Thread: What's different now?

What's different now?

What's different now?

CYA gun fool friends:

What's different now that's changed my opinion on the RFBR barrel of the future?

CYA friends, before my pick was based on which rifling pattern would give the greatest percentage of taper lapped barrels, without washing out the breech end of the bore.

If I were starting a new build today with a "properly" taper lapped Shilen ratchet, I'd feel very confident I could produce a RFBR gun capable of winning Big National Events, that is if I didn't screw up.

I can say the same thing about the Muller 4-MI, 90 Driver and Corrugated 8, and the Muller Modified 4-MI.

If..........................

Each of these barrels were properly taper lapped......

Until some recent revelations, the Corrugated 8 was my pick as the RFBR barrel of the future, because it is so forgiving as to having the breech end washed out by the taper lapping process...

So.........................

What's different now?

Here's the difference that has caused me to change my mind about the RFBR barrel of the future:

The Muller Modified 4-MI is not only as easy to taper lap as the Corrugated 8, without washing out the breech end of the bore....

The taper lapping process does not thin the width of the lands at the breech end of the bore, like happens to the other trick barrels.

CYA friends, a caveat here:

The Corrugated 8 may possess this same quality...

But......................

I can prove the Muller Modified 4-MI does not thin the lands at the breech end....

I've not figured a way to prove, or disprove, it yet about the corrugated 8.

Finally.....................

This narrowing of the lands at the breech is a major consideration......

I know I shouldn't keep saying this......but...

There's a very good chance the most accurate RFBR gun in the world wears a Muller Modified 4-MI barrel....

And someday the story of why I keep saying this may be told.......with permission of the owner of this RFBR gun.

This land narrowing at the breech is so critical......

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

What a day for a daydream.....

Name:  DSC00107 - Copy.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  136.9 KB

Came out of the blue....

Came out of the blue....

CYA gun fool friends:

This Muller Modified 4-MI thing came out of the blue, from nowhere...

When I first saw one I didn't like it, cause it wasn't trick.

But I've changed my mind....

The ability to taper lap the Modified 4-MI without washing out the breech end of the bore equally as well as the corrugated 8, if not actually easier.................

Plus...........................

The land width at the breech end of the bore is not narrowed when the Modified 4-MI is taper lapped....

All other trick barrels do have the land width thinned at the breech end of the bore by the taper lapping process....to some degree...

The only possible exception may be the corrugate 8........maybe?

And to top it off, the biggie....

Possibly the most accurate RFBR gun in the world wears a Muller Modified 4-MI....

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

One other thing....well two other things...

I've posted about Big Dog stopping by the range last evening on another forum topic....the Jim Peightal post I made...

But I've got to say this:

Last evening I was testing an alteration I had made to JIMMY JACK.......

No one was at the range but me....

Then I heard someone coming up the grade to the firing line...

I turned around and my eyes bugged out....

I said to myself, that's either Duck Hawk, TDX or Big Dog.......

Cause Big Dog's got one of those white Chevrolet Suburbans........like the ole Hawk and TDX drive...

Now.................a story....

When I saw Big Dog drive in, unexpected, it reminded me of something that happened about 15 years ago at the range one evening...

It was Friday evening and I was sitting at the bench shooting, I was the only one at the range when a vehicle pulled in, just like Big Dog did.

Then two shooters from Michigan stepped out, Paul and Pete........

( you might want to sit down, if you're standing, before you finish reading this)

So Paul and Pete said "Hello", and I returned......

Then I said, "Are you guys on vacation or something, just passing through?"

Then Paul said that he and Pete had just got a motel room and thought they'd drive out to the range to see if anyone was around......

I didn't know what to say to them......

But finally I got up the nerve to inform Paul and Pete that the big match was next Saturday, not tomorrow...

You talk about two long faces on two fellers.........

I felt so sorry for them...

Here they had driven over 400 miles, only to find out they were a week early....

I'd love to have been a little mouse hiding in their vehicle as they headed home, just to hear the conversation...

True story.....................................bc

Name:  DSC01227 - Copy (4) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  28.8 KB