Thread: Friend Paul Tolvstad

Friend Paul Tolvstad

Friend Paul Tolvstad

Friend Paul Tolvstad:

PT, Jeff Patterson has a Muller Modified 4-MI, and will push some slugs through it and send them to you...

I do not have one.......the most recent one I had is in the hands of a competitor, and it may turn out to be the most accurate RFBR gun on Earth....

Actually, it is..................( that's a story I hope to be able to report on one day in the future..)

But for the time being........................

J-PAT has already had requests for him to fit Modified 4-MI's......if they can be had...

So have I..............although I don't do RRBR schmidt work any longer, as everyone knows...

PT, as everyone knows I've advocated the Muller Corrugated 8 for some years now....

But............................

My gut tells me the Muller Modified 4-MI may actually be the RFBR barrel of the future, instead....

PT, when you get the slugs from J-PAT, please confirm if they are from the button you and Dan found...OK.

Your friend, Bill pistol fool Calfee

PS:

PT, this is where we're headed.......the most citing RFBR gun on Earth.....

Name:  DSC00107 - Copy.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  136.9 KB

Going against the grain....

Going against the grain....

Friend PT:

Why would I go against the grain of contemporary RFBR barrel rifling design, which I term "trick" rifling, which gives the competitor a wind sensitivity advantage over traditional rifling patterns?

If you don't think I've been asking myself that same question, you'd be wrong, cause I've spent hours pondering why I now feel like I do...

And I've come up with a theory.....

The one exception to my theory may be the Corrugated 8.........I say may be.....as I'm not sure, yet.

Trick barrels like the Muller 4-MI, Muller 90 Driver, Shilen ratchet and the Broughton 4 and 5 C, and Shilen octagon, when taper lapped, narrows the width of the lands at the breech end of the bore, while at the same time taper is being induced.

Again, the corrugated 8 may be the exception here, and I've got a theory as to why, also....??

Anyway, the Muller Modified 4-MI, when taper lapped, does not narrow the width of the lands at the breech end of the bore, while taper is being induced....

PT, the most recent Modified 4-MI I fit, was a blank Dan had sent me un-lapped, which allowed me to do the entire lapping.

To use your tern, "that barrel didn't fight me......."

PT, when I was complete with the lapping, you, or anyone, could take a loupe and examine the breech and muzzle ends of the bore, and it would be impossible for anyone to tell which was which...

Anyone can tell the breech end of the bore from the muzzle end on a barrel that has the breech end washed out...

Note......one can not do this with the ratchet or 90 driver since they are one directional rifling patterns, so the bore at the muzzle looks different than the bore at the breech...

The reason being, you see the vertical driving side of the lands from the breech end, but they are invisible when viewed from the muzzle end...

Therefore..............................

Even if it's going against the grain, I'm starting to believe the Modified 4-MI may turn out the be the barrel of the future.

Because it's so easy to taper lap without washing out the breech end of the bore, and, the lapping process does not narrow the lands at the breech end of the bore.

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Name:  DSC00107 (2).jpg
Views: 169
Size:  108.9 KB