Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Wilkinson Turbo FP Spring

  1. #1

    Wilkinson Turbo FP Spring

    Can these springs still be had and, if so, how can I get a few?

    Thanks

    Tony

  2. #2

    Friend aslap

    Quote Originally Posted by aslap View Post
    Can these springs still be had and, if so, how can I get a few?

    Thanks

    Tony

    ________________________________




    Friend aslap:


    I don't presume to speak for Tom Wilkinson, OK?


    So....................



    I don't think he sells springs as part of his involvement in the advancement of rimfire accuracy.


    Tom spends a ton of money on MD-PAS spring R&D.....


    Because he knows, as I do, that MD-PAS ignition has dominated RFBR for the past 23 years, and will continue to dominate it in the future...



    If Tom Wilkinson does sell his springs to the general RFBR public, I apologize for this post.


    Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

  3. #3

    Thank

    Bill,
    Thanks! I thought they might be available like the Pepper springs.

    Maybe you can answer this - I have a 10x action and of course I can稚 get springs from them. Would springs from Anthony DiOrio work in the 10x?

    Tony

  4. #4

    Friend aslap

    Quote Originally Posted by aslap View Post
    Bill,
    Thanks! I thought they might be available like the Pepper springs.

    Maybe you can answer this - I have a 10x action and of course I can’t get springs from them. Would springs from Anthony DiOrio work in the 10x?

    Tony

    __________________________________



    Friend aslap:


    I don't know the answer to your question.....you might contact Anthony...

    ___________________________


    Friend aslap, there's nothing you can't do with the Pepper spring.


    The Pepper spring will allow you to tear the head off the case, even with the DiOrio Crescent, if you wish, or, have such mild PAS ignition that you will have occasional failures to fire.



    There is no degree of MD-PAS ignition that can not be accomplished with the Pepper.


    The Pepper is the "universal" MD-PAS ignition spring.


    Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

  5. #5

    Thanks, again!

    Bill,

    I値l work with the Pepper springs. I知 seeing what I think is an ignition issue and was/am looking for as many possible solutions as I can find.

    Tony

  6. #6

    Friend aslap

    Quote Originally Posted by aslap View Post
    Bill,

    I値l work with the Pepper springs. I知 seeing what I think is an ignition issue and was/am looking for as many possible solutions as I can find.

    Tony


    ____________________________



    Friend aslap:


    Be glad to help.......


    Your friend, BC

  7. #7

    Thanks again!

    Bill,

    I don稚 want to take a lot of your time but I知 seeing 2 shots in one hole and the third out mainly low. I have had the original 10x spring in the rifle for three years and maybe 5 bricks through it in that time. I pulled the spring and it is a good 3/8 shorter than a spare 10x spring that I have. I have the Pepper in there now and it痴 really driving the FP hard. The FP indent looks like somebody took a hammer and chisel to it.

    So far, Wednesday is shaping up to be a day to shoot here in Pittsburgh. I figure I値l see what happens and if it appears that the Pepper hasn稚 done anything or made things worse, I値l start trimming coils.

    Tony

  8. #8

    Friend aslap

    Quote Originally Posted by aslap View Post
    Bill,

    I don稚 want to take a lot of your time but I知 seeing 2 shots in one hole and the third out mainly low. I have had the original 10x spring in the rifle for three years and maybe 5 bricks through it in that time. I pulled the spring and it is a good 3/8 shorter than a spare 10x spring that I have. I have the Pepper in there now and it痴 really driving the FP hard. The FP indent looks like somebody took a hammer and chisel to it.

    So far, Wednesday is shaping up to be a day to shoot here in Pittsburgh. I figure I値l see what happens and if it appears that the Pepper hasn稚 done anything or made things worse, I値l start trimming coils.

    Tony


    ____________________________


    Friend aslap:



    Over driving the pin is as bad as under driving it.


    Before you do any actual shooting, with the Pepper, you need to see how far your pin is off its mechanical stop, when fired.


    Before you start to check this, make sure the firing pin actually rests on its mechanical stop, when the breech bolt is de-cocked.


    It should be.........but check anyway.


    Then insert the bolt in the action and de-cock it.


    Your extractors should hold the bolt to the rear, so the locking lugs are on their seats.


    If not, physically hold the de-cocked bolt to the rear, someway.


    Also, in the de-cocked position the bolt handle should have some up and down "play"....


    This "play" indicates that the cocking teat in not resting in the bottom of the cocking notch, which you don't want it to do..




    Then measure from the back of the tang to the back of the firing pin, and record this measurement.


    Next insert a round and fire it...........do not open the breech bolt......


    Measure from the back of the tang to the back of the firing pin, again......and record the measurement.


    I like to see at least .010" difference between these two measurements.......


    This difference is how far your pin is off its mechanical stop, when fired.



    I used to use .005" as my mechanical stop minimum.......but got in trouble a couple times, so I changed to .010" as the minimum.




    Now.........................



    There's a ton of things, besides faulty ignition, that can cause a gun to shoot as you describe.


    Bedding, for instance......................is a big one.


    Good luck....


    Your friend, BC

  9. #9

    Here it is

    Bill,

    The rifle was bedded by a well known rimfire smith. I have 3 barrels for this action and all of them are doing the same thing. I have a Shilen ratchet on there now and it is headspaced at 0.046". This barrel is shimmed to the action so I could tighten that up if needed.

    The FP is up against the stop when the bolt is decocked. After firing a round (Center X), the measurement shows 0.0145" so than seems good. But, man, that poor case looks abused! I'll try to get a pic of it in a post.

    Thanks for chiming in on this! I certainly appreciate it.

    Tony

    PS - the other barrels are a Muller 4 MI and a Lilja tight bore.

  10. #10

    Friend aslap

    Quote Originally Posted by aslap View Post
    Bill,

    The rifle was bedded by a well known rimfire smith. I have 3 barrels for this action and all of them are doing the same thing. I have a Shilen ratchet on there now and it is headspaced at 0.046". This barrel is shimmed to the action so I could tighten that up if needed.

    The FP is up against the stop when the bolt is decocked. After firing a round (Center X), the measurement shows 0.0145" so than seems good. But, man, that poor case looks abused! I'll try to get a pic of it in a post.

    Thanks for chiming in on this! I certainly appreciate it.

    Tony

    PS - the other barrels are a Muller 4 MI and a Lilja tight bore.


    _______________________________



    Friend aslap:


    I just came in and turned on my machine and saw your post...


    Friend aslap, your bedding may be perfect, or it may not.......


    The only accurate way to check bedding, that I know of, is with a dial indicator mounted between the barrel and fore end of the stock...


    If bedding were the issue, yes, all three barrels would act exactly the same.


    Now.........................


    We need some more info.....



    How deep is the counter bore in your bolt nose?


    When de-cocked, how far does the firing pin protrude through the counter bore in the bolt nose?


    You will probably need to pull the extractors to get some of this info.


    What's the firing pin tip shape, and condition?


    ____________________________



    Friend aslap, if your FP is .014" off the mechanical stop, and .046" HS, unless you have some odd circumstance, which is why I asked the additional questions, you can't be over driving the pin, no matter what the footprint looks like.



    Your friend, BC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •