of the "parallel node" at the exit of the crown............with my MD setting.........

I feel like a bumbling fool for not seeing this years ago................

I've got to do some pondering as to how I go about revealing this information......

Your gun fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

Friend TDX:

No, as absolute killer as the contraption in the above picture is, it won't run with what you've got....

index - Copy.jpg

I did a little doodling this morning........and dreaming.......bc

DSC01227 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Jimmy Jack

Jimmy Jack

CYA gun fool friends:

I like the name Jimmy Jack.

DSC01227 - Copy.jpg

"But Calfee, I thought you were building THE VIRGINIAN, SPEC 10."

CYA friends, I've racked my old brain trying to figure out how to put "Calfee SPEC quality action graphics" on this 10-X action, with the serial number and the 10-X logo down the side of the action.................

I mean, good grief, why did 10-X have to mess up that beautiful blank canvas?

I mean, there's plenty of room for their logo and the serial number on the loading port side of the action.

Like Turbo does it.

No, this build isn't going to be SPEC 10, THE VIRGINIAN......

But it may be "Jimmy Jack".................oh yes....

I like that name, Jimmy Jack.........

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee.

PS:

Thinking out loud.....

CYA friends, if I ever decide to finish JIMMY JACK and sell it..........

I will only sell it to a RFBR competitor who has won either the ARA Indoor or Outdoor Nationals, or, a PSL Championship...........

I'm sorry CYA friends, but, I'm too old to take the chance of putting this piece of art in the hands of someone that might not be able to showcase it properly.

I'm sorry...

Last edited:
Why not an IR-50 Nationals Champion?

CYA gun fool friends:

In my previous post I said if I ever finish JIMMY JACK and put him up for sale, that I'd only sell him to someone who had won an ARA Indoor or Outdoor Nationals, or, a PSL Championship.

Someone just asked why I didn't include IR-50 Nationals Champions, too.

Hopefully without offending IR-50 shooters.......here's why:

How many times have we seen IR-50 Nationals winners, with the 2nd or 3rd or forth place finishers with 5 to 10, or more, X's?

But...........................

After thinking about it, I've decided to add an addendum to my list:

Besides ARA Indoor and Outdoor Nationals, and PSL Championship winners, I'm going to add IR-50 Unlimited Indoor and Outdoor Nationals winners, who, also had the highest X count.

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

DSC01227 - Copy.jpg

PS:

All of this is dependent on me actually finishing JIMMY JACK....

Right now I'm in the process of evaluating this Muller 4-MI that's on him....

This is a new barrel that I ruined with a stainless cleaning rod some years ago....

I shortened it to 24 inches, then re-chambered it, with not one of my best chambers, I'll be frank, and just never could get my arms wrapped around it, so it sat on my shelf for some years...

Then I decided to fit it to my 10-X slave.....

In the process I increased the leade engraving to .155"...

I really had no great expectations when I went to the range to test it....

But man, what a shock......I mean, the thing seems to want to kill it.......at least with the Lapua Big Dog gave me.

So.................

I'm trying to determine if this barrel is worthy of being on JIMMY JACK.

It hard for me to get comfortable with the idea of building a full-on, Class A RFBR gun without one of my "perfect" chambers.

So I don't know exactly what to do.....

CYA gun fool friends:

In my previous post I said if I ever finish JIMMY JACK and put him up for sale, that I'd only sell him to someone who had won an ARA Indoor or Outdoor Nationals, or, a PSL Championship.

Someone just asked why I didn't include IR-50 Nationals Champions, too.

Hopefully without offending IR-50 shooters.......here's why:

How many times have we seen IR-50 Nationals winners, with the 2nd or 3rd or forth place finishers with 5 to 10, or more, X's?

But...........................

After thinking about it, I've decided to add an addendum to my list:

Besides ARA Indoor and Outdoor Nationals, and PSL Championship winners, I'm going to add IR-50 Unlimited Indoor and Outdoor Nationals winners, who, also had the highest X count.

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

View attachment 2240

PS:

All of this is dependent on me actually finishing JIMMY JACK....

Right now I'm in the process of evaluating this Muller 4-MI that's on him....

This is a new barrel that I ruined with a stainless cleaning rod some years ago....

I shortened it to 24 inches, then re-chambered it, with not one of my best chambers, I'll be frank, and just never could get my arms wrapped around it, so it sat on my shelf for some years...

Then I decided to fit it to my 10-X slave.....

In the process I increased the leade engraving to .155"...

I really had no great expectations when I went to the range to test it....

But man, what a shock......I mean, the thing seems to want to kill it.......at least with the Lapua Big Dog gave me.

So.................

I'm trying to determine if this barrel is worthy of being on JIMMY JACK.

It hard for me to get comfortable with the idea of building a full-on, Class A RFBR gun without one of my "perfect" chambers.

So I don't know exactly what to do.....

Bill,

You are exactly right. Most of us know by now that the IR 50/50 target isn't a pure accuracy target.

The old argument about a 250 10X beating a 249 24X card.

Not too long ago we had kind of a debate over changing the scoring of the IR 50/50 target to add an extra point for each X. That was known as 275 scoring.

The prevailing opinion was that the target was never intended to be for pure accuracy.

People thought if it was for pure accuracy the game would die.

Reason being no one likes to loose to the same guy at a local club forever.

With the target as it is everyone has a better chance to win at least sometimes.

In an effort to create a pure accuracy target for IR 50/50 Wayne Wills came up with the 10 shot scoring system.

10 shot scoring is pure accuracy to the max. So much so, some make the argument that the target is so hard you have to be lucky to get a good score.

I guess it kinda proves you can't make everyone happy.

TKH

Friend TDX

Bill,

You are exactly right. Most of us know by now that the IR 50/50 target isn't a pure accuracy target.

The old argument about a 250 10X beating a 249 24X card.

Not too long ago we had kind of a debate over changing the scoring of the IR 50/50 target to add an extra point for each X. That was known as 275 scoring.

The prevailing opinion was that the target was never intended to be for pure accuracy.

People thought if it was for pure accuracy the game would die.

Reason being no one likes to loose to the same guy at a local club forever.

With the target as it is everyone has a better chance to win at least sometimes.

In an effort to create a pure accuracy target for IR 50/50 Wayne Wills came up with the 10 shot scoring system.

10 shot scoring is pure accuracy to the max. So much so, some make the argument that the target is so hard you have to be lucky to get a good score.

I guess it kinda proves you can't make everyone happy.

TKH

Friend TDX:

I highlighted two of your sentences...

TDX, when IR-50 first started one could win the two heavy classes with 245 x 9X type scores, and the sporta class with a 240 or so score...

So a faulty round of ammo was hidden by the inaccuracy level of that day.

Today is different.....

You don't shoot 250 with a big X count, and you ain't going to draw a smell at a big national event.

Today a faulty round, which the competitor has no control over, can take the best shooter with the best equipment and make him/her an also ran.

I remember a feller shooting a 248 x 24X card and getting beat by someone with half that number of X's....

TDX, the accuracy level of RFBR is so high today, that it's turned IR-50 scoring into a lottery system.

IR-50 scoring has been outdated for years, now.

And the attendance figures at major IR events compared to ARA demonstrate that.

Yes, IR needs 275 scoring......in today's RFBR level of accuracy.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Yes, 10 Shot is different.......

But.....................

It is so difficult, and the scores are so low, that it simply will never have a big following.....

Oh yes, the "players" of RFBR will shoot it.........which amounts to maybe 10% of the RFBR population.

Friend TDX:

I highlighted two of your sentences...

TDX, when IR-50 first started one could win the two heavy classes with 245 x 9X type scores, and the sporta class with a 240 or so score...

So a faulty round of ammo was hidden by the inaccuracy level of that day.

Today is different.....

You don't shoot 250 with a big X count, and you ain't going to draw a smell at a big national event.

Today a faulty round, which the competitor has no control over, can take the best shooter with the best equipment and make him/her an also ran.

I remember a feller shooting a 248 x 24X card and getting beat by someone with half that number of X's....

TDX, the accuracy level of RFBR is so high today, that it's turned IR-50 scoring into a lottery system.

IR-50 scoring has been outdated for years, now.

And the attendance figures at major IR events compared to ARA demonstrate that.

Yes, IR needs 275 scoring......in today's RFBR level of accuracy.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Yes, 10 Shot is different.......

But.....................

It is so difficult, and the scores are so low, that it simply will never have a big following.....

Oh yes, the "players" of RFBR will shoot it.........which amounts to maybe 10% of the RFBR population.

You are right. But for whatever reasons it wasn’t done.

How knows, maybe down the road things will change.

Until then we just keep on keeping on.

TKH

I believe love is the answer but I carry a handgun just in case!

Friend Geo

I don't shoot IR50, but is that even possible?:confused:

Friend Geo:

A homework assignment:

When you have time, go to the IR-50 web site and study the scoring rules.

Then when you have time, please report back as to how one can shoot a 248 x 24X target.

Your friend, BC

Geo: Follow Bill's advice. It is not only possible, it has been done. I was shooting on the bench next to the guy when he shot the 248- 24x card. bob

Howdy Bob,

That had to be interesting.

If I recall right, I think I've seen Wilbur Harris post about shooting a 250-0x.....a couple of times. It would be hard to take shooting a 248-24x and losing to a 250-0x.

Take care,

Greg

Who shot the 248 x 24X card?

Who shot the 248 x 24X card?:

Tony TDX Harper, that's who.

You know, if there were ever a single instance that demonstrates just how outdated IR-50 scoring is, it has to be this 248 x 24X target TDX fired.

RFBR accuracy today is way far to advanced for the IR-50 scoring to be anything but a lottery.

"But Calfee, folks know the rules when they go to an IR-50 Big National Event."

That's exactly right, and the IR attendance compared to ARA Big National Events shows it.

Your friend, BC

PS:

404tbang brought up the subject of a 250 x 0X target....

I know TDX, fairly well.........................

If the competitor that beat TDX that day, when he kicked out his 248 x 24X card, had kicked out a 250 x 0X, I guarantee TDX would have gladly handed him/her the trophy....

What would be harder to do, a 250 x 25X or a 250 x 0X?

In my opinion, it would be something on the order of 10 times more difficult to kick out a 250 x 0X than a 250 x 25X card.

Actually, it might be on the order of 100 times more difficult....

Who shot the 248 x 24X card?:

Tony TDX Harper, that's who.

You know, if there were ever a single instance that demonstrates just how outdated IR-50 scoring is, it has to be this 248 x 24X target TDX fired.

RFBR accuracy today is way far to advanced for the IR-50 scoring to be anything but a lottery.

"But Calfee, folks know the rules when they go to an IR-50 Big National Event."

That's exactly right, and the IR attendance compared to ARA Big National Events shows it.

Your friend, BC

PS:

404tbang brought up the subject of a 250 x 0X target....

I know TDX, fairly well.........................

If the competitor that beat TDX that day, when he kicked out his 248 x 24X card, had kicked out a 250 x 0X, I guarantee TDX would have gladly handed him/her the trophy....

What would be harder to do, a 250 x 25X or a 250 x 0X?

In my opinion, it would be something on the order of 10 times more difficult to kick out a 250 x 0X than a 250 x 25X card.

Actually, it might be on the order of 100 times more difficult....

If I remember the guy that won that card shot a 250 14X. There were two or three other guys with 250's as well.

Didn't matter, I lost and knew I lost just as soon as I saw that bullet hit the target.

Just another "Oh Sxxt".

Did I bump the rifle? Did I miss a condition? Did the trigger hang? Was it a bad bullet? Did the bullet strike something in air?

I don't know, but I know the bullet did not go where I thought it would!.

I see the humor in it now, I didn't then.

Makes you realize just how lucky we are when we get through a whole card or match without problems.

Just yesterday I had a shot that just fell out of the sky. I was shooting along had a favorable wind. Shot this aiming point on two previous cards.

Rifle and bullets were working and then that bullet just dropped almost two rings. This time I was lucky other people had their own problems.

Over the years I have always been very creative in finding ways to lose.

That is shooting folks! And I love it.

TKH

Friend TDX

Friend TDX

Friend TDX:

This is a little off subject.....

But..................

Do you think you'll ever own a rifle that is more accurate than the original TACK DRIVER, or TDX?

Your friend, BC

Friend TDX

Friend TDX:

This is a little off subject.....

But..................

Do you think you'll ever own a rifle that is more accurate than the original TACK DRIVER, or TDX?

Your friend, BC

I really don't know. I may have one now that is in the same league as those two. However, I may be too far over the hill to get the best out of it.

Time will tell.

One thing those rifles did was inspire confidence. When I let them down I felt bad about it.

When you shoot this stuff enough you know when you are screwing up. The older I get the more I screw up.

As I've aged the stress of shooting the target and the desire to get finished overcomes my stamina and ability to maintain discipline.

I pull the trigger when I shouldn't have, and it cost me.

This is especially bad if I have to travel a long way to get to a match. Being tired before I start exacerbates the problem.

When I was younger I could drive all night and shoot all day, but no more. I need rest to recover from a long drive or it will not go well.

The IR 50/50 Ten shot Nationals, and the IR 50/50 Unlimited Nationals are this weekend and I've already made my excuses.

Hope to see everyone there!

TKH

Back
Top Bottom